to Xephyr

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 07:57 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to Xephyr

Can you make CAIs without anything being cut? I'm really not a fan of the bypass valve, and really want a one piece design. Is this possible?

Spiro
Old 03-01-2001, 09:04 PM
Banned

Spiroh,

I can make the CAI in a one piece design, however did not in production because of the demand for the bypass valve. If you look at the original design specs/pics it is a one peice design. I do not intend to produce Xephyr Performance CAI's in a one piece design for a few different reasons. The primary being becuase by utilizing the Bypass valve I relieve Xephyr Performance, LLC of much indemnity in the event of Hydro-Lock. It is a relatively small difference in overall price with the Bypass valve and I can maintain a lower cost overall when I purchase the valves in bulk. The valve does not impede performance any quantifiable amount, contrary to what some people may think. When dealing with a 10 HP gain a fraction of +/- .25 HP is not negligible. However, broken connecting rods are a negligible performance factor I apologize, but I do not intend to market the one piece design w/o valve.

Chris Koncur
Xephyr Performance, LLC.

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black CLS Type S - Xephyr Performance Cold Air Intake, PIAA 19173(Yellow) Road Lamp Upgrades, Full Wood Trim, Spoiler, Best GTECH Sprint 6.05 Xephyr Performance Intakes
Old 03-02-2001, 12:18 AM
Instructor

Xephyr

Can you make the intake tube shorter or place the filter in a different location to reduce the risk of Hydro-lock? In all the pics of the CAI's you can't even see the filter so it must be pretty low in the engine compartment. Can't it be moved up slightly and not really affect the cold air intake effect?

Please let us know when you get the CA Carb E.O. #. Thanks

------------------
2001 CL-P Emerald/Parchment
Old 03-02-2001, 01:13 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mattldm:
Xephyr

Can you make the intake tube shorter or place the filter in a different location to reduce the risk of Hydro-lock? In all the pics of the CAI's you can't even see the filter so it must be pretty low in the engine compartment. Can't it be moved up slightly and not really affect the cold air intake effect?

Please let us know when you get the CA Carb E.O. #. Thanks

</font>
that would be a Short Ram intake
Old 03-02-2001, 02:15 AM
Banned

Thanks CLPOWER lol

Yes if it were shorter it would be a Short-Ram setup. The filter is located in the most optimal location to draw the coldest air without having to introduce additional bends that would reduce the intake velocity.

Chris
Xephyr Performance, LLC.

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black CLS Type S - Xephyr Performance Cold Air Intake, PIAA 19173(Yellow) Road Lamp Upgrades, Full Wood Trim, Spoiler, Best GTECH Sprint 6.05 Xephyr Performance Intakes
Old 03-02-2001, 02:51 AM
Drifting

LLC= Limited Liability Company.

You have nothing to worry about. =)

spiro
Old 03-02-2001, 03:13 AM
Banned

LOL yes but that does not give me a license to practice a business of imprudence

Chris

------------------
Old 03-02-2001, 11:28 AM
foolio at heart

I think that cut is one of the things that set the xephyr apart from the crowd. The cut is fully functional. It allows you to change the cai to a short ram if you choose. I think its a nice feature to have. That plus the fact that he includes the bypass valve. Makes his kit a great deal.
Old 03-02-2001, 12:18 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by blxmjx:
I think that cut is one of the things that set the xephyr apart from the crowd. The cut is fully functional. It allows you to change the cai to a short ram if you choose. I think its a nice feature to have. That plus the fact that he includes the bypass valve. Makes his kit a great deal. </font>
I agree. Well worth it!

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Non-Navi[*] spoiler , wheel locks , 35% tint[*] fenderwell trim , mud guards[*] winter floor mats , full nose mask[*] Xephyr CAI

girlfriend
1999 3.8L V6 Mustang Coupe Black / Black Cloth Interior[*] spoiler , 35% tint[*] MAC CAI - soon to order
Old 03-02-2001, 02:42 PM
Drifting

Xephyr's CAI is nice, but unfortunately I want full performance. If I was worried about water, I would definately go for his kit.

spiro
Old 03-02-2001, 02:45 PM
Advanced

Xephyr,
Have you taken photos of the new powder-coated finishes yet? If so when do you think they'll be posted?

How about the dyno results?

Anxious to buy soon...

Thanks,
B-TS

------------------
Bullet-TypeS
'01 Acura CL Type S
San Marino Red/Spoiler/ Mud guards/Fenderwell trim/Wheel locks/Front-end cover/ PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow bulbs/CAI (coming soon)...
Old 03-02-2001, 04:21 PM
Banned

Spiroh:

The performance loss is hardy measurable with the bypass valve installed. However, I wouldnt expect you to take my word for it but..... When your dealing with a Maximum HP gain of ~10HP the difference with or without the bypass valve hardly equates to any significant or even quantifiable amount. Id suggest you contact AEM as to the specs with and without the valve just as another source for numbers. I will run both configurations under the Dyno this weekend but dont really expect to see even a 1HP difference. But to each their own, but IMHO 1HP is not even an issue, it can not be felt, and it will not effect 0-60 or 1/4 mi times by any more then 0.001 seconds.

Chris
Xephyr Performance, LLC.

------------------