Yet another ticket for tint

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 09:48 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another ticket for tint

I had just left my house this morning and i came to an intersection (chruch and township line rd) I saw a cop going in the opposite direction. I continued to drive and about a mile and a half down the road i see a cop pull up behind me with his lights on. I pull over and its an Abington suburb cop, the same as i saw before. He gives me a ticket and tells me how my tint is to dark, blah blah blah. Now let me tell you the weird part, he saw me in Abington twp. but where i got pulled over is philadelphia, about a mile from abington. Can a suburb cop pull me over in Philadelphia? I didn't say anything to the cop cause he wasn't the nicest cop in the world. Whats the deal with this? the ticket is for 104 bones. Im pretty pissed
Old 01-28-2003, 09:50 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
5% tint...you might as well spray paint your windows!!!
Old 01-28-2003, 09:59 AM
I hate the Mets

Damn, I got pulled over in Abington for the same thing 2 years ago....I just dropped a cop's name and got off w/ a warning --

As long as he didn't lose site of you while following you into Philly, he is allowed to pull you over....sorry man, that sucks!
Old 01-28-2003, 10:04 AM
Drifting

What do you expect? Maybe you can sue the company that put the tint on your windows??
Old 01-28-2003, 10:06 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Geez, 5% is just asking for it. That's limo tint.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:15 AM
Drifting

its not that bad
Old 01-28-2003, 10:17 AM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do u have to take the front windows off??
Drifting

Originally posted by Nicky Pass
5% tint...you might as well spray paint your windows!!!
good one
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

yup, at 5 u really dont have much room to complain about the ticket
Old 01-28-2003, 10:23 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Five per cent tint is illegal in PA.

Dark tint scares cops. You can easily conceal a weapon as the cop approaches and blow his head off during a simple traffic stop. I empathize with them in this situation. Their job is hard enough - they shouldn't have to be forced into a defensive pose because they cannot see what's going on.

Dark tint is illegal for a reason.

I'm surprised that you just get a ticket for a $$ amount. If you got a fixit ticket in California you have to make a trek to the local DMV or Sheriff station to have a peace officer VERIFY that you fixed the problem (ie: remove the tint). Quite inconvenient.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:30 AM
Drifting

Im not saying the tint isn't illegal. i KNOW it is. Thats why when a cop pulls me over i roll my windows down so he can atleast see somethin. The ? here was can he pull me over in philly when he's a suburb cop. obviously that was already answered by mc
Old 01-28-2003, 10:35 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
5%!!!

The cops here in IN/IL would make you rip that shit off, right on the spot!!!
Old 01-28-2003, 10:51 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
ya 5% is really dark. Im going with 35% once I find a good shop. I am assuming no one will bother me with that.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:00 AM
What, me drive fast?

I have 35% on the sides, 20% on the rear window and I think that my rear window is pretty damn dark...but 5%...not too suprised about this ticket. I can only imagine what night driving must be like...
Old 01-28-2003, 11:50 AM
Drifting

i know 5% is illegal, but i like the look and i like the privacy. Driving at night is a pain sometimes cause its hard to see your side mirrors but i get by. the cop told me that 25% was the lowest you could go. Im not surprised that i got a ticket. Ive already gotten one last winter. But fawk it, i like the look and my car goes back in august, ill take it off then.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:54 AM
Burning Brakes

You guys are lucky.. My friend got pull over by a cop in CA. The cop gave him a knife and ask him to take off the tint on his front windows right at the spot. No ticket tho... but sticky windows. My friend was really pissed..

I don't think cops have the right to do that right???
Old 01-28-2003, 11:59 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by Marc S
i know 5% is illegal, but i like the look and i like the privacy. Driving at night is a pain sometimes cause its hard to see your side mirrors but i get by. the cop told me that 25% was the lowest you could go. Im not surprised that i got a ticket. Ive already gotten one last winter. But fawk it, i like the look and my car goes back in august, ill take it off then.
According to this site I just found the limit is 30% tint (ie: 70% transmittance). It's a year old but I'm sure it still applies.

It seems that you really can have the shop that installed it fined.
The Consumer Protection Law permits a court to award a consumer reimbursement for the cost of applying the tint and fine the installer up to $1,000 for each willful violation. State and local police enforce the law. The Office of Attorney General Bureau of Consumer Protection can help consumers who believe they have been defrauded by businesses selling them illegal products.
Sue your tinter!
Old 01-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I got arrested cause I forgot to pay a tint ticket...when I got arrested I didnt even have tint on the front..I took it off cause I needed to get inspected. Ended up being hour and a half late for work...and 154 bucks poorer, just for tint.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:08 PM
FEMALE

They should let chicks like me get away with dark tints. The darker the tint is, the less likely I will be hassled by jerk guys hooting and hollering-very obnoxious.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:19 PM
Drifting

"holler-in" is gay anyway...i just say hi im mark whats your name...gets all the women haha
Old 01-28-2003, 02:25 PM
Drifting

same here man, im just like "hi im marc, whats goin on?" works like a charm. must be somethin with the name marc/mark
Old 01-28-2003, 02:48 PM
Safety Car

Damn... California is 0% tint (other than factory-stock tint, which is hardly any tint at all).

