Worst Cities to Drive in?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001 | 06:36 PM
Racer

Worst Cities to Drive in?

Guys I'm doing some research on the worst cities to drive in because of traffic, and since there is people from all over the place in this forum, I thought you guys might be able to help. So, what are the worst cities to drive in?
(might be a little off-topic)

------------------
01 white/ebony CL-S
No Mods yet
Getting V-AFC soon
Old 01-10-2001 | 06:38 PM
magnet

here miami is the worst traffic

------------------
2001 cl type s,custom voltage blue paint job, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims, greddy evo exhaust, cross drilled rotors, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation2, iceman cold air intake(custom)paxton fuel pressure regulator, slammed on nex suspension
Old 01-10-2001 | 06:39 PM
Racer

AHHHHHH I HATE MIAMI TRAFFIC!!!

Miami
Miami the palmetto X-way from Miller rd to I-75! Takes me 1 hour to go 8 miles!!!!!

Miami
Miami
Miami
Miami

------------------
Old 01-10-2001 | 06:39 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

New York City - where the sailboat racing rules apply - whoever is in the lead has right-of-way.

Las Vegas - just because it's Las Vegas!

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 01-10-2001 | 06:41 PM
Racer

Well, I can't say it's the worst because I'm sure it isn't but Philly ain't the best, that's for sure. However, Philadelphia was rated the second most expensive city to own a car behind Los Angeles.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red / Parchment
non-nav - wheel locks - splash guards
Old 01-10-2001 | 06:42 PM
Cruisin'

well i live in the SF bay area so pretty much anywhere around here sucks during rush hour. heck i was driving down to LA once at 3 in the morning and was stuck in traffic going from 580 to the 5 for a few hours!!!!

------------------
Its all fun and games til someone loses an eye. Then its just fun.
Old 01-10-2001 | 06:43 PM
Racer

san antonio doesn't have real bad traffic, but the roads themselves are HORRIBLE. bumby, cracked, broken, absolutley kill your suspension! and the intersection of 281 and 410 (two major highways) has stoplights!! if you're on 281 and want to get on 410 you have to exit and go through lights before getting on the other road. i guess thy never heard of RAMPS!!

------------------
Black/Parch '01 CL-S no-navi, Spoiler, Visor (currently removed for winter), 35% tint, locks, PIAA19170
Old 01-10-2001 | 06:43 PM
Drifting

I would have to say Austin, the streets and highways are all fuxored there.

Old 01-10-2001 | 06:48 PM
Banned

Dallas

always construction on major highways b/c they f*** them up the every time they build them and rebuild them and rebuild them, etc.

and so many people...takes me approx. 1hr30mins for a drive that when no traffic is out 10 mins. wtf?!?!?!

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver
- spoiler
- wheel locks
- mud guards
- fenderwell trim
- 35% tint
- winter floor mats
- full nose mask

"hockey + music + cars = life"
Old 01-10-2001 | 06:50 PM
10th Gear

LA
Old 01-10-2001 | 06:51 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by avengerjr:
Dallas

and so many people...takes me approx. 1hr30mins for a drive that when no traffic is out 10 mins. wtf?!?!?!

</font>
damn, dude! what is your route??

------------------
Black/Parch '01 CL-S no-navi, Spoiler, Visor (currently removed for winter), 35% tint, locks, PIAA19170
Old 01-10-2001 | 06:53 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by P-Man:
damn, dude! what is your route??

</font>
I hit 75 & 635 in both the morning and afternoon traffic hours....*sigh*

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver
- spoiler
- wheel locks
- mud guards
- fenderwell trim
- 35% tint
- winter floor mats
- full nose mask

"hockey + music + cars = life"
Old 01-10-2001 | 06:54 PM
Racer

WOW, you guys a really helping...thanks a lot!

------------------
01 white/ebony CL-S
No Mods yet
Getting V-AFC soon
Old 01-10-2001 | 07:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

There was a story on the news a few months ago here in Tucson because we had the distinction of having one of the biggest increases in traffic congestion in the last 10 years or so.

Measured in number of hours the avg driver spend stuck in traffic, the worst cities:
LA
NYC
Bay area
Chicago
Atlanta

City with the biggest increase:
Indianapolis - my hometown. Traffic congestion has increased 250% in the last 10 years. Makes sense because they've had their freeway system for decades and have done NOTHING to improve or expand it. Tucson was 7th at 115% more congestion and Phoenix was up there too due to the rapid growth of both cities.

