You think CL's have problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 01:59 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by charliemike:
<STRONG>What ever happened to rev limiters?

Over-revving? What is this, "Days of Thunder"?

Sheesh </STRONG>
If you go in hard enough, there is nothing that can stop it. Most rev-limiters will stop the the engine when accereating or during light downshift errors. For example, if you downshift a BMW from 5th to 2nd going 115, the techs that read the engine error codes will see that you revved to 14,000 rpms :p
Old 10-09-2001, 02:29 AM
9th Gear

Originally posted by soopa:
<STRONG>RSX owners keep blowing their motors!

How can that be?!?!?..Hot lips?

phil2 blew out his motor this weekend... says he doesnt remember mishifting or anything... just went out.

"...just went out." And some
knumb knuts are blaming Honda?!?
Get real! I've left "T" cases
and bottom ends on the street and
never had the balls to complain to
G.M. And BMW third members, too.
The German crap is not immune to
driver error or being pounded either.

If you go to RSX forum every other thread is about a blown motor.

They ought to either practice in
slow motion or buy automatics, and
cut out the whining.

I'll take a tranny problem here or there any day </STRONG>
Old 10-09-2001, 02:47 AM
efx
Instructor

Downshifting at high speed is cool if you know what you are doing. I understand accidents can happen but there is a redline for a reason. I have made the same mistake but as soon as I hear the revs going to high I hit that cluth like a bullit. If you do the same thin on a bmw,mercedes or any other you will also blow the engine. At least that is my 2C's
Old 10-09-2001, 07:20 AM
Cruisin'

thas sad as hell
and on top of that no warrantee coverage
one other thing is that, downshifting like that maybe neccessary to avoid accidents
acura must of not figured that out
sigh.....
Old 10-09-2001, 10:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by j83:
<STRONG>thas sad as hell
and on top of that no warrantee coverage
one other thing is that, downshifting like that maybe neccessary to avoid accidents
acura must of not figured that out
sigh.....</STRONG>
when is downshifting like that necessary to avoid accidents?

too avoid an accident:

1) use the brake to stop
2) steer out of the way
3) accelerate out of the way.

if you're already at redline in 3rd and want to accelerate more to get out of the way, you'd naturally UPSHIFT to 4th, NOT 2nd. 2nd would do 1 of 2 things...blow the engine or slow you down which is OPPOSITE of what you were intending to do if you are using that excuse.

and on top of that, if you're at redline in 3rd, you're going way too fast...if you weren't going this fast, there probably wouldn't be a potential accident to avoid!

so these people who blew their engines...were they avoiding accidents? 'cuz if they were and their engine blew, wouldn't they have gotten into accidents also, which doesn't seem to be the case here?
Old 10-09-2001, 12:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

The warranty doesn't (and shouldn't) cover someone's lack of skill in operating a manual transmission. There is nothing wrong with those motors.

Yanking the head will tell you in 5 seconds whether or not the motor has been overrevved. A dealer near me has already has two RSX's that I know of destroyed on TEST DRIVES because of mis-shifting.
Old 10-09-2001, 01:22 PM
Racer

While I can sympathize on both sides of this argument, I do have one observation. Is Acura telling people who buy these car about the possibility of blowing the engine? I know that when I bought my CL-S the guy who came along for the test drive was encouraging me to see what the car would do. There was never any talk about possibly damaging the car. While we should all know better, we, too, think that a "Acura" would have safeguards built in to prevent this type of damage. Then to come along and say Oh by the way, don't do X, Y, or Z after the fact, doesn't say anything positive for the company's integrity!
Old 10-09-2001, 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

This isn't an Acura-related problem. Anyone who does this to ANY brand of car with a manual transmission will break it.

And it's not an integrity issue at all. There's nothing inherently wrong with the cat that's causing the motors to blow. If you can't drive a manual transmission, don't buy a car with one. Or at least drive it sanely until you learn.
Old 10-09-2001, 01:57 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is neither a reliability or durability issue- its poor driving!!! If you force the trans into a low gear at higher speed, there is no way a rev limiter will help- the rpms will go way past the red line and things will break. This is not an Acura issue- it will happen in any manual trans car- even Nascar cars will do it. Now some people expect Acura to engineer an error (read idiot) proof gear selector and still provide sports performance. Maybe they can, maybe not- I'm sure it would be costly. Sometimes we have to accept the blame for our own mistakes instead of trying to put it off on someone or something else. I have heard that Acura is actually helping some of these people- even if it is their own fault. I don't know of this personally, but if it is true, they should be thanking thier lucky stars and Acura- not bitching!
Old 10-09-2001, 07:09 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry wayne but i have to disagree. i fell it is acuras responsibility to tell consumers of the possibility of engine blowing and that the car is not equipped with a gear lockout...this is what my dealer has sent me along with a $9800 bill. i purchased my car on july 20th and this bulletin came out on the 3rd...i feel that this should have sent not only to the dealer but also to the consumers directly warning them (and their unskilled manual driving girlfriends)!

Old 10-09-2001, 07:14 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by SilverCLS:
<STRONG>Hey soopa- Do you live right in Albany, or in the suburbs. I live real close and I've seen a few CL's. What color is yours? </STRONG>
Yea, I live IN Albany.

My current CL-S is Black... no visual changes except for new grill and red calipers.

My last CL-S was Red & lowered.

Glad to see someone from the area on here! Thought I was all alone.

I've seen a bunch of silver CL's... have you modified yours at all?

Are YOU "in" Albany or burbs?

I work in Clifton Park, my family is in Colonie... and I often chill with Phil in Schenectady.

So you would see me anywhere in the capital district east of the river.

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: soopa ]
Old 10-09-2001, 09:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally posted by phil2:
<STRONG>sorry wayne but i have to disagree. i fell it is acuras responsibility to tell consumers of the possibility of engine blowing</STRONG>
I would agree with you ONLY if all automobile
companies that sell manual transmissions include this warning when they sell you a vehicle.
Old 10-09-2001, 09:19 PM
Banned

I agree with Chod - if you buy a 6-speed and then wring it out before you get a feel for it and blow a rod through the engine, it's your own damned dumb fault. What's sick is these people who were CLEARLY at fault thinking fuckin acura should foot the bill for their stupidity.

You are responsible for what you do. Stop trying to get the damned dealer to fix your mistakes. If you miss a shift and go to too low a gear, there ain't a damn tranny in the world in the RSX price range that will help you.

Originally posted by ChodTheWacko:
<STRONG>

I would agree with you ONLY if all automobile
companies that sell manual transmissions include this warning when they sell you a vehicle.</STRONG>
Old 10-09-2001, 11:11 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First we get warnings on coffee that if you spill it in your lap you may get burned ! Now we've got to warn people that if they over rev the engine it could create problems ?