Why a Maxima 5spd is faster than a CL-S

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 02:39 PM
Shaka

Why a Maxima 5spd is faster than a CL-S

And in addition to that most manual transmission cars will only lose about 15% of the flywheel horsepower at the wheels compared to 20% for an auto. And in addition manual tranny's are usually around 100lb or so lighter than an auto, and they generally have an extra gear. So all that is why a manual is usually quicker than an automatic in an otherwise identical car.

The Acura TL-S/CL-S guys used to stop over here and go "we have 260HP and you only have 222HP so " but they haven't stopped by recently (I think I scared them all away finally).

It is funny because even though a Cl-S has 260HP, with their 20% loss through the auto that comes out to 200 fwhp (front wheel horsepower) while a manual Maxima makes 222 HP but comes out to 190 fwhp, only 10 less than the Acura. After you throw in the 250lb of extra weight in the Acura it turns out that a 5th Gen Maxima 5-spd with LESS power is actually faster than an Acura with 38 MORE HP at the crank...heh heh.

Simple math boys!
Old 08-14-2001, 02:48 PM
Unemployed BUM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Shaka:
<STRONG>And in addition to that most manual transmission cars will only lose about 15% of the flywheel horsepower at the wheels compared to 20% for an auto. And in addition manual tranny's are usually around 100lb or so lighter than an auto, and they generally have an extra gear. So all that is why a manual is usually quicker than an automatic in an otherwise identical car.

The Acura TL-S/CL-S guys used to stop over here and go "we have 260HP and you only have 222HP so " but they haven't stopped by recently (I think I scared them all away finally).

It is funny because even though a Cl-S has 260HP, with their 20% loss through the auto that comes out to 200 fwhp (front wheel horsepower) while a manual Maxima makes 222 HP but comes out to 190 fwhp, only 10 less than the Acura. After you throw in the 250lb of extra weight in the Acura it turns out that a 5th Gen Maxima 5-spd with LESS power is actually faster than an Acura with 38 MORE HP at the crank...heh heh.

Simple math boys!</STRONG>

So what? If I had to do it over, and Honda didn't exist, I'd buy an Infinity I30 before I'd buy a Maxima.
Old 08-14-2001, 03:01 PM
Racer

ok let me ask everyone in here a real simple question, if the 5th gen 5 speed max is faster then why does motor trend and every other car magazine have the cls running 0-60 in 6.4 sec and the max 6.7 with the auto max running 7.8 i know evereyone thinx that its magazine numbers but come on people those guys are pros and they are testing cars for a reason. shaka if the math was so simple the 5th gen 5 speed max should be running low six'es. instead of hi six'es.
Old 08-14-2001, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Southpaw:
<STRONG>ok let me ask everyone in here a real simple question, if the 5th gen 5 speed max is faster then why does motor trend and every other car magazine have the cls running 0-60 in 6.4 sec and the max 6.7 with the auto max running 7.8 i know evereyone thinx that its magazine numbers but come on people those guys are pros and they are testing cars for a reason. shaka if the math was so simple the 5th gen 5 speed max should be running low six'es. instead of hi six'es.</STRONG>

Good point lefty- also explain how I took a maxima with my accord tough guy!
:p
Old 08-14-2001, 03:15 PM
Shaka

Cool. The I30 is more refined than a Maxima. But bottomline they are essentially the same car.

The new Manual CL-S and Maxima will both be very fast cars.

Originally posted by friendlydacat:
<STRONG>

So what? If I had to do it over, and Honda didn't exist, I'd buy an Infinity I30 before I'd buy a Maxima.</STRONG>
Old 08-14-2001, 03:21 PM
Instructor

<STRONG>Cool. The I30 is more refined than a Maxima. But bottomline they are essentially the same car.

</STRONG>
I disagree shakakan- they will not be "very fast cars" just faster than hyundai's
Old 08-14-2001, 03:21 PM
Shaka

The 6.4 in question has been induced by Acura Marketing budgets. Everyone knows damn well a true stock Cl-S cannot do 0-60 in 6.4 or less. Either way Real races go a lot faster and longer than 0-60. Magazines are great and all but real life experiences at the track is where it is at.

<STRONG>ok let me ask everyone in here a real simple question, if the 5th gen 5 speed max is faster then why does motor trend and every other car magazine have the cls running 0-60 in 6.4 sec and the max 6.7 with the auto max running 7.8 i know evereyone thinx that its magazine numbers but come on people those guys are pros and they are testing cars for a reason. shaka if the math was so simple the 5th gen 5 speed max should be running low six'es. instead of hi six'es.</STRONG>
Old 08-14-2001, 03:26 PM
Instructor

<STRONG>The 6.4 in question has been induced by Acura Marketing budgets. Everyone knows damn well a true stock Cl-S cannot do 0-60 in 6.4 or less. Either way Real races go a lot faster and longer than 0-60. Magazines are great and all but real life experiences at the track is where it is at.