[This message has been edited by GoldTypeS (edited 01-10-2001).]
Old 01-10-2001 | 07:07 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
There was a story on the news a few months ago here in Tucson because we had the distinction of having one of the biggest increases in traffic in the last 10 years or so.

The worst cities:
LA
NYC
Bay area
Chicago

City with the biggest increase:
Indianapolis - my hometown. Traffic congestion has increased 250% in the last 10 years. Makes sense because they've had their freeway system for decades and have done NOTHING to improve or expand it. Tucson was 7th at 115% more congestion.
</font>
THanks a lot. Would you happen to know where I could maybe get a copy of that report?

------------------
01 white/ebony CL-S
No Mods yet
Getting V-AFC soon
Old 01-10-2001 | 07:07 PM
ACME sucks!

Houston and Philly have to be the worst! I lived in both places and can't stand either. I currently live just south of DFW airport and don't mind commuting throughout the Metroplex on a daily basis.... I always remind myself that there are worse places to be in!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony

Wheel Locks/Tint/Splash Guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/Still trying to find a K&N filter!
Old 01-10-2001 | 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

You ain't seen nothing till you come to va's beltway. madd madd traffic. use to take me like 1 hour to go about 8 miles to work going through the belt way (495) also there doing the nationz largest highway construction gonna take 8 years to fix 395 and 495 merging area aka mixing bowl. i think dc traffic is second after cali. literally moving 5 mph every 3 min. on the high way

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech . may be more mod'z after when i get a job.
Old 01-10-2001 | 07:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLS16:
THanks a lot. Would you happen to know where I could maybe get a copy of that report?

</font>
Well, since it was several months ago, even if you called the station that did the story, I don't know if they could drudge it up or remember it. It was KOLD Ch 7 in Tucson. But you may want to try this website which is the US Dept of Transportation's Bureau of Statistics:
www.bts.gov
Old 01-10-2001 | 07:18 PM
Intermediate

Ok, now I live in LA and I don't think its too bad here. Then again, I don't have to drive the 405.

Some bad areas I've experienced:

Dallas on the 635. What up with those access roads? Why don't they get rid of them and widen the freeway by 3 more lanes on each side.

Boston anywhere near the big dig.

Denver. That whole city is under construction, and on I70 between downtown and the ski resorts on the weekend. Bumper to bumper the whole way back.

------------------
:: young type s driver ::
Old 01-10-2001 | 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Just try going north, south, east or west in San Diego during rush hour.
Los Angeles is worse. Traffic 24 hours a day on major fwys.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
Best 0-60. 6.08 Gtech Pro (Preheaders)

My Car
Old 01-10-2001 | 07:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

LA wins hands down. Think about these :

1. Crazy road-raged drivers +
2. SUVs +
3. Cell Phones +
4. Traffic +
5. HIGH SPEED CHASES!!

[This message has been edited by RandyMax (edited 01-10-2001).]
Old 01-10-2001 | 08:02 PM
Suzuka Master

you didnt mention it had to be in the U.S.

So I nominate:

Bangkok, Thailand

congestion is a way of life, smog is the air they breath, there's no such thing as the "right of way", there's no such thing as negotiating a turn (i.e. one at a time doesnt mean sh*t)

A close call is defined by centimeters

drawn divider lines on the streets are meaningless, can't sue sh*t in an accident,
Sadly, money makes this part of the world go round,
dont *ever* *ever* drink any water or ice except bottled..

So how do you get around this crummy society?
cheap A/C taxis...sadly sometimes even they get lost in the city.. poor street/transportation organization.

Did I mention kids regularly get up at 4-5am for school at 7-8? Thats cuz of da traffic

Only thing good is the FOOD! that is if its
sanitary

------------------
- Kvit -
2001 CL-P Blue Sub 6
Polarg BlHybrid M-6 Road lamps
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...725&a=10358832

[This message has been edited by KavexTrax (edited 01-10-2001).]
Old 01-10-2001 | 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Aw come on. Ask a tough question.
It's New York City!

First off if the psychotic squeegee people get you than they're liable to fock up your paint, wipers, glass, passenger or perhaps kill you. Next if you get caught in the box (any intersection in Manhattan against the light) its an instant ticket and if you already have unpaid tickets or other violations its buhbye car, and off to the pound where you'll never find it in the same condition.

