Are XS Headers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 01:35 PM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
While I do hate XS Power/SS Autochrome and think their product is garbage
Why are they garbadge? How much of a difference is there really compared to the comptech...? Or do you just knock on them and think they're "garbadge" (just like I've noticed that you do on every other item that you don't sell) becasue you don't sell them?
Old 04-20-2007, 01:36 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL. Sorry. I'm out of my mind. Bear with me. I'm working too much.
No problem, didn't want you to take it negatively I know whats its like when work gets crazy
Old 04-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Midnight Star CL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slow scoob
i ut xs headers on my 3.0, slight hiss until i tightened them down again, other than that, no problems, sounds good, but its still on stock cat back.
overall for 140 w/ shipping and about 3 hours of install time, a few cuts and bruises, id say they were worth it
did you tighten beyond the reccomended specs? and did the hissing go away completely?
thanks!
Old 04-20-2007, 02:00 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CLSixspeed
well the IMRC seems to be working.. it moved when i hit 3800+.. sooo i dont know which direction to go now...

How dirty is your air filter????? If it is really dirty I guess it could affect the sound when it gets to 4800 when the second cam lobe kicks in (VTEC) especially if its not getting enough air.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
see, i'm still unsure what to think about these headers (b/c some people have problems and some don't). but if they were up to par quality wise, wouldn't they charge more than $110? We're talking about V6 headers here
Old 04-20-2007, 02:36 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SG81
see, i'm still unsure what to think about these headers (b/c some people have problems and some don't). but if they were up to par quality wise, wouldn't they charge more than $110? We're talking about V6 headers here
Well I think the main problem here is that most people are expecting too much from a set of $150 headers. I mean seriously look at what your getting for $150. That is such an awesome price to gain 30hp .

I don't doubt that there might be some issues with these headers but I still plan to place my order cause I feel there the best option for the 6spd.

I also feel the reason they can charge such a little amount is they had little to no R&D on these. There basically a comptech copy. There are not a well known brand, and by keeping their prices low they can move more units
Old 04-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Instructor

I checked out that site that was posted earlier, and the headers are going for around 300 dollars. and there based in North Carolina. So not sure why it wouldnt be in US dollars. but i need to get these for the 150$ shipped everyones talking about... anyone know how?
Old 04-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
read the other thread... ebay banned their account or suspended it... thus you can't get $150 as of right now... this just happened recently, so just wait it out.

and for $150, these aren't no comptechs, but they're pretty damn good quality. i think these are better than other non-comptech alternatives such as DC, megan, etc.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:21 PM
Instructor

aight. in the meantime if anyone finds out how to get these for that price PM asap. thanks guys!
Old 04-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Um... just email them and ask if they will honor the price!
Old 04-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Midnight Star CL-S

just email them... ask them to match the ebay price...i did it.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the info guys, e-mail sent ..... I love Acurazine!!!
Old 04-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by nbennettksu
Why are they garbadge? How much of a difference is there really compared to the comptech...? Or do you just knock on them and think they're "garbadge" (just like I've noticed that you do on every other item that you don't sell) becasue you don't sell them?
The word is garbage, not garbadge. The difference between Comptech and XS is huge. Comptech was the designer of this header and the first to release. They used a thicker SS, CNC machined flanges, had CARB certification, better hardware, 3 yr warranty, customer service, and no resonance.

What other items have I knocked b/c I don't sell them? It's called experience. I have experience with their product and I think that it is garbage. And so do many other ppl. In terms of this specific header it seems to fitting better than most cheap copies of Comptech but it has its issues:

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/anyone-have-promo-code-cbs-fantasy-football-152349/ - Collector weld cracked and he had an improperly milled flange

How about the threads we read here everyday on the resonance (which I think should be tolerated if you're going to spend only $150 on headers)?

They require some force to fit. Read below from CLSixspeed. I also installed 2 of these and they had poor fitment. They fit but had resonance issues and improperly milled flanges.

Oh and check this thread out: https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/there-soooo-much-stuff-here-nws-108925/

Read how SSAutochrome/XS Power screwed him. And if you really have a lot of time go www.honda-tech.com and search ebay turbo kit, xs power, ss autochrome and you will find all the horror stories on their products.

XS Power will never give you a warranty and will never provide you with customer service. They will also very rarely ever invent anything for themselves. They can only copy other companies' products, which destroys the future market for product development b/c everytime you buy their header you take away $ from another company who actually is innovative and designs products.

