View Poll Results: Will You Ever Buy Another Acura?
Yes
77.46%
No
22.54%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Would you ever buy another Acura again?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 03:28 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Would you ever buy another Acura again?

If no, why? Specifcs please.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:35 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got my '03 CL-S to replace my 12 year old Integra. No real major problems with the Integra.

My buddy had a similar aged Legend that he just replaced as well. No major problems.

My wife wants to trade in her Saturn for an MDX. Maybe next year.

I've had good experience with Honda/Acura products.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:39 PM
Red X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no. this is my first and last acura. i want better service and support. not to mention better quality, and performance.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:42 PM
Subie Dubie

Absolutely i would. This is the best and most fun car i've ever owned.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Possibly an NSX or the new RL if all of the rumors about the re-design are true. Otherwise.. I'd probably buy an M3 or so, then maybe an RSX for snow/rain.

BTW, I voted yes b/c of the reasons above....
Old 04-30-2002, 03:43 PM
Mugen Racing Team

Sure, 80% of my friends drives Acura/Honda cars. TypeRs' is what i had in mind if i was getting another, GsR/SiR are not bad either. The NSX would be nice too
Old 04-30-2002, 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

you should add "probably". I voted for yes, but you never know, maybe you can afford a ferrari later
Old 04-30-2002, 03:53 PM
Pro

No, i owned a first generation cl and they stayed with the same body style for like 5 years i bought a 02 cl type s in dec of 01 and the new changes came out in march of 03 in just their 3rd production year of the 2nd gens ??? ridiculous it shows no customer support if they would have dropped a six speed into the exact same car i wouldnt have had beef but they made minor changes and i see that as wrong (rim changes is understandable but different trim and moldings??? im not with that) plus im keeping my eye on the euros and the new e class is looking better and better to me everyday but then again the price difference is incredible... all in all i love my cl-s im keeping it till dec of 04 then ill be trading or selling and i will say bye bye to acura
Old 04-30-2002, 03:54 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

I went from driving a Japanese made 1995 Integra (J in the first letter of the VIN) to the US made 2002 CL-S. I thought by staying with Acura I would get the same quality to detail, craftsmanship, etc as I did get from my Integra. Unfortunately, most of the items above did not surpass my expectations.

My family has purchsed Acuras/Hondas since 1989. (Accord, Legend, Integra, another Accord, MDX, CL-S) We've had no problems w/ the service where I used to live (Bellevue, WA). Now that I am in Pittsburgh I have definitely noticed a deviance in service quality. I am in the process of switching dealerships.

I voted "Yes" assuming 3-4 years from now Acura will listen to their customers, and fix problems before they get out to the public (ie: transmission). The next logical upgrade from my CL-S is an NSX We'll see...
Old 04-30-2002, 04:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Did anyone see the blurb on the Toyota SMG for less than $1K?

Granted it is slow as hell, but it shows that you can do a lot with a hydraulic pump, electric throttle, and a few actuators...

If Acura doesn't have a SMG "type" of transmission available by the time I want my "next" car, I will probably change to a car that offers one (OR, has an automatic with a BIG tranny cooler that was designed for a powerful V8 in their line up (think G35)...

I've had no problems with the car... and I'm also sick of seeing all of the CLS folks that have been "tortured by slushbox"

(Only Acura could make owing a marginal, under-designed, under-cooled, and unreliable slushbox synonymous with "…Gonna Get Medieval On Your Ass"...)
Old 04-30-2002, 04:18 PM
Mr. Lover-Lover

I enjoy my Acura very much...fast, comfortable, and has all the goodies...

BUT..my next car..unless Acura comes out with something really off the wall for the same "bang for the buck" as the current CL-S is...I am gonna have to go with a BMW or Audi....no doubt!
Old 04-30-2002, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I love my car... but my next car will be RWD for sure. So if acura makes a RWD car then im game.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:29 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Ya, sure. This is my second Acura, but my family's owned 5 since '92...

I guess my biggest beef with Acura is the lack of dealer/service consistency... Some have free loaners for regular service, some offer rental cars or drop-off service, some have none of the above.

I'm lucky that there are 5~6 dealers within driving distance, so I can shop around. Others don't have that option (eg NashuaNightHawk).

If Acura really wants to compete with other luxury nameplates, they need to develop a consistent dealership service/business model. (...a V8 RWD sedan wouldn't hurt either. :P )
Old 04-30-2002, 04:58 PM
DJF
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I've had very good luck with Honda products and dealers to this date, so my answer would be "Yes" but with a qualification. That being the order of items that lead me to buying a specific car. 1.) Body style. If Acura makes a car that stirs my emotion, I would consider it. The CL-S does that to me. There may be other cars that equal or better the performance, but if I don't like the style, I'll pass. 2.) Performance and reliability have to win my confidence. 3.) Rarity. As much as I like the 3-Series BMW, it has got to be the most common car in Los Angeles. I hate being like everyone else. 4.) Price. I have a budget I try to stay within. $30K +/_ for a car is about it. As much as I love the 330ci BMW, but $40K + with all the goodies is way too much.
Old 04-30-2002, 05:20 PM
Where is my super sauce?