Crime! I have a fem friend who was returning to her parked car and noticed the drivers side door open with some guy leaning out stealing her radio. Her rage got the best of her and so she starts grabbing at her radio while the guy stealing it is pulling back on it till he screams something about her being "one crazy bitch" by which he lets go of the radio, kicks in her window, and calmly walks off.

Driving in the city as already alluded to is actually great fun if everybody jockeying around is competent, and everybody realizes that using directionals within Manhattan is illegal, and nobody else is driving either a van or a yellow cab! Case in point: Major streets are all 5 or 6 lanes sometimes going miles in one direction. Slolom skills and acceleration are paramount. Also lights are timed so that if you catch them right you can fly for miles either uptown or downtown. But if you use your directionals or happen to get near a van its a sure fire recipe for side impacts. Happened to me in my Teg. I was crusing and staying in my lane when a van either because he didn't see me being so low or, maybe because he did see me simply careens into my drivers side, taking off my side mirror and thoroughly focking up my door and rear quarter along with my gas release door. I went after him as he disappeared into traffic. I caught up but they protested that he and his three occupants didn't even know what I was talking about. Hmm, being glad I didn't then have my 12 gauge 682 Beretta over/under in my hatch I drove off figuring at least I hadn't disappeared into one of those NYC car-eating potholes!

I still go into the city at least once a month. It's the best.

------------------
01 CL Type-S, White/Black/Navi/Comptech Springs+Sways/Burl Shifter/Guards
Old 01-10-2001 | 08:39 PM
Intermediate

OK, LA is pretty bad.

------------------
:: young type s driver ::
Old 01-10-2001 | 09:43 PM
Racer

Here's what the city's with major traffic should do. They need to build multi level highway systems with like 6 lanes per level. The top level will take you from point A to point K, then from K to point Z. The next level will take you from every third or forth point. where the next level will take you to every other point, and the bottom cluster fu*ked lane will take you to every point.

This is a system I have DREAMED of(and still do while sitting in traffic). I KNOW it will work. I bet citizens will be willing to pay MORE Taxes for a amazing system like this.

As of now, my town is expanding our major highway by only 1 lane. Which is STUPID. They need to expand the fu*ker like 3 lanes PER side. That way there will be more then enough for the future.

Anyone ever wish they could just lift up over traffic and JET over everyone else (like in Back to the Future pt 2) I DREAM of that too! At one point I wanted to add thrusting engines (like what U see on f-18's) to the bottom and rear of my car and be able to THRUST out of traffic!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Old 01-10-2001 | 09:54 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KavexTrax:
you didnt mention it had to be in the U.S.

So I nominate:

Bangkok, Thailand

congestion is a way of life, smog is the air they breath, there's no such thing as the "right of way", there's no such thing as negotiating a turn (i.e. one at a time doesnt mean sh*t)

A close call is defined by centimeters

drawn divider lines on the streets are meaningless, can't sue sh*t in an accident,
Sadly, money makes this part of the world go round,
dont *ever* *ever* drink any water or ice except bottled..

So how do you get around this crummy society?
cheap A/C taxis...sadly sometimes even they get lost in the city.. poor street/transportation organization.

Did I mention kids regularly get up at 4-5am for school at 7-8? Thats cuz of da traffic

Only thing good is the FOOD! that is if its
sanitary

</font>

Well I definitely meant the U.S. Have any of you guys been to Detroit, Phoenix, Cincinnati?...wonder how the traffic is there...

------------------
01 white/ebony CL-S
No Mods yet
Getting V-AFC soon
Old 01-10-2001 | 10:00 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jayru:
Here's what the city's with major traffic should do. They need to build multi level highway systems with like 6 lanes per level.</font>
People that live near highways I'm sure don't want to see a highway skyscraper. Where the hell would you put all the off ramps of a highway like that?!?!? Have you ever been to Philly? Have you seen what surrounds all the highways? Buildings, homes and such. There is no room to expand, not to mention add all the off ramps that would be needed. There really is no good solution.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red / Parchment
non-nav - wheel locks - splash guards

[This message has been edited by TakeFlight (edited 01-10-2001).]
Old 01-10-2001 | 10:02 PM
Instructor

Worst I've driven in? Without question or a doubt: BOSTON, MA. Traffic, Construction, BIG DIG!!!!!! Need I say more, oh, how 'bout getting into Logan Airport? I think Soopa might agree with me on this...

