Your honest opinions needed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 08:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your honest opinions needed...

Ok, so I'm going to buy my first luxury car (a coupe) very soon and the 2003 Acura CL seems like the most car for the money, hands down. I'm also looking at the new Infinity G35 (very sharp car) and a few other cars including the BMW 330 (a little too pricey with options and I don't want to be a "beemer guy"). I won't go into all of the positive things about the CL since most if not all of you already own one... but the recurring tranny problems I keep hearing about is the only minus (and it's a major concern to be sure).

I'd like to hear everyone's honest opinion on this car... this will be my first car that I've been able to afford that has "everything I want," so I don't want to screw up... I want to drive it for at LEAST 7 years and I'm looking to spend around 33k max... Again, the CL seems like the best bang for the buck, but wondering if the tranny problems are a show-stopper. I suppose just getting the 6 speed manual is another way around this problem...

Advice / anecdotes are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
if you want the manual trans, go for it.

i would hesitate to recommend the auto until we know for a fact the chronic tranny problem is resolved.

this is coming from someone who hasn't had a trans replaced....yet.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:40 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I think you answered your own question.... For a max of $33K, you can foget about a 3 series or even a G35 Coupe. Unless you're willing to wait a year or so until the G35 prices drop to reasonable levels.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:01 PM
The hair says it all

Originally posted by Tom2
I think you answered your own question.... For a max of $33K, you can foget about a 3 series or even a G35 Coupe. Unless you're willing to wait a year or so until the G35 prices drop to reasonable levels.

if you can push the budget a bit more, G35 all the way. If you can push it a bit more past that, 330ci all the way! But if not, 3.2 is an amazing car for what you get. And auto is totally geh (and i DO have auto in a 3.0cl)
Old 01-18-2003, 12:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the 6 speed CL. Or if you want the auto, you can risk it, the problem doesn't affect all the CLs. Some people have had their CLs for quite a while with no problems at all. And if you want it for 7 years, the tranny is warrantied for exactly that.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:24 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with Mattg...I'd hesitate to recommend the CLS auto but defintely recommend the CLS6. I own a 2003 TLS and I love the car...all except for the constant worry of the tranny going on me. The car is awesome but the worry takes some of the pleasure out you know.

Personally I still like the CLS6 over the G35c but both are awesome! 330ci is sweet too, just a bit too expensive.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:26 AM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i believe the 03 auto are fixed, but if u like manuals get a 6 speed, i got a 03 auto and am more than happy with it, i couldnt imagne driving anything else in this price range
Old 01-18-2003, 08:49 AM
Instructor

Thanks very much for the responses...

I appreciate the input. In short, I would rather have the 6spd manual anyway, but living in Washington, D.C., and being in stop & go traffic almost constantly makes it difficult at best to drive a manual.

So, it seems from reading the boards other than the auto tranny, most CL-S owners are pretty happy with the car and that's heartening. The Infinity G35 looks better but i heard it doesn't out-perform the CL-S and is not quite as luxurious - plus it costs even more. The BMW 330 is out of reach, and I would not spend that much money on that car anyway...

I'm still leaning towards the CL-S, will continue to research and watch the board and think about buying the manual. For under 30k, the car seems unbeatable by any of the competitors out there...

Thanks again and have a nice, safe holiday weekend.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:54 AM
Rep the 305

For 33k you can afford a G35 Coupe. Its worth a few months wait.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:59 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally posted by BIG POPPA
For 33k you can afford a G35 Coupe. Its worth a few months wait.
Not that I'm taking sides either way, but in reality, he could probably get a 6 speed CL-S Navi (obviously fully loaded) for around $30,000, or maybe even a few bucks less.

A fully loaded G35 Coupe Navi is closer to $40,000 than $30,000. Besides, the G35 Coupes are selling AT MSRP, and I'm sure they will continue that way for nearly a year.