An alternate to this poll's question would be: Why did you buy an Acura? For me, this may be easier to answer then to predict the future of automobiles.

The answer is that the CL-S had exactly what I was looking for: a sport luxury coupe that was less than $40K fully loaded.

I looked at the competition and found none that I liked.

The only German car I would buy would be Porsche. I don't want a BMW or Audi. I don't like them. Too ubiquitous. Too uninteresting. They surpass $40K if you want things like wheels or an engine.

I don't want the currently available Volvo or Saab. The Saab Viggen was intriguing, but alas, too expensive for what you get. The Jaguar had four doors. Nissen/Infinity - yuck. Lexus LS430 - too much $$. Toyota - been there, done that. Ford, GM, or Chrysler? You got to be kidding.

Would I buy an Acura if I wanted to spend more than $50K or $60K on my car? Maybe not. The market opens up with performance cars and more luxurious cars.

The CL-S fit my needs and wants for the price. I think they fit an appropriate niche in the automobile marketplace.
Old 04-30-2002, 05:48 PM
5th Gear

Value is relative to quality

At first, I was very please to purchase my first Acura.

After a year of ownership, however, I don't believe that I'll buy another. The level of service is average at best (I had a MUCH better experience with Toyota previously). More importantly, though, Acura doesn't meet basic quality control tests IMHO.

For example, the factory paint job on our cars has been discussed ad nauseum on this board (in the area surrounding the badge on the rear deck I have an unappealing kind of discoloration and there are multiple areas of overspray around the door trim).

The seatbelt recoil is another, basic quality control flaw of Acura/Honda. Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to fix, but they haven't done so yet.

Another is the rear deck rattle that so many of us have. Yet another is the wind rattle produced by the sunroof. Didn't they hear these things in tests?!?!?

There are other, little gripes I have, but the bottom line is it just isn't that great of a value when you consider all the quality control issues Acura has. I just hope my transmission doesn't go down!

Next time, I'd rather spend a few extra $$$ and feel better about the car when I'm in it.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:23 PM
Drifting

Would I ever again, Yes. Will my next car be an Acura? Probably not.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is my second Acura, to replace my Legend Coupe, so it's a done deal. My first car was a Honda Civic ('75). I've had a couple of other cars in between, but because I had the Civic for 6 years and the Legend for 13.5, that means I've been driving Hondas most of my life. I wasn't really intending to stick with Honda, but got the Legend after BWM treated me like a non-entity, and here I end up with a CL because it just made sense--fun, comfortable, reasonable price. It wouldn't have happened if they didn't put a 6-speed in it though.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:07 PM
D73
Curiosity Killed The CL-S

Yes, with qualifications...

My car has been good to me so far. No major issues mechanically or otherwise. My dealer has been decent to me. Nothing incredibly outstanding, but nothing negative too.

Would I buy an Acura again? Probably yes if they fit my needs/budget at that time. I got my CL because it fit my budget (30k) and contained all the goodies I could not otherwise have gotten (Nav, leather, 260HP etc). If I had another 10k, I might have gone with used M3 or Supra TT.

I'll have to re-answer the question when it is time for my next car purchase.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:30 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I like my CL......I might buy an MDX if I needed a Sport utility
Old 04-30-2002, 08:39 PM
Instructor

I voted 'No' but its not cause I'm unhappy with the car. I love the car it suits me better than any car I have ever owned. The reason I wouldn't is cause I want some variety - life is short and I want to experience a variety of different cars, never owned BMW, or Audi, etc.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:49 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
I would definately buy another Acura. I didn't even have any intention of buying one when I did. After going thru various cars (ownership) and price etc. i decided to try one. This car is the best car i have ever owned. Besides a few small gripes (which have all been resolved) The car is perfect. It gives me my sportiness and handling that i enjoy AND a huge trunk to boot!!! Perfect. I would defintaley get another one. This time with a six speed though!!!!
Old 04-30-2002, 09:00 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In a heartbeat!!!!
Old 04-30-2002, 09:01 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Would I buy another Acura...yes. But Honda really needs to stop being so conservative and go with AWD and maybe even a possible turboed car. Honda also lacks an inhouse tuner something they desperately need. There is a growing market for these types of cars...if Honda doesn't change they will be quickly left behind.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:04 PM
CAFFEINE SLAVE

