Wind Deflector

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 11:49 PM
Balla on a Budget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should i buy a Wind Deflector???????

Hey guys, i was wondering if it is worth the $$ to get a wind deflector for my sun roof. Whenever i have my moonroof open and i drive on the highway i nearly go deaf from the noise! So if any if you guys have this please tell me if i should order it or not! Thanks
Old 04-14-2002, 12:18 AM
Advanced

I think the wind deflector looks and functions well with the wind noise. The only problem is the fact that when you have the deflector on, you really only have about 6 or so inches of open air since our sunroofs dont open all the way.
Old 04-14-2002, 12:24 AM
Cruisin'

I am sure it cuts down on wind noise, but I am considering taking my sunroof deflector off as it cuts off about 25% of the sunroof area. As it is, the opening to our sunroof is narrow. I had mine included in the car price when I bought it but probably wouldn't pay extra for it.

2001 Red CLS
Old 04-14-2002, 01:03 AM
'Cooter

ok, there is a constant back-and-forth on this issue here...i have it and happen to like it...many others do not like it, and that's cool too...it's more of a preference thing...the good news is that if u don't like it, simply take it off...no biggie!! fact is yes, it does cut out wind noise, and yes, it does limit space to stick your arms out a lot...so as a result, it's up to u to decide what u can/can't live with unfortunately, this mod is one of those things where there r clear pro's and con's to doing it where there is no clear decision that sticks out...if u're cost conscious, perhaps it's not worth the $50 or so...again, it's your call
Old 04-14-2002, 01:25 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Scooter
ok, there is a constant back-and-forth on this issue here...i have it and happen to like it...many others do not like it, and that's cool too...it's more of a preference thing...the good news is that if u don't like it, simply take it off...no biggie!! fact is yes, it does cut out wind noise, and yes, it does limit space to stick your arms out a lot...so as a result, it's up to u to decide what u can/can't live with unfortunately, this mod is one of those things where there r clear pro's and con's to doing it where there is no clear decision that sticks out...if u're cost conscious, perhaps it's not worth the $50 or so...again, it's your call
Way to NOT answer the question!!!!!!
I agree 100% with Scooter!!!!!!!
Is it worth it???

Yes and No!!!!!
Old 04-14-2002, 01:40 AM
Drifting

I had a wind deflector on my car for a little more then a year. I took it off like 5 months ago and i am glad i did. You actually get to enjoy your sunroof. It left a bit of an indent all the way around. I guess cause it was on for so long. I know a few guys took it off early and had no problems. I wouldn't EVER put it back on
Old 04-14-2002, 05:30 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Had one on my CL for three years. Removed it recently.

My observations: Wind deflection- wind sound less (but not gone). Some people like the looks.

Bad things: My paint job is pretty well screwed up where the gasket for the deflector laid on the roof. Another thing I didn't like about the deflector was that in the AM, water/condesation sits on the roof. Without the deflector, you can start driving and "pop" the roof up to blow off the water. If the deflector is in place at 40 MPH I would pop the roof and the water that was behind the deflector would dump into the car. It also held water when I was waxing.

I think more than anything, The deflector is a look thing rather than practical. IMO. I wouldn't put it back on.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:07 AM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by woodek

Bad things: My paint job is pretty well screwed up where the gasket for the deflector laid on the roof. Another thing I didn't like about the deflector was that in the AM, water/condesation sits on the roof. Without the deflector, you can start driving and "pop" the roof up to blow off the water. If the deflector is in place at 40 MPH I would pop the roof and the water that was behind the deflector would dump into the car. It also held water when I was waxing.
That is a big pain in the ass!!! My car always pisses on me, plus leaves and stuff that have been sitting on the car blow in as soon as I open it.
Also you get a MAJOR increase in sound when you just try to pop up the rear part of the sunroof.
But I just like the look of it, so I leave mine on.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:10 AM
Balla on a Budget

Thanks everyone for their resoponces, i think i'll just wait and think about it.
Old 04-14-2002, 10:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have it, & spent the money after I got the car for it. I like the way it looks, & it does cut the wind noise. Having a small opening doesn't mean alot to me. In fact I rarely have the sun roof open. It's to hot most of the year in South FL, to keep it open. I use the AC 99% of the time. The 1 thing I don't like about it, is at really high speeds, 95+mph you get a wind noise from it, as air moves over it. Sounds like a whistle. It goes away after 110 though
Old 04-14-2002, 11:08 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Achance

That is a big pain in the ass!!! My car always pisses on me, plus leaves and stuff that have been sitting on the car blow in as soon as I open it.
Not only do leaves blow into the car, alot of them get stuck inside the deflector and are a pain in the ass to get out.

Well, I think I've beat the deflector issue enough now, I just wanted to justify NOT putting the deflector back on. (I wanted to cover up the spots where the first deflector F'd up my paintjob).