</STRONG>
And how many tracks have you been to??? (Excluding BMX of course)
Old 08-14-2001, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by WildWolf:
<STRONG>
And how many tracks have you been to??? (Excluding BMX of course)</STRONG>
I wonder....
Old 08-14-2001, 03:54 PM
Unemployed BUM

<STRONG>Cool. The I30 is more refined than a Maxima. But bottomline they are essentially the same car.

</STRONG>

The same CAR?!? According to your CRITERIA, the I30 is inferior to the MAXIPAD!

You are so full of shit.
Old 08-14-2001, 04:31 PM
Banned

Shaka -

Timeslips?
Dyno Runs?

Anything besides magazine times and fwhp guesstimates?
Old 08-14-2001, 04:45 PM
Racer

i think i am going to trade in all 3 of my cars and get a vette, then i know i will be real fast.
Old 08-14-2001, 05:38 PM
Shaka

Faster than most 4 door cars for sure! Especially cars that cost the same or less and even some such as the current A6 and 540. Fast is relative.

<STRONG>
I disagree shakakan- they will not be "very fast cars" just faster than hyundai's</STRONG>
Old 08-14-2001, 05:51 PM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<STRONG>The 6.4 in question has been induced by Acura Marketing budgets. Everyone knows damn well a true stock Cl-S cannot do 0-60 in 6.4 or less. Either way Real races go a lot faster and longer than 0-60. Magazines are great and all but real life experiences at the track is where it is at.

</STRONG>
Also, mags don't always get a 'showroom new' car to test. Abused cars, bad gas, bad conditions, ... Mag times are just like street races, never perfect or ideal.

Like you said Shaka, the track is where it is at. Timeslips talk.

The max does respond better to mods because it weighs less and is a manual.

But a Max is not always faster than a CLS.

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Bluto ]
Old 08-14-2001, 06:25 PM
Instructor

<STRONG>Faster than most 4 door cars for sure! Especially cars that cost the same or less and even some such as the current A6 and 540. Fast is relative.

</STRONG>
WRX? How quickly we forget. 540 6speed will blow you out of the water.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:29 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Dude, obviously you don't know anything about the J32 TypeS engine and are just talking out of your ass. I don't even own a CL-S and I know more about this car than you do. The 200 or so HP that your claiming at the wheels only goes to show whats being produced at the wheels when the car is standing still. One of the main reasons why the TypeS is able to produce so much more power than the base model is because of it's dual-stage intake system. At lower RPMS, just like any car, it's already loosing power because it's standing still and the engine bay/intake pipe is not getting a big rush of air that it normally would when it's driving on the road. It's common knowledge right there that the car is not putting out it's full power potential. But then to top that off, when the other intake opens up to get even more air into the engine to create even more power, because the car is once again standing still, the car BARELY see's any slight increase in power. In reality, a CL-S makes WAY more than 200 hp at the wheels, which equates to a less than 20% loss of power through the drivetrain. Can you imagine how much more that percentage will drop when the manual transmissions come out? 15%? HAH! Maybe for a car of bad build quality. :p (HINT HINT) With the type of logic that you are using, that means that a CL-S is faster than my S2000. Cause c-mon, the CL-S has a better torque-to-weight ratio, that can ONLY mean that the CL-S is faster than my car!! And it makes more power at the wheels than an S2000! Shit, that only means that a CL-S can do the 1/4 in mid 13's since I can do it in high 13's with the S2000.

This is so sad that you Maxima owners are so insecure about your cars that you have to come to an Acura board to post false information just to try and make us believe that your car is faster, so you can make your self feel better about buying a car for the same price, but with half the luxury and performance of the CL. In some cases, I bet those people with the AE payed even more, lol.

And I'm not very proud of Nissan with their "new" Maxima. 255hp and a 3.5 liter V6? Still can't even pass up the CL-S's HP, huh?
Old 08-14-2001, 06:35 PM
Instructor

<STRONG>i think i am going to trade in all 3 of my cars and get a vette, then i know i will be real fast.</STRONG>

Vette's are going real cheap right now. I've seen 99's with under 10,000 miles going for approx. $30,000. In my book that's a steal- you can extend the warranty (7 years and 100,000 miles) for approx $1300. Also I average 22 mpg.
Old 08-14-2001, 07:01 PM
Ace rider

Go get'em VTEC Racer...
Old 08-15-2001, 12:13 AM
Racer

<STRONG>And in addition to that most manual transmission cars will only lose about 15% of the flywheel horsepower at the wheels compared to 20% for an auto. And in addition manual tranny's are usually around 100lb or so lighter than an auto, and they generally have an extra gear. So all that is why a manual is usually quicker than an automatic in an otherwise identical car.

