Why is my pickup so slow from 125 to 140 then cutting off???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:57 AM
Got DEP???

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Why is my pickup so slow from 125 to 140 then cutting off???

Ok, I was just killing time Friday and I took video with my cheap Nextel camera phone...

I want to know if anyone knows why my car is picking up speed so slow?
I know I only had it in D5 and didn't gate shift or anything, but when I had it in D4 before I hit the limiter a lot faster without red lining it.
I understand 5th is a higher ratio than 4th, but I wouldn't think it would be that much!?!
My car seems to be lacking power lately and I thought it might have just been in my head, but as you can see in this video, it took almost 10 seconds to get to 142mph (looks like 140 because of the angle of the phone) and then it just hangs there without going any faster... I was going up a slight (not enough to blame) incline, but that's bullshit!

Has anyone else noticed this about their cars? I'm not sure if it is just the winter gas, the fact that I need to do my 105k tune-up (been to lazy, I've had the plugs sitting on my seat for over a month now), or it just getting tired at only 106k!!!

Well, here's the shitty video that is really depressing me...

Old 01-08-2007, 01:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Dude, I have 116,xxx miles on my engine. And she's got plenty more to give.

The last gear is a long gear, so it's gonna take a while to get up to 140.

Take a look at my dyno thread, the estimated crank hp is 275 (about 25% drivetrain loss makes whp). You have 50 less than I do. If your talking about hp numbers, you are going to need a lot more hp to get up to 140 faster than you want to.

And I thought I drove fast...lol

I highly doubt something is wrong with your engine.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:29 AM
SOLD

I don't know what the exact equation is, but from what I recall from prior most hp at those speeds is used to overcome drag and wind resistance. SO for example if you have 260hp and 200hp is used just to BE at 120, don't expect 60hp or so to gain mph very quickly. Green is right, to go noticably quicker at those speeds I bet you would probably need 50+more hp. I have noticed in my CLS that if you bring the gate shifter down to D2 and go thru gear, it doesnt seem as quick as SS2. So maybe try D4 next time? Our 4th gear can obtain max speed BTW...CLS anyway.

- Most people probably laugh at this thread and think "Man he is crazy going that fast".
Old 01-08-2007, 06:16 AM
Don't Mess With Texas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NightRider
I don't know what the exact equation is, but from what I recall from prior most hp at those speeds is used to overcome drag and wind resistance. SO for example if you have 260hp and 200hp is used just to BE at 120, don't expect 60hp or so to gain mph very quickly. Green is right, to go noticably quicker at those speeds I bet you would probably need 50+more hp. I have noticed in my CLS that if you bring the gate shifter down to D2 and go thru gear, it doesnt seem as quick as SS2. So maybe try D4 next time? Our 4th gear can obtain max speed BTW...CLS anyway.

- Most people probably laugh at this thread and think "Man he is crazy going that fast".
that made no sense whatsoever.

4th and 5th gears are overdrives on the 5at. they are slowwwwww. its prob always been that slow, but you have just gotten used to is so it seems extra slow now. dont get on your car for like a week...and then do it. she will seem quick again.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:49 AM
SOLD

Originally Posted by cltypeSLOW
that made no sense whatsoever.

4th and 5th gears are overdrives on the 5at. they are slowwwwww. its prob always been that slow, but you have just gotten used to is so it seems extra slow now. dont get on your car for like a week...and then do it. she will seem quick again.
Hey it made a little sense, not much though! What I meant was, in my case when I accelerated completly through 2nd gear is SS mode as opposed to gate shifting, I found SS mode to run through the gear quicker. Yes even 4th gear is OD which is why it goes to max speed.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Got DEP???

Aight, I was driving in the same place as I was before when I smoked a out civic that thought he was fast... See, that was right after leaving a toll booth and normally I can hit 140 by time I was at 125 (judging by location of the road).

I didn't know if winter gas would have caused such a lack in it and I don't know if it is just that I need a tune-up... I guess, I ws asking if anyone else had this problem.

I have hit the limiter in 4th gear and it went straight from 120- 148 (looked like 150 ) a lot faster. But, as you can see in the video it just hung at 142 while in 5th gear and didn't want to move. That's the purpose of this post, I just don't fucking know why it is doing that...
Old 01-08-2007, 12:43 PM
B A N N E D

dont you have a torque convertor lock up in 5th
Old 01-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Got DEP???

Originally Posted by New Image Autosports
dont you have a torque convertor lock up in 5th
WTF?

That would be kinda dangerous...

We have a speed limiter that kicks on around 148mph. As for 5th gear purposly stopping your car from going that fast, then there would be no need for the speed limiter... Also, I'm sure if that was the case, they would design it to do it in 4th gear as well. Why would you be able to do it in 4th and not 5th? That just doesn't make any sense!