That being said, out of all the cheaper headers they do fit the best thus far but I personally would not buy them.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:01 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,134 Likes on 1,094 Posts
I never really thought about the effect on Comptech when we all buy the XS headers. Interesting. I'm sure there's a lot of money that goes into R&D but couldn't they have patented the design so XS couldn't copy them the way they have? Also I think Comptech set their pricing way too high, especially now since the CL-S is a few years old and a younger age group is able to buy them pre-owned and may not have a $1000 to drop on headers. They're priced where I would expect Porsche or Vette headers to be, not a CL. Too bad there's not anything in between the two that would offer unique design, quality construction/hardware and at least a one year warranty. DC is a disappointment considering the quality headers they produce for 4 cylinder Honda/Acuras.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
I never really thought about the effect on Comptech when we all buy the XS headers. Interesting. I'm sure there's a lot of money that goes into R&D but couldn't they have patented the design so XS couldn't copy them the way they have? Also I think Comptech set their pricing way too high, especially now since the CL-S is a few years old and a younger age group is able to buy them pre-owned and may not have a $1000 to drop on headers. They're priced where I would expect Porsche or Vette headers to be, not a CL. Too bad there's not anything in between the two that would offer unique design, quality construction/hardware and at least a one year warranty. DC is a disappointment considering the quality headers they produce for 4 cylinder Honda/Acuras.
Comptech is expensive. And I think they could have lowered the prices after a couple years but CARB approval is very expensive too. DC Sports initial design was disappointing b/c it was a 2 bolt design and the flanges leaked, but they released a new 3 bolt design. I actually have a set here and I'm going to take a pic of the new design b/c I think this second design will solve the issue and they actually made their own design and do R&D. I will make a separate thread on it. Again the few guys that jumped on XS headers a while ago haven't really had too many issues but as with all the cheap headers, after a few batches, the product quality starts to decline.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:12 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with mine, but of course I didn't do all my research first and used their crappy hardware, so I have annoying rattles because of it, but again, I was ready for that kind of thing since they were only $150. Definitely looking forward to pictures of the DCs.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
Comptech is expensive. And I think they could have lowered the prices after a couple years but CARB approval is very expensive too. DC Sports initial design was disappointing b/c it was a 2 bolt design and the flanges leaked, but they released a new 3 bolt design. I actually have a set here and I'm going to take a pic of the new design b/c I think this second design will solve the issue and they actually made their own design and do R&D. I will make a separate thread on it. Again the few guys that jumped on XS headers a while ago haven't really had too many issues but as with all the cheap headers, after a few batches, the product quality starts to decline.
i guess im one that has these headers for a while without issues. I have a question for you excelerate, with your experience, why do you think companies that make cheap headers have declining quality after a few batches? You think they try to make the best parts they can in the beginning just to get the name out?

And arent the new 3 bold design by DC Sports only for automatics? I would think a company like that would have the smarts to make the bend in the header for the manual transmissions, because those headers fit automatics too. Not visa versa. Unless changing the piping would cost them an amount of money not worth it for the small 6 speed market.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Instructor

XSP Honda Accord 1998 99 00 01 2002 V6 Header
- he said he would honor the e-bay price... is this going to fit my 03 CLs 6 spd?? if not not does anyone know the specs or anything for the headers?
Old 04-20-2007, 05:34 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Yeah they'll fit.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Team Owner

Because all of Comptech's products designed for the street are CARB approved they are priced accordingly. I've been told that the CARB approval test costs $10,000 per product. That's not chump change and it would take quite some time to make up for that cost. That figure doesn't include the R&D costs associated with being sure the product will pass the CARB approval test before the actual test is conducted.

I have no idea what the profit margin is on their products and I only have a rough idea what their dealer cost is on some products; mainly the supercharger for the CL/TL/Accord. Based on Excelerate's pricing on this forum he is not turning a huge profit on those kits. I'm actually surprised he sold them at such a low price.

Comptech had no problem with sales. Their products were top notch with few exceptions and their customer service was unmatched by other suppliers of aftermarket parts for these cars. No one claimed modifying these cars was cheap.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Team Owner

Also I think Comptech set their pricing way too high, especially now since the CL-S is a few years old and a younger age group is able to buy them pre-owned and may not have a $1000 to drop on headers. They're priced where I would expect Porsche or Vette headers to be, not a CL.
Comptech was still making sales and turning a profit. No need to drop their prices. If a younger owner can't afford the cost of the product then that's not really Comptech's problem. If nobody could afford the product then there's an issue.

And stainless steel headers for Porsche's which are similar in quality to Comptech's start around $1,400 and work their way up to $2,000. Full exhaust systems can reach over $5,000
Old 04-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MSW 6SP
i guess im one that has these headers for a while without issues. I have a question for you excelerate, with your experience, why do you think companies that make cheap headers have declining quality after a few batches? You think they try to make the best parts they can in the beginning just to get the name out?

And arent the new 3 bold design by DC Sports only for automatics? I would think a company like that would have the smarts to make the bend in the header for the manual transmissions, because those headers fit automatics too. Not visa versa. Unless changing the piping would cost them an amount of money not worth it for the small 6 speed market.
Sometimes they change factories to try and get the product manufactured more inexpensively. I mean for the guy to sell these so inexpensively he must be buying them for about $50 and then paying for freight across the Pacific. Chinese labor is cheap and they just are given a product and told to duplicate it. Sometimes they get it right; sometimes not. However, there are as of yet no copyright laws in China so we will see what happens.

