Window TINTING LAW DEBATE **UPDATE**

haha they feel the pressure now!

http://www.komotv.com/stories/26994.htm
==============================================

State Patrol Suspends Window-Tinting Enforcement

September 3, 2003

By Molly Shen

Video : KOMO 4 NEWS
After KOMO 4 News stories exposed the confusion over how much tint you can legally have, the patrol says it will call off the enforcement -- for now.

Watch Video

Video requires the use of the free QuickTime Player.

Tools
Email This Story
Printer-friendly Version

BELLEVUE - A ticket-writing campaign for tinted windows has been causing a lot of controversy. And now, after our stories exposed the confusion, the Washington State Patrol says it will call off the enforcement for now.

The controversy over just how dark your front windows can be. The State Patrol says one thing, and window tinters who've been in the business for years say another.

Until the State Patrol gets it cleared up, they won't write any more tickets.

"He asked me how dark my windows were, and I responded with 'They're as dark as the law allows,' and he said I was 31 percent over and he asked for my license," said Mary Tobin, who then received a $101 ticket from that trooper.

She came back to the place that did the tint, where Rudy Falsis insists, she is legal.

"So we're reading at 29 percent. In the RCW (state law), it says the very minimum is 24 percent. So we're well above that."

When Falsis says the law allows 24 percent, he means at least a quarter of the light must get through the window.

But the State Patrol has a drastically different interpretation. Troopers say you must let at least 65 percent of the light through.

"A lot of confusion on the dealer's parts, customer's parts, people who have had tint applied. there's a lot of concerns out there," said Jamie Knutson, a window tint salesman.

The Patrol stands by its interpretation, and says all the tickets troopers have written during the two-week enforcement should stick.

But they admit, the law is poorly written, and it needs to be clarified before they write any more tickets.

So here's what the state patrol is going to do: The Office of Equipment Standards and the Attorney General's Office will get together to examine, interpret, and clarify the law.

And KOMO 4 News has been told several state legislators have expressed concern after our stories aired. They might be able to even re-write the law.

As soon as the patrol has it all figured out, they'll be writing tickets again. And if you already got one, you still need to either pay it or take it to court.

By the way, the law in question only applies to front driver and passenger side windows. Thus, vans and SUVs, for example, can have darker windows in the back.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take it to court...

Just make sure you fellas make them officers feel a little bit more comfortable when they pull you over.. follow the below pointers.

If you got the tints and get pulled over:

#1 Get all your windows down all the way!!
#2 Turn on your interior lights if at night.
#3 Put both hands on the steering wheel.

The above might keep you out of a ticket.... I do all the above.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Beware of leakage

Originally posted by Smitty

If you got the tints and get pulled over:

#1 Get all your windows down all the way!!
#2 Turn on your interior lights if at night.
#3 Put both hands on the steering wheel.

The above might keep you out of a ticket.... I do all the above.
I also want to add, if during the day, slide moonroof to the all the way open position, to let in more light.
just my .02
Old 09-04-2003, 08:40 PM
Burning Brakes

unless ure like me 20% all around and 50 on the whole windshield, I'm always fucked... But when I'm banging a girl out in the whip I never have to worry about whos around