Plus here... since they pull you over for tint... they ticket you for front license plate, exhaust, too low, hanging stuff off the rear-view mirror, K&N filter, header, vent-breathers, blah, blah, blah
Old 01-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes 5% tint on your windows is just asking for it. Here in D.C. the legal limit is 50% on the rear window & 75% on the other door windows. SUVs & Minivans with factory tint can get away with it on the rear & rear door or side windows. Its the front driver & passenger windows that you can not have anything darker than 75%. I have 45% on the 4 doors of my TL & 50% rear glass.
D.C. inspection will get you if cops don't every car has to go to inspection every 2yrs in D.C. We have one Inspection station for cars, city buses,trucks, cabs,ect. The legal limit in Maryland is 35% all around & thats were I got mine tinted. Most people should be happy with 35% tint on the windows. The 35 % tint makes every car look good.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:32 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Hot Rum
They should let chicks like me get away with dark tints. The darker the tint is, the less likely I will be hassled by jerk guys hooting and hollering-very obnoxious.
I agree, cut down on visual pollution also!
Old 01-28-2003, 08:43 PM
Team Owner

Like others have said, 5% is WAY too dark in PA.
You’re going to get pulled over again and again.
You said yourself its tough to drive in the dark. Isn’t that telling you something?
In Florida or Texas you may get away with it, but in PA forget it.
You’re probably going to get more tickets before August rolls around.

Shawn S
Old 01-28-2003, 09:09 PM
Race Director

The answer you are looking for is NO. We don't live in your area but if here's what I gather.

You were in Abington. You saw an Abington cop. He saw you with tinted windows in Abington. He turns around to pursue you. By the time he get up behind you and turn on his lights, you are in Philly. No way.

A cop paid by the city of Abington is employed by the city of Abington to protect the city of Abington. There are certain powers granted to ALL law enforcement by the State of PA...but writing tickets for tinted windows in NOT one of them.

Therefore, an Abington cop has no right to ticket you outside of Abington city limits, regardless. If you were speeding thru Abington and he chased you all the way to Philly cause you wouldn't stop, even that is iffy. But if he turned his overheads on outside of Abington, your ticket is null and void.

Bottom line is Abington cop has no jurisdiction in Philadelphia. For anything. Except a murder maybe. City cops don't even chance bank robbers across city lines, they call and hand off. Yes they stay with, but they have to call the other. And no cops cross state line....for nothing. In order for NJ cops to pursue a rapist into PA, they MUST call PA Trooper to pickup the case. In order for Miami cops to fly to Dallas to get a fugutive, they have to get extradition and pickup criminals as "visitors". So back to the deal.

I have been speeding with cops from out of city tailgating me at 75mph...just waiting for me to cross city lines. Nothing they can do. I have raced cop cars up the onramp clearly speeding but they were out of city and they NEVER pull me over. On a traffic, they don't even pull me over and call the appropriate city. On the state line here in Kansas, Missouri cops NEVER cross the line...regardless. In fact on the freeway at the State Line, there is a turn-around, just for them.

Fight it. You should win this one....on a technicality of course.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do you see out of your car at night?!? especially backing up. Ya, sorry I agree you are asking for it. 5% is crazy.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:32 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by kensteele
Therefore, an Abington cop has no right to ticket you outside of Abington city limits, regardless. If you were speeding thru Abington and he chased you all the way to Philly cause you wouldn't stop, even that is iffy. But if he turned his overheads on outside of Abington, your ticket is null and void.

Bottom line is Abington cop has no jurisdiction in Philadelphia. For anything. Except a murder maybe. City cops don't even chance bank robbers across city lines, they call and hand off. Yes they stay with, but they have to call the other. And no cops cross state line....for nothing. In order for NJ cops to pursue a rapist into PA, they MUST call PA Trooper to pickup the case. In order for Miami cops to fly to Dallas to get a fugutive, they have to get extradition and pickup criminals as "visitors". So back to the deal.

d
He saw me in abington. I drove about a mile and a half before he pulled up behind me. If he turned his overheads on i sure as hell didn't see them until he got right up on me. i was in philly for a mile and a half, and we crossed a few intersections with traffic lights (one of which i was stopped at for a few seconds) I think if he was trying he could have got to me sooner
Old 01-29-2003, 12:37 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Shawn S
Like others have said, 5% is WAY too dark in PA.
You’re going to get pulled over again and again.
You said yourself its tough to drive in the dark. Isn’t that telling you something?
In Florida or Texas you may get away with it, but in PA forget it.
You’re probably going to get more tickets before August rolls around.