As much as I like the G35 Coupe, a real world difference of about $8000 (for comparably equipped cars) would make me look real hard at the CL-S
Old 01-18-2003, 04:09 PM
It's Always Shabbat

I have a 01 CL-S and would buy it again in a heartbeat. I don't see what all the craze is about the G35. I test drove that car right when it came out, and was not impressed by the drive. I felt like I was in a sedar, more than a luxury coupe. It's more familyish, and the radio and controls are not nearly as sexy as the CL-S, except for the rad analog clock.

G35 will come and go.. Not worth it.. something about Nissan's and Infinity's that just don't feel right to me.

Elliot
Old 01-18-2003, 05:46 PM
Instructor

I would go with the 6 speed CL S if you plan to buy an Acura. I plan to trade my CL S for a G35 soon. Both are great cars, it's just a matter of what you prefer.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:35 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the $$ you can't beat the CL-S, i also read in another thread that Acura is offering a $2000 rebate on 03s, you should check that out. I wouldn't let the auto tranny scare you, every car has problems and although you wouldn't know it by the Hysteria at times on this forum, the problems has only affected a small percentage and is warranted for 100k miles.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Again, thanks everyone...

for your opinions, I appreciate the input to what will be a fairly big decision.

RedRider, I had heard that Acura was giving a $1k "dealer incentive" for each unit sold, but haven't heard about the $2k rebate on the 03 models... Does anyone happen to have a link to an official announcement of this, just for verification purposes? Hope it's true, would like to find out when it expires as wel... that certainly would tip the scale all the way in favor ot a CL-S 6 speed for me!

Thanks again...
Old 01-19-2003, 10:33 AM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by Tom2
Exactly, for under $33K you'd only be able to get a CL-S right now. Would I recommend that you get an auto CL-S, no! If you don't mind the 6-speed, then that's a possibility. Or go with the auto if you're feeling lucky and/or actually believe Honda when they say that the tranny issue has already been fixed. But seriously, if you plan on keeping this car 7 years, there's no way I'd go with an auto Honda/Acura.

And as far as the G35 goes, it's still a first year car so I'd wait on that one. Maybe they'll end up having even more pproblems than the CL, who knows. Plus, like other people have mentioned, I don't know what all the hype is about, the car is nice, but not all that. And it's definitely not worth $35K+ in my eyes, but this is all subjective, just go and test drive one. I think the interior is crap, but that's just my opinion. Maybe it's because I drove the sedan, but I plan on testing out the coupe sometime soon because it is a nice car. I hope the interior feels somewhat better in the coupe, that prices start coming down, and that no major issues arise after it's been out for a year or so.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:12 PM
It's Always Shabbat

I'm not sure why nobody talks about the problems with the G35.

http://www.safetyalerts.com/recall/a/02/v00358.htm

The Acura is a much better choice, and it looks better.

- EllioT
Old 01-19-2003, 02:51 PM
I love my G sedan

Acura 3.2CL Type S or
Infiniti G35 coupe or
Nissan 350Z(if you don't mind 2 seater) or
Honda Accord EX V6 coupe are the Japanese coupes I like the most so far.

For $33,000 I would recommend CL-S with navigation system, especially if you want a manual transmission for the car. One good thing about Acura is that you don't need to think about options and packages because everything comes with the car already, and the only non-standard things are the navi and the on-star thing(is it?). If you can spend $36,000, I would say G35 coupe tops CL. Exterior style of the G35 coupe is just too beautiful, man frankly I am a sedan guy, but this coupe is like a very very curvaceous lady with a pretty face, attracts my eyes. If you want to save some money for further modification, why not get a fully-loaded Accord? Very sporty looking and yet super reliable, no subsequent hassels. Among the four choices listed above, I would not recommend 350Z that much when considering everyday driving and practicality, what if you want to drive your other half's siblings or parents to places? Since this is your first car, I assume you don't have another SUV or sedan to do that kind of jobs. Well anyways, it's just my idea. One last thing, as far as the German cars, I would say forget about them, even 3-series is the handling king, why spend so much more in exchange for that little extra fun?
Old 01-19-2003, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Thanks again for the thoughtful responses...