------------------
<A HREF="http://rrw.d2g.com" TARGET=_blank>The Red Rocket
</A>
Old 01-10-2001 | 10:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLS16:

Well I definitely meant the U.S. Have any of you guys been to Detroit, Phoenix, Cincinnati?...wonder how the traffic is there...
</font>
Detroit is about as bad as any other city with a population of 4 million.

Everyone in Phoenix complains about traffic but it really isn't very bad at all. Phoenix is extremely sparsely populated because it so spread out and that lessens traffic. The problem with Phoenix is that it is absolutely freakin' HUGE in terms of land area for a city of about 3 million. The metro area is now over 90 miles wide and 90 miles long. THAT IS NUTS!!! There are cities with twice as many people that aren't that big.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Old 01-10-2001 | 10:37 PM
Racer

1) Austin
2) Boston
3) Atlanta
4) LA

------------------
CL-S Sundance Gold, TR Typhoon Wheels, Solaris 9005, guards, nose mask, V-1 & remote.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...493&p=31386570
Old 01-11-2001 | 12:02 AM
Intermediate

Chicago (or any downtown)... oldest car goes first.

Some day for grins I'll get an old Checker Marathon and just drive like a taxi driver just to piss off all of those people that have cut me off...

------------------
'01 Naples Gold CL-P
Old 01-11-2001 | 12:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Atlanta...I hate when I have business there.

------------------
00' Laguna Green TL w/ Navi, Rear Spoiler & Tint. Soon to have Comptech Suspension, Sways, Exhaust and 17" or 18" Wheels & Tires.
Old 01-11-2001 | 12:13 AM
Suzuka Master

If were counting international cities I think Seoul, Korea would top out. 1# car accident rate in the world and 2nd in polution.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers soon now that I have a JOB again. hehe
Old 01-11-2001 | 12:19 AM
uu
Burning Brakes

NEW YORK CITY(worst road condition)!!!!

soho/village area, Mercer/Spring street, where the road are not paved, but covered with pebbles

2nd ave, pot holes everywhere... i think my roommate's car's shocks got trashed cuz of the pot holes.
Old 01-11-2001 | 12:50 AM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

1.Houston
2.Boston
3.NYC

This is an interesting question. But to me it makes a big difference how familiar one is with the city's streets, and what kind of commute you have everyday. People who commute long distances in unfamiliar cities have the worst traffic.

Los Angeles wouldn't make my top five worst, because I can take many alternate routes to avoid traffic for most destinations. I hate freeway traffic the most so I try not to participate.
Old 01-11-2001 | 12:54 AM
Instructor

San Jose!! I live less than 10 miles from work and sometimes it takes me about an hour to get home from work (on a good day)..when its raining, about 2 hours.
Old 01-11-2001 | 02:32 AM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jayru:
Here's what the city's with major traffic should do. They need to build multi level highway systems with like 6 lanes per level.</font>
San Francisco did precisely that; it was called the Nimitz Freeway (I-880).

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited 01-22-2001).]
Old 01-11-2001 | 04:33 AM
Pro

im from new york and lived in the dc metro area we kept our boat in mass so i can rember what that was like but i have to say s.c., n.c., and ga, b/c too many old people no one knows how to merge i watch people everday drive 35 down a 1/2 mile on ramp waite till it gets straight with the highway then accelerate to highway speed once they have moved into the slow lane, and these country bumpkins must still think they are using horse and carriages b/c they never use signals. and is there any thing worst than being in traffic doing 65, inches from the people around you and see the a woman with hands at 10 and 2 looking striaght ahead and knowing that she doesnt see you

------------------
2001 acura cl type-s
comming soon
2000 accord v6 sedan
1997 4runner
1992 camaro
1993 volvo 850
Old 01-11-2001 | 05:55 AM
Suzuka Master

My $0.02:

Los Angeles. Most of the Metro LA freeways are packed from 6:30AM to 9:30PM. Every year it gets worse. Someone posted the nice traffic map. Most of the time the yellow means Moo (your going 10 miles an hour -- I don't care what the Caltrans says). The red means it is a parking lot. It gets worse every day, and there building more and more in the Mid-Wilshire district, Hollywood, and the West Side. It is going to get much worse. (Don't know about the other cities -- haven't been in a while)

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 01-11-2001).]
Old 01-11-2001 | 10:44 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

To DTeW.... the key word there is "WAS"... didn't they turn it into a park?

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior

Quick Reply: Worst Cities to Drive in?