Yet anouther SPRING question..

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002 | 04:44 PM
B A N N E D

From: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Yet anouther SPRING question..

A friend is buying my springs and i wanted about a 1-2 inch drop.
Was gonna get the OE sport srpings that drop it anywhere from .5 to an inch depending on what website u go to.
I wanted these instead of the Normal Sport cuz somepeople on the board said a chamber kit was nessecary fro drops over a 1.5 inches, and thats what I want to drop it like 1.5 inches and the sports lower it from 1.5-2 inches.
So i stumbled upon the PAA website, and it says they install the oe Sports and the Sports by H&R and says nuttin about a Chanmber kit but the drop is 1.5 inches?

http://www.parkaveacura.com/comptech/

So my question is simpley:
If i get the Sport Springs (Stage 2) as the PAA website names them , do i need a chamber kit?
And if I dont get a chamber kit will my tires wear quicker?
i really wanna drop it a little more then a inch but DO NOT want comptech cuz the rake look and the $$ I only have $400 fro springs and install?

Anyone want to clear up this chamberkit BS once and for all!??
Old 06-10-2002 | 06:09 PM
B A N N E D

From: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Anyone have the H&R Sport springs, NOT THE OE SPORT SPRINGS?
If so did you require a chamber kit, and how is the ride?
Old 06-10-2002 | 06:45 PM
Instructor

If you drop more than 1.5", you SHOULD GET a camber kit.
Why? Because your car won't align, that is why. And that means excessive tire wear.
All individual cars are a bit different, but you get past 1.5" and you are really rolling the dice about alignment.
Some people don't care too much about alignment and uneven wear. They want the hot look of an aggressive drop, everything else aside. So you deal with issues like rubbing and off whack camber for the hot look.
As far as I know, there is no way to adjust the camber on the front end anyway. Only on the rear can you buy a camber kit.
You can mitigate the issues of a dropped car that won't align by rotating the tires more frequently. The more frequently, the better.
Of course, rotating and ultimately replacing tires is a long term cost you pay for hot looks.
So this is all about a tradeoff. Get the sweet deep drop and deal with rotations or uneven tire wear OR drop conservative and don't worry about it.
I would venture to say (maybe incorrectly) that most folks with CLs and drops in excess of 1.5" do NOT have any camber kits. But I'm pretty sure they are so happy with the looks of their rides.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2002 | 06:51 PM
Mugen Racing Team

Like i said before, good ride, not as rough as you think but be warned that it will be perfect as stock, that is the price you gotta pay for looking better. As for camber, no it doesn't need any, i asked the mechs that did it for me. There was even a TLS parked in the front with H&R Race, (1 finger gap at front, about 1cm tucked in the back fender). This was too low for me so i went Sport, plus the guy with Race didn't need camber as well, and he is also going with stock shocks. If it isn't that terrible, you don't really need it. That is if you want stuff to last longer, but i don't really give a damn, it gives me an excuse to buy new better tires
Old 06-10-2002 | 06:52 PM
Intermediate

I installed Comptech springs and did not need a camber kit.
My drop was exactly 1.0" all around. After the install I a four wheel alignment done and it was well within specs. The shop said I didn't need a kit and would not need one unless I dropped it further. For what it's worth!
Old 06-10-2002 | 07:06 PM
Subie Dubie

Yeah, you should consider Comptechs. Nice drop, raked to the front, good ride and no camber kit necessary. By the way it's more like 1.5 in the front and 1.0 in the back.
Old 06-10-2002 | 08:19 PM
B A N N E D

Yeah I dont think I got the cash for the Comptech's and I want an EVEN drop..
Well I love the drop on 23wt's car, looks hot.
I dont think that PAA acura would Intall the H&R Srings (Stage2) If you needed a chamber kit w/o telling you that on thier website!!!
I have an appointment with PAA wed at 4:20 so I will ask Wayne about the H&R Stage 2 w/o a chamber kit..
Thanks everyone for all your help, but i dont want to be changing my tires every 6 months..
YOu guys were a great help, anyone else want to add there 2 centS!!
Old 06-10-2002 | 08:20 PM
B A N N E D

Originally posted by Red Rider
Yeah, you should consider Comptechs. Nice drop, raked to the front, good ride and no camber kit necessary. By the way it's more like 1.5 in the front and 1.0 in the back.
I want an even drop and the comptechs cost $100 More..
If they where the same price I would get the Comptechs prolly and live with the rake look!
Old 06-10-2002 | 08:22 PM
B A N N E D

Originally posted by 23wt
Like i said before, good ride, not as rough as you think but be warned that it will be perfect as stock, that is the price you gotta pay for looking better. As for camber, no it doesn't need any, i asked the mechs that did it for me. There was even a TLS parked in the front with H&R Race, (1 finger gap at front, about 1cm tucked in the back fender). This was too low for me so i went Sport, plus the guy with Race didn't need camber as well, and he is also going with stock shocks. If it isn't that terrible, you don't really need it. That is if you want stuff to last longer, but i don't really give a damn, it gives me an excuse to buy new better tires
How long have you had your springs?
Did you notice excessive tire wear yet?
Old 06-10-2002 | 11:22 PM
Mugen Racing Team

Originally posted by StonedCL

How long have you had your springs?
Did you notice excessive tire wear yet?
I've had them for 2 months, no wear what so ever... i take quick corners ocassionally, maybe 1 out of every 20 corners. I just lowered it for looks and drive reasonably at good pace. Avoid potholes, drive slowly over curbs and bumps and you'll be find.