I really appreciate them. It's a big decision I'll have to live with for the next 7 years or so. I love the options and performance of the CL-S, really unbeatable for the price. But I have to admit the new Infinity G35 coupe is a sweet car with sexy lines and a great engine as well. I used to own a '95 Maxima SE, drove it for 4 years without a single problem, so I know that they make a sturdy car - just like Honda/Acura does as well. The G35 is just a little out of my price range though when equipped with the same options that come standard on a CL-S.

Decisions, decisions.... I'm looking to buy at the end of February so all of this input has given me a heap to ponder. Sports coupes have been inhabiting my dreams lately as I've been thinking hard about this decision.

Thanks again, and also am interested to see if anyone else has driven both the G35 and the CL-S, and if so how did you think they compare in comfort, performance, and handling.

Cheers

PS - Someone mentioned that Acura was offering a $2k rebate on the 2003 CLs, but I've had no luck confirming this on the web... anyone have first-hand knowledge and/or a link? Thanks.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:47 AM
Unregistered Member

Originally posted by elliot
I'm not sure why nobody talks about the problems with the G35.

http://www.safetyalerts.com/recall/a/02/v00358.htm

The Acura is a much better choice, and it looks better.

- EllioT
I believe that recall only affect the 4 door G35, not the Coupe, which is what he's interested in anyway...

Also, if he wanted to buy a G35 today, that recall wouldn't apply anyway. It would have already been corrected at the assembly plant, or at the very least, the dealer would have corrected it before it was sold.

Once a recall is issued, cars can't be sold that have the defect.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:29 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The 1K isn't a rebate, it is being offered to the dealers. You may be able to negotiate some of the kickback to the dearler, but that's information which you should retain in your back pocket until you see how much he is willing to deal. Haven't seen anything 'bout a 2K rebate in the press or anywhere else.
Also, it's a fact - the Sept recall is a voluntary recall for the G35 sedan - doesn't affect the coupe. Don't know if this is an issue, but if you're over 6'3, headroom may be a problem in the G35c. It's one of the major reasons keeping me from trading my '98 M3 for it. All considered, the CL-S is much roomier all around than the G35c, and even though the critics don't much care for our interiors, I think it's much easier to live with on a daily basis than the somewhat quirky G35 interiors.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:01 PM
Instructor

Good info, thanks

I'm guessing that since the dealer is geting an extra $1k from Acura for every unit, they SHOULD have a little more wiggle room on the price...

Well, I test drove the Infinity G35 today (auto), nice tight car and it IS a sexy girl. But IMO, the CL-S feels more "solid" and they seem to have about the same kick, though I couldn't get on the G35 too much. I also like the interior of the CL-S better, feels more plush to me.

With the price difference, I'm going for the CL-S with a 6 spd. manual tranny and rear spoiler. Probably will wait until the end of Feb to get a little more down payment together. WOO HOO!! I'm pumped, I really think this is the BEST car on the market for the cash... and I can use the difference in money to have a nice vacation or three this year

I'm THINKING I should be able to get one right at invoice, maybe a little below since they are not selling well at all in my area, and the $1k dealer rebate in effect until the end of March. Any thoughts?? Am I being too optimistic? The dealer I'm looking at has about 28 CL-Ss on their lot right now, that has to be costing them a small bundle... I'm guessing they would like to move a unit badly.

Again, my thanks for all the input, have enjoyed reading the replies and other threads on this site... lots of info that I couldn't have hoped to find anywhere else.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:25 PM
Rod
Drifting

Good choice! You'll probably be able to get one for below invoice, but I'm not too sure about this on the 6 speed. And for the price difference you can practically have any of the mods you want right now.

I don't think the G35 felt as fast as it really is when I test drove it because its power delivery is much more linear, or at least feels that way. But I love the VTEC kick and growl of my CL.