Shawn S
I didn't mean tough, its a pain in the ass sometimes when im backin up (i usually roll the window down). And sometimes when im drivin its a pain to see the lines on your side mirrors. I deal with it though, i like my tint dark.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:48 AM
I hate the Mets

He saw me in abington. I drove about a mile and a half before he pulled up behind me. If he turned his overheads on i sure as hell didn't see them until he got right up on me. i was in philly for a mile and a half, and we crossed a few intersections with traffic lights (one of which i was stopped at for a few seconds) I think if he was trying he could have got to me sooner
I just asked my next door neighbor about this (he is a cop) he said he has followed people a short distance into other townships a few times...NEVER a mile and a half though....

He said it may be worth fighting it based on the technicallity ( depends on the judges mood basically)....but hey, why not?

so I stand somewhat corrected.
Old 01-29-2003, 01:09 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by CO-CL-S
What do you expect? Maybe you can sue the company that put the tint on your windows??
Tint companies that put on illegal tint normally DO NOT give you a receipt of such illegal tint being put on... in other works you're on your own...:P
Old 01-29-2003, 04:45 AM
Drifting

before you go to court to fight this ticket based on the technicality of the cop stopping you in his improper juristiction, check the ticket for the location noted as the point of the stop. he might have put down a location back up the road to a point right inside his juristiction, making that argument impossible.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:03 AM
What can I get ya?

Originally posted by SilverJ
ya 5% is really dark. Im going with 35% once I find a good shop. I am assuming no one will bother me with that.

Where are you from? I know of a good one around me
Old 01-29-2003, 09:20 AM
Racer

I don't normally get involved in these kinds of posts but what I really don't understand is why--when you knew the tint was illegal--did you go ahead with it in the first place? Why not just get a neon sign put on top that says "bust me!"?

I guess I just don't understand the lack of common sense.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:35 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by DRM600
before you go to court to fight this ticket based on the technicality of the cop stopping you in his improper juristiction, check the ticket for the location noted as the point of the stop. he might have put down a location back up the road to a point right inside his juristiction, making that argument impossible.
I did notice that on the ticket he wrote down Church Rd. and Township line rd. which is where i first saw the cop (in abington). Nothin on the ticket says anything about pulling me over in philly
Old 01-29-2003, 09:38 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by sundance_gold
I don't normally get involved in these kinds of posts but what I really don't understand is why--when you knew the tint was illegal--did you go ahead with it in the first place? Why not just get a neon sign put on top that says "bust me!"?

I guess I just don't understand the lack of common sense.
I like dark tint. Personally i don't see a point in 35% tint but thats just my opinion. Different people like different things. I like the look on the car and i like the fact that no one can see inside. This is just my opinion and its how i like it.

As far as putting the neon sign on my car, i thought about it but it seemed a little to ricey and the HP gains were minimal :P
Old 01-29-2003, 09:40 AM
Drifting

If you fuck up on the police's turf, they can pull you over out of jurisdiction. Don't fight that its not going to work.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:59 AM
Drifting

Im not sure what im gonna do. I might just say fawk it and pay it. Unless someone wants to let me borrow a CLS with no tint, ill take it to court and tell him i took off the tint. He said if i took it off and showed him at court he'd throw the ticket out.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:08 AM
Drifting

how bout buy two new windows..swap em..go to court...pay nothing..swap them back...
Old 01-29-2003, 10:11 AM
Team Owner

I like dark tint. Personally i don't see a point in 35% tint but thats just my opinion.
I’m all for tint and I know how nice it looks, but I’m on the cops side when it comes to 20% and darker.
I’ve had 20% on some of my cars in the past and it’s a real bitch to drive at night.

I had an 88 Daytona Shelby-Z with 20% tinted sides/back and Louvers on the rear windows.
Imagine how much fun THAT car was when backing up at night.
Ever here of “parking by ear” ?

Here’s a scenario for you:
It’s late in the day and raining and you’re pulling out from a side street.
Some Yahoo in a black car is approaching and you don’t see him through your closed (it’s raining remember) 5% window.
He doesn’t have his lights on because it’s not completely dark yet.
You pull out right in front of him and CRASH, right into your driver’s door.
NOT GOOD !!!

I know this is unlikely, but CAN happen.
And of course they’ll blame the accident on the tint and come down hard again on people with ANY tint on the sides.

Shawn S

Quick Reply: Yet another ticket for tint