DC should have made it for a 6 spd considering it would have fit all models but I don't know why they didn't.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:11 PM
In the Mid-South meow

So then why are they closing their doors if they had such great sales/customer service?
Old 04-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Because all of Comptech's products designed for the street are CARB approved they are priced accordingly. I've been told that the CARB approval test costs $10,000 per product. That's not chump change and it would take quite some time to make up for that cost. That figure doesn't include the R&D costs associated with being sure the product will pass the CARB approval test before the actual test is conducted.

I have no idea what the profit margin is on their products and I only have a rough idea what their dealer cost is on some products; mainly the supercharger for the CL/TL/Accord. Based on Excelerate's pricing on this forum he is not turning a huge profit on those kits. I'm actually surprised he sold them at such a low price.

Comptech had no problem with sales. Their products were top notch with few exceptions and their customer service was unmatched by other suppliers of aftermarket parts for these cars. No one claimed modifying these cars was cheap.
Yea I've heard CARB approval can cost tens of thousands of dollars. And you're right I wasn't turning a large profit but I tried to do a lot of volume with them to get steeper discounts to get better pricing but in the end they cut dealer discounts even further and I think that kind of killed them too. You need a dealer structure with discounts based on volume and they cut that out in the end.

Comptech was the cream of the crop, in terms of their product quality and warranty and customer service on the retail end.

You're right Steve. They will still turning a profit so they didn't have to lower pricing. Ppl who wanted Comptech paid for Comptech; ppl who didn't didn't.

And as you said, there's a lot more $ to be spent on Audi/Porsche etc. I've sold Milltek DP's and a catback exhaust for an Audi S4 V8 and the price was over $3k so it could have been worse.

I'm out. I have to go work on my Accord. Later.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Team Owner

So then why are they closing their doors if they had such great sales/customer service?
It's not my prerogative to go publicly posting information I've been asked to keep to myself.

I can assure you it has nothing to do with sales or customer service.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:00 PM
In the Mid-South meow

It's not my prerogative to go publicly posting information I've been asked to keep to myself.

I can assure you it has nothing to do with sales or customer service.
Oh, no worries, I was just wondering if it wasn't their price point then what was it. I'm sure there's a lot more than just pricing that goes into why a company closes its doors. Thanks to you and Excelerate for all your insight though.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:37 PM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
What other items have I knocked b/c I don't sell them? It's called experience. I have experience with their product and I think that it is garbage. And so do many other ppl. In terms of this specific header it seems to fitting better than most cheap copies of Comptech but it has its issues

They require some force to fit. Read below from CLSixspeed. I also installed 2 of these and they had poor fitment. They fit but had resonance issues and improperly milled flanges.
You knock on the bomz pulley in every thread its mentioned... I had to apply absolutely NO extra force to install mine, just what was expected... I'd rather take the no warranty and just pay the $110 plus $45 for shipping compared to a grand with a warranty... but thats just me...
Old 04-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
If it helps... I have a friend who is a power seller on Ebay. He sells everything from jewelry to Windows software to iPods at ridiculously low prices. There is an amazing amount of politics and scammery (I just made it up) involved in becoming a Power Seller, but I won't get into that. His sources are from India, China, Indonesia, etc and he gets SUPER low prices on the stuff he buys. He is very secretive about how he gets his stuff and from who, but I can tell you that it's almost criminal what he pays for things. On average he can buy $1000 worth of stuff and cash out $4000 at the end of the week, not a bad job if you ask me!

I would say that XS Headers are no exception to this international knockoff market. Considering that these fit all Honda V6 engines, I guess XS Power's business model is based on volume and not profit. Its pretty much a win-win situation for everyone who doesn't mind a few quirks with a product that gets similar gains and costs 15% of what the Comptechs do.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Team Owner

They don't fit all Honda V6 Engines. Only 1998-2002 V6 Accords/2001-2003 CL's and TL's.

Almost all parts that fit one of the three aforementioned cars fit one if not both of the others.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Team Owner

Oh, no worries, I was just wondering if it wasn't their price point then what was it. I'm sure there's a lot more than just pricing that goes into why a company closes its doors. Thanks to you and Excelerate for all your insight though.

I'm not expecting a complete/permanent shut down. Too much value in the company to just close the doors and throw away the keys.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nbennettksu
You knock on the bomz pulley in every thread its mentioned... I had to apply absolutely NO extra force to install mine, just what was expected... I'd rather take the no warranty and just pay the $110 plus $45 for shipping compared to a grand with a warranty... but thats just me...
You made one thread and I gave my info on it. And there were more than just myself commenting on the chance taken with a pulley that may not be balanced correctly.

To each his own. Enjoy your bomz pulley. I personally wouldn't take the chance for $100 but that's just me.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm not expecting a complete/permanent shut down. Too much value in the company to just close the doors and throw away the keys.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
lol... they are still selling their products.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
They don't fit all Honda V6 Engines. Only 1998-2002 V6 Accords/2001-2003 CL's and TL's.

Almost all parts that fit one of the three aforementioned cars fit one if not both of the others.
My bad, I was just speaking generally.