I have gone faster than this and got there faster than this time, so I'm sure it has nothing to do with a design in the transmission. It is after all the same transmission...
Old 01-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

Originally Posted by NightRider
Hey it made a little sense, not much though! What I meant was, in my case when I accelerated completly through 2nd gear is SS mode as opposed to gate shifting, I found SS mode to run through the gear quicker. Yes even 4th gear is OD which is why it goes to max speed.
no, it made no sense. gate shifting/ss mode has no relation to how fast the car runs through the gear. you are imagining things....

maybe you should have got a CLS?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:03 AM
SOLD

I do have a CL type S...let me include my sig...

From a stop, put the gate shifter into D2 and accelerate through second gear. In my perception (which is not altered at this time), it does not seem to build RPM's or speed as quickly as in SS from around 25 and above. I wouldn't think it would matter either way, but for some reason on my car it seems to. This was on the old tranny BTW, just had a new one installed about 1k ago and haven't tried this on it.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:23 AM
Don't Mess With Texas

oh well you didnt specify that it was from a stop. when you are gate shifting starting in D2 from a stop you are essentially starting in second gear from a stop.....which is intended for use during snow/icey conditions. if you ran through the gears starting with D1 gate shifting it would run through the gears no faster than the SS mode.

the S comment was for redsly
Old 01-09-2007, 07:01 AM
SOLD

Understood
Old 01-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Got DEP???

oh well you didnt specify that it was from a stop. when you are gate shifting starting in D2 from a stop you are essentially starting in second gear from a stop.....which is intended for use during snow/icey conditions. if you ran through the gears starting with D1 gate shifting it would run through the gears no faster than the SS mode.

the S comment was for redsly
Don't
There is no shit that I should have gotten a CLS! And there is no shit that I should have got an '03 CLS 6-speed!!!

I have stated it before, I bought this car knowing NOTHING about them. I took it for a 40 mile test drive at night and liked it, so I bought it (used at 54k).

I rushed into it, because I had spun a bearing in my Integra and needed a car for a 75 mile a day commute and it was in the middle of the winter.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Got DEP???

When you start out having your car in D2, you are essential telling the transmission "I'm allowing you to shift up to second gear only" and that's all it does!

That's the purpose of gate shifting, you are selecting the highest gear you want the transmission to shift to, then you physically choose the next highest gear each time you gate shift...

Starting out in D2 does not actually start you in second gear, it starts you in first gear then shifts to second gear automatically.
I think this is why you think that D2 doesn't go through full range as fast as SS mode 2...
In the SS mode, from a dig and slamming on the gas, you can bring your 1st gear shift up to 30 mph before hitting 2nd gear, essentially causing your 2nd gear to go through its range in a shorter time...

Seeing that you are from Colorado, you should know that when you are driving in the snow, a higher gear is better than a lower gear. Reason being is that you lose a lot of the torque. Unfortunately a lot of people think that by putting it in D5 would cause this... WRONG, you would need to be in SS mode and manually select a higher gear for less torque and in turn cause less wheel spin. Yes you will accelerate slower, but that is the purpose.

Incase you don't think it can down shift from 2nd gear to 1st gear in SS mode (you can do it until you are over 30mph), here is a cheap phone video of me doing it at just under 30 mph.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Got DEP???

Now, back to my original post for this thread...

Why the fuck is my car picking up so slowly and then just hanging there at 142???
Old 01-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Comptech Freak

next time try in 4th gear, then u will keep bouncing the rev limiter at 149mph

5th gera wil never go up to 149mph, i tried that b4 and it dropped from 149mph back to 140mph

i got a header so it kinda pulls hard after 130mph
Old 01-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Got DEP???

That is strange that 5th gear won't go as fast as 4th gear (top speed)...
But, at least someone else has done this and knows what I am talking about. I wasn't sure if it was because I wasn't in 4th or not. I guess now I know.
Thank You
Old 01-09-2007, 09:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
doesnt anyone know that the CL-P redlines at 6300rpm instead of 6900 like the CL-S?
Old 01-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Don't Mess With Texas

Originally Posted by redsly
When you start out having your car in D2, you are essential telling the transmission "I'm allowing you to shift up to second gear only" and that's all it does!

That's the purpose of gate shifting, you are selecting the highest gear you want the transmission to shift to, then you physically choose the next highest gear each time you gate shift...

Starting out in D2 does not actually start you in second gear, it starts you in first gear then shifts to second gear automatically.
I think this is why you think that D2 doesn't go through full range as fast as SS mode 2...
In the SS mode, from a dig and slamming on the gas, you can bring your 1st gear shift up to 30 mph before hitting 2nd gear, essentially causing your 2nd gear to go through its range in a shorter time...