Simple math boys!</STRONG>
Don't forget that manual transmissions usually have closer gear ratios and you can dump the clutch to get a better launch.
Old 08-15-2001, 01:07 AM
Shaka

Stock for stock a 255HP 6spd Maxima would beat a WRX easily on a roll. My car can beat a WRX on a roll I know since I raced a friend of mine who has one.

<STRONG>

WRX? How quickly we forget. 540 6speed will blow you out of the water.</STRONG>
Old 08-15-2001, 01:10 AM
Shaka

You don't own a CL-S either!
Your a fool look at the dynos of a CL-S! 200HP to the wheels range! Also my car has a Place Racing "True" Cold air intake. Your s2000 only does high 13's at best?? That is hillarious!

Originally posted by VTEC Racer:
<STRONG>Dude, obviously you don't know anything about the J32 TypeS engine and are just talking out of your ass. I don't even own a CL-S and I know more about this car than you do. The 200 or so HP that your claiming at the wheels only goes to show whats being produced at the wheels when the car is standing still. One of the main reasons why the TypeS is able to produce so much more power than the base model is because of it's dual-stage intake system. At lower RPMS, just like any car, it's already loosing power because it's standing still and the engine bay/intake pipe is not getting a big rush of air that it normally would when it's driving on the road. It's common knowledge right there that the car is not putting out it's full power potential. But then to top that off, when the other intake opens up to get even more air into the engine to create even more power, because the car is once again standing still, the car BARELY see's any slight increase in power. In reality, a CL-S makes WAY more than 200 hp at the wheels, which equates to a less than 20% loss of power through the drivetrain. Can you imagine how much more that percentage will drop when the manual transmissions come out? 15%? HAH! Maybe for a car of bad build quality. :p (HINT HINT) With the type of logic that you are using, that means that a CL-S is faster than my S2000. Cause c-mon, the CL-S has a better torque-to-weight ratio, that can ONLY mean that the CL-S is faster than my car!! And it makes more power at the wheels than an S2000! Shit, that only means that a CL-S can do the 1/4 in mid 13's since I can do it in high 13's with the S2000.

This is so sad that you Maxima owners are so insecure about your cars that you have to come to an Acura board to post false information just to try and make us believe that your car is faster, so you can make your self feel better about buying a car for the same price, but with half the luxury and performance of the CL. In some cases, I bet those people with the AE payed even more, lol.

And I'm not very proud of Nissan with their "new" Maxima. 255hp and a 3.5 liter V6? Still can't even pass up the CL-S's HP, huh?</STRONG>
Old 08-15-2001, 01:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
shaka, if you knew anything about racing you'd know that (generally speaking) torque is more important than hp.
Old 08-15-2001, 10:21 AM
Instructor

<STRONG>Stock for stock a 255HP 6spd Maxima would beat a WRX easily on a roll. My car can beat a WRX on a roll I know since I raced a friend of mine who has one.

</STRONG>
Dude- you have NO CAR! And your bicycle can't even beat big wheels!

Old 08-15-2001, 11:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
SHAKA

THATS RIGHT SKIRT BOY DROP THE MIC LETS FIGHT. YOUR ALL TALK AND ZERO FUCKING WALK. PULL YOUR TAMPON STRING UP OFF THE FLOOR, CUP THE MESSY BLEEDING VAG YOU HAVE WITH YOUR LEFT HAND AND GET OUT TO THE PLAYGROUND. SINCE YOUR CAR (THE WRX KILLER) IS SOO GODDAMN FAST THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM BEATING A SIMPLE CL-S. TELL US WHERE YOU LIVE SO ONE OF THE LOCAL ACURA-CLS REPS CAN CORDIALLY MEET YOU AT THE NEAREST RACETRACK. YOUR PROFILE SAYS NE, WE HAVE GUYS UP THERE THAT WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO SHOW UP. LETS CUT THE CHATTER AND BURY THIS. NUMBER ARGUMENTS ARE GAY, JUST PUT THE RUBBER TO THE STREET AND PUT SOME MONEY ON THE RUN. IF YOU WIN, PLEASE LEAVE, IF WE WIN, PLEASE LEAVE, EITHER WAY WE WIN. :p
Old 08-15-2001, 12:13 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Shaka,

I live in NE, What is your best track time ever, if any. Do you go below 15s consistently, then I will race you at the track.

A friendly race, it will cost just $15 plus gas and 45 miles trip.

R you up to the challange?

