Window Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 02:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Window Regulator

My window regulator has gone bad again - the window is jerking on the way down... This had happened to me the 3rd time, the dealership had replaced 3 window regulators on the same window, each of them only lasts for like 1 year, but now I am out of warranty (1 week over). Do you think dealership will fix it for free, I was there with the same problem about 1 year ago. This is just unacceptable, 3 regulators on one window over 4 years, can you belive that?! I guess I will need a 4th one!
Old 11-14-2004, 05:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Is this a common problem? I feel like those window regulators are faulty, and even if you get a new one, in a year or so it will get loose and window movement will be screwed up.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:06 AM
Suzuka Master

What are my options if the dealership will refuse to fix it under warranty?
I should not have to pay for something that has been fixed 3 times already. It seems to last for only a year. Even if I pay my own money, what are the guarantees that it will not go bad in 1 year again? I am not blaming a dealer, I think those regulators are faulty and go bad in like 1 year.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:59 AM
Girls luv me Guys hate me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
What are my options if the dealership will refuse to fix it under warranty?
I should not have to pay for something that has been fixed 3 times already. It seems to last for only a year. Even if I pay my own money, what are the guarantees that it will not go bad in 1 year again? I am not blaming a dealer, I think those regulators are faulty and go bad in like 1 year.
Threaten to contact the local BBB (Better Business Bureau), the local news media and post their bad business practices on the net, if they wont cover it. But I dont see why they wouldnt.

Good luck on this, and keep us informed.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:56 AM
Pro

Replacement aparts are warrantied separtely for another 12/12 after installation; so if you had fixed it in the last year you would qualify under the replacement part warranty anyway. But, if you're just a week out of the new car warranty and had it replaced 3 times, I predict they will warranty it anyway if you have any relationship with the dealer at all.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by louisn
Replacement aparts are warrantied separtely for another 12/12 after installation; so if you had fixed it in the last year you would qualify under the replacement part warranty anyway. But, if you're just a week out of the new car warranty and had it replaced 3 times, I predict they will warranty it anyway if you have any relationship with the dealer at all.
Yeah, they did do it under warranty even though officially my warranty was out (even on a replacement part it was 1 month over).
They did fix a problem, but the solution seems too simple:
Lubricate run channel and adjust glass

They had done the same procedure in the past, and in then the problem came back 1 month later. So then they had to replace window regulator, which lasted on average for 1 year.
I am not too excited yet, I have a feeling it will come back in a month.
They told me they have never seen anyone having so many problems with the driver's side window. It make me wonder if my entire door frame is defective (maybe wrong size for a window slide or something). I am really getting fed up with all that, it consumes way to much time going to the delearship, asking for time off at work, its just a pain, especially when the same problem keeps re-occuring again and again.
I heard that Honda's in general happen to have problems with window regulators, but I did not know it was such a huge issue.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A thought or three

That seems like a lot of replacements for one car.

Given the circumstances, you should consider talking to the manager at the dealer -- be firm, but courteous. If you don't get anywhere, consider talking to Acura and explain to them that the window lift has been a constant problem and you feel that one or more underlying problems were NOT addressed during the warranty period and you may have a factory defect that puts undue strain and stress on the motor.

There is a "goodwill" option that dealers will take if the car is been regularly serviced *and* there has been a history of a given component failing -- and, the failure is not due to overuse, abuse, or user problems. IOW, if you had a kid that loved to play with the switches and the dealer noticed him "excercising" the windows at light-speed, you might have a problem.

At this point, you have nothing to lose by talking to the dealer and/or Acura.

If they simply replace the same parts that they have been replacing, there is a pretty good chance that you will be seeing them again. I would expect that they would certainly mention the one-time goodwill fix, and from that point forward you would be paying for the repairs. So, if there is some way that you can find another dealer or someone to measure the current draw on the motor going up and down, and also check with the factory, you might be able to see if there is something that is clearly causing the repeated repairs.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks Eric, like I said in my previous post, they did do it for free. But I really doubt that it is a permanent solution. They "adjusted a window" and lubricated the run channel. It did fix the problem, but the similar procedure was applied in the past, and it only lasted for 1 month untill the lubrication wear out.
This whole thing makes me angree, I am only getting temporary solutions.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:46 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Originally Posted by louisn

Just get the last invoice for repairs and demand a replacement. You are good for 12 months.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:00 PM
Instructor

write to the consumer affairs division of your state attorney general's office. you've had to have the same problem fixed repeatedly. but never correctly. this is either a design defect or an unresolved original problem. the dealer should still cover it at his or acura's expense. you'll need receipts from each repair to send w/ your letter. make it clear that the problem continues to return no matter how many attempts have been made to fix it. the attorney general's office should be able to assist.

good luck.