Seeing that you are from Colorado, you should know that when you are driving in the snow, a higher gear is better than a lower gear. Reason being is that you lose a lot of the torque. Unfortunately a lot of people think that by putting it in D5 would cause this... WRONG, you would need to be in SS mode and manually select a higher gear for less torque and in turn cause less wheel spin. Yes you will accelerate slower, but that is the purpose.

Incase you don't think it can down shift from 2nd gear to 1st gear in SS mode (you can do it until you are over 30mph), here is a cheap phone video of me doing it at just under 30 mph.

negative. try it in your car. it starts out in 2nd gear.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Got DEP???

negative. try it in your car. it starts out in 2nd gear.
Ok, I'm finally breaking down and put in my single din Pioneer fron my old car...
I'm tired of waiting to get an avic and don't have all of the parts to hook up a computer. I have had two dash kits sitting here waiting to get around to it and I didn't want to lose the 6-disc in dash...
Fuck it, I'm tired of the poor quality from this bose shit...

ANYWAYS... I will as soon as I am done installing the radio and running my RCA's back. I'll stick it in second and just floor it and see what speed I can get it to before it shifts or see if it shifts before redlining...
Old 01-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

Ok, I'm finally breaking down and put in my single din Pioneer fron my old car...
I'm tired of waiting to get an avic and don't have all of the parts to hook up a computer. I have had two dash kits sitting here waiting to get around to it and I didn't want to lose the 6-disc in dash...

ANYWAYS... I will as soon as I am done installing the radio and running my RCA's back. I'll stick it in second and just floor it and see what speed I can get it to before it shifts or see if it shifts before redlining...
wrong thread?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

but really. d2 starts your car in 2nd gear. im almost positive. just go try it the car never shifts from 1-2 cause its never in 1st.

when im in traffic i always leave it in d2 cause its easier on the engine and tranny not having to shift so much.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Got DEP???

No, not wrong thread. Just letting you know that I'll try it after.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Got DEP???

but really. d2 starts your car in 2nd gear. im almost positive. just go try it the car never shifts from 1-2 cause its never in 1st.

when im in traffic i always leave it in d2 cause its easier on the engine and tranny not having to shift so much.
As far as it never being in first, the car is programmed to shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear at 9mph... Maybe that is why you think it doesn't use 1st. Why would there even be a first gear then? If that was the case, then 2nd would equal 1st and there would be a different gear ratio for 1st...
Old 01-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2nd gear in gate, all the way down on the lever, not SS, will only keep your car in 2nd gear. cltypeSLOW is right.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

Originally Posted by CleanCL
2nd gear in gate, all the way down on the lever, not SS, will only keep your car in 2nd gear. cltypeSLOW is right.
THANK YOU. damn i swear some people just can never be wrong.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

FROM A STOP. put your car in gate slot D2. it will NOT start in 1st it will start in second. and it will NOT shift out of second.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Got DEP???

Ok, someones tampon needs to be changed.
I never said I was completely right. I stated that I will try it after and find out for myself...
Old 01-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

my tampon is fine, i changed it this afternoon already. you are the one that didnt wanna hear it. i had to explain multiple times.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Got DEP???

Actually, I thought you were trying to explain yourself to someone other than me.
Also, I checked it today and you are right (you probably don't hear it from people, but I admit when someone is right), it is in 2nd. I never heard of that before and as I said earlier, I was going to check it out and I did. YOU WERE RIGHT!

Does that make you feel better?
Old 01-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

Actually, I thought you were trying to explain yourself to someone other than me.
Also, I checked it today and you are right (you probably don't hear it from people, but I admit when someone is right), it is in 2nd. I never heard of that before and as I said earlier, I was going to check it out and I did. YOU WERE RIGHT!

Does that make you feel better?
i feel great. its no rarity for it to be that way either. i have never been in a car that had a D2 function that wasnt like that. just fyi.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:42 PM
SOLD

That is strange that 5th gear won't go as fast as 4th gear (top speed)...
But, at least someone else has done this and knows what I am talking about. I wasn't sure if it was because I wasn't in 4th or not. I guess now I know.
Thank You
I took my 04TL (essentially same tranny as CLs) up to 145 in 4th gear. If for instance 4th gear and 5th gear go to max speed, why not use 4th instead of 5th with a worse ratio which means the revs will build slower?

doesnt anyone know that the CL-P redlines at 6300rpm instead of 6900 like the CL-S?
and I believe VTEC also kicks in earlier yo

see below...

It starts in second and stays in second. You can tell because if you go WOT from a stop in D2, it will take a second as the carbuilds revs in 2nd gear.

FROM A STOP. put your car in gate slot D2. it will NOT start in 1st it will start in second. and it will NOT shift out of second.
You can also use that for wet conditions to get more traction starting in second like RedSLy said. I had a 1997 C class Benz that was the same way and I'm sure other cars are as well.