I would buy Acura again. If my next car is a 4 door I will definately check out the TL's. But if not Acura.....maybe an Audi.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:06 PM
Instructor

would definitely consider it. If the 6spd had been out when I bought the CLS---would have been the perfect car for me. I really like the cls I have, for many of the reasons others have stated. It is an infrequently-seen car, the engine is superb, interior is defintely luxurious and it looks great. Could it have been more--I think so. It has been a disappointmeent that Acura hasnot done more to support this car---no body kit, for example. I think that the TL and particularly the TL-S are maybe the best sedans for the money that you can buy. A 6spd option would also be nice, but for the majority of sedan buyers, its no big deal. The RSX looks to me a great car--and I wouldnt rule out getting one with the stick. MDX looks like a standout SUV, although I have no interest in SUVs. So all in all, Acura makes attractive cars with superb engines that will probably last a LONG time. I would consider another one.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:18 PM
Slice and dice

Amongst my family, we've owned 6 Civics, 1 Integra, 1 TL, and 1 Accord. All of them, we've been quite happy with. Two of the Civics, (one's actually a 1980 CVCC Wagon) have survived well over 160,000 miles and the others are all doing quite well. Except one Civic got wrecked (me ) and one Civic eventually had steering problems requiring it's demise. The Integra and TL are doing fine. My Accord had it's radiator rot out a week after the warranty ended.

Compared to our domestic experience, which consisted of one Olds wagon which had two engine meltdowns in about 3 years of ownership, I'd say we're doing well.

I almost added a CL to this collection, but I'm breaking the mold and getting a Z.

Acura and Honda make great cars. They're not as underpowered as they used to be and their quality control is very good. For those with the assorted rattles, go drive your cousin's Ford and realize how lucky you are. Also, Honda is frequently a technological leader, think about the S2k's engine or VTEC or U-LEV...

I will definitely consider getting another Honda/Acura in the future.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:33 PM
Instructor

oh hell yeah

i love my cl this car with addition of mods and time is a very rewarding ride...i am suprised at all these fuck up stories....i drive this car hard as fuck and i have no probs...so i dont have a problem putting more money into it....i love fuckin up the mustangs in san diego....and hearing people who are gettin smoked by lack luster rides is crazy...i guess some people drive like pussies
Old 04-30-2002, 11:56 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
In a heartbeat! This is my second Acura (previous '93 Vigor) and the fifth Acura out of a total 9 Honda products in my immediate family.

I love my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2002, 07:43 AM
Racer

Yes!!!! Especially after reading the post on here today indicating that the car I was thinking about getting, a BMW, is a good man magnet!!! I will definately NOT get one of those anytime soon!!! hahaha
Old 05-01-2002, 08:16 AM
Masshole

I am currently on my 4th Acura. I've never, ever had a bad experience with any of my cars other than getting hit/broken into. For the money, you just can't do any better. I've had a 93 Integra RS, a 95 GS-R, a 98 GS-R, and my '01 CLS. Things you have to deal with are few....paint sucks across the board, rattles and squeaks with the CL (all of mine are taken care of though ) I would buy another Acura in a heartbeat provided they do something cool with the CL before I want another one. I don't think I would go with another CLS if the 6 speed is the only change. Plus...I have this lust to have a German car, so we'll see. If not an Acura, most likely a 330Ci or an S4.
Old 05-01-2002, 09:30 AM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

owning the integra was a great experience. the build quality of the TL falls short in comparison, but still a great car overall.

would I buy another? HELL YEAH. I'm trying to wheel & deal a 6mt CLS as you read this.... mwahah
Old 05-01-2002, 10:32 AM

FUCK NO!

Brakes and rotors replaced twice, and I'm on my second transmission.

acura's are no where near the quality and build of some of their main competitors, Lexus, MB, BMW, etc.

This will be my last honda.

My next car?

Still deciding. . . . . .
Old 05-01-2002, 10:42 AM
Casual Observer

I've had no problems with my Cl-S and it has been an absolute joy.
And, my brother is taking delivery on an MDX in about two weeks.

That being said, I'm not sure whether I'd buy another Acura in the future.

This may sound like a petty reason to avoid buying a car, but the low quality of the paint has been the biggest disappointment of owning my Acura.

After only six months the paint chips are just unbelieveable.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:07 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Im like alot of people in that Acura needs to build something awesome for me to get one. Myself, I have had no problems with anything so far but I like changing cars, I dont like getting the same thing over and over. If they do come out with a new badass coupe, Id at least look at it. But my heart is set on an M3 after college or a 2yr old 911. Both are in the 50's, but one of those two is more than likely my next ride. But I can promise that my kids first car will be a Acura because they are great to learn on and very safe.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:16 PM
Smack My B*tch Up

Sure will. I love Honda/Acura they had never (majorly) failed me.
Old 05-04-2002, 07:59 PM
Intermediate

no the seats are awful
Old 05-04-2002, 09:31 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by mhpellerin
no the seats are awful
Must be a joke.
Old 05-04-2002, 10:50 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Red Rider

Must be a joke.
remember this guy's post before? I'll try and find it.
Old 05-04-2002, 11:58 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

YES... still think it's the best all around car for the money

Quick Reply: Would you ever buy another Acura again?