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: Nashua_Night_Hawk ]
Old 08-15-2001, 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator

that's an honest challenge shaka. thanks for offering Nashua!!!! now we can shut the punk up!!
Old 08-15-2001, 12:22 PM
Safety Car

W00rd to your mother, thats right Eclipse

Where is this pussy at? I am getting kinda tired of these cheezeeeeee, corneeeeee, posts. Step up shakakakakakakkakan. Represent.
Old 08-15-2001, 12:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
<STRONG>Shaka,

I live in NE, What is your best track time ever, if any. Do you go below 15s consistently, then I will race you at the track.

A friendly race, it will cost just $15 plus gas and 45 miles trip.

R you up to the challange?

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: Nashua_Night_Hawk ]</STRONG>
That's my boy nashua backing my shit up! I knew it would be so! Thanks for stepping up Nash!
Old 08-15-2001, 04:45 PM
Shaka

If that is the case how do you explain the s2000, Teg Type R etc..???

Originally posted by Mike:
<STRONG>shaka, if you knew anything about racing you'd know that (generally speaking) torque is more important than hp.</STRONG>
Old 08-15-2001, 05:43 PM
Racer

<STRONG>If that is the case how do you explain the s2000, Teg Type R etc..???

</STRONG>

dude step up to the challenge man, forget about the type r and the s2000 meet him at the track and race him already.
:o
Old 08-15-2001, 07:09 PM
Senior Moderator

1st off notice i said generally speaking and i'm glad you asked an intelligent question rather than just trolling.

a few things re: the s2000 and itr

they are fairly light cars so although more torque would be helpful it's not a huge issue

they are manual transmission so you can launch them at high rpms

aggressive gear ratios

anyone else care to chime in??

Oh Shaka, are you going to take Nashua up on his offer???

<STRONG>If that is the case how do you explain the s2000, Teg Type R etc..???

</STRONG>
Old 08-16-2001, 01:13 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

My offer is still valid, apparently he just ignoring my friendly challenge. I have only a CAI and he is bailing out

I think he never get below 16s, maybe high 15s, from their famous maxima.org, it seems 5th gen maxima with bolt-ons are struggling to get below 15.5s.

Shaka, either take my challenge or admit you can never beat a stock CL-S

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: Nashua_Night_Hawk ]
Old 08-16-2001, 01:29 AM
Shaka

I don't even live in the USA! No offence but I really don't like going to the US. Still way too much racism (obvious by few members of this forum) and violence. ie kids with guns.

<STRONG>1st off notice i said generally speaking and i'm glad you asked an intelligent question rather than just trolling.

a few things re: the s2000 and itr

they are fairly light cars so although more torque would be helpful it's not a huge issue

they are manual transmission so you can launch them at high rpms

aggressive gear ratios

anyone else care to chime in??

Oh Shaka, are you going to take Nashua up on his offer???

</STRONG>
Old 08-16-2001, 03:04 AM
Senior Moderator

ok, so if NE doesn't stand for New England what does it stand for? Where the heck are you from?
Old 08-29-2001, 02:48 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

I still don't understand why someone would compare a over 30K sport coupe to a sub 30K sedan.....
Old 08-29-2001, 03:36 PM
6 speed...

<STRONG>ok, so if NE doesn't stand for New England what does it stand for? Where the heck are you from?</STRONG>
he's from canada, I think. I'm not sure what NE is supposed to stand for, though. (I originally thought he meant nebraska...)

anyway, he talks a lot of smack about what he or his friends have done, and he'll certainly rely on the accomplishments of others (like the folks who ran at maxus 2001) while at the same time deriding the "magazine racers." he appears oblivious to the hypocracy of railing on the single slowest published time for any cl-s tested by a major automotive publication, while simultaneously quoting the single anomalistically fast maxima 5 speed test (several years out of date, to boot) as scripture.

for all his bluster on the follies (and there are many, I assure you) of acura owners, he's still one of the biggest jokers on this forum. god love him for it - things certainly are lively around here with him taking potshots...
Old 08-29-2001, 06:14 PM
Banned

<STRONG>ok, so if NE doesn't stand for New England what does it stand for? Where the heck are you from?</STRONG>
NE stands for Newfoundland. I think when Shaka makes these claims that he does, he is putting in a 'cold ass air factor' or a 'further from the equator so less gravity and rolling resistance factor' where a Maxima would enjoy an advantage, while other cars would not.
Old 08-29-2001, 06:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Pull_T:
<STRONG>

NE stands for Newfoundland. I think when Shaka makes these claims that he does, he is putting in a 'cold ass air factor' or a 'further from the equator so less gravity and rolling resistance factor' where a Maxima would enjoy an advantage, while other cars would not.</STRONG>
I think he's banned.. :p
Old 08-29-2001, 06:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by moomaster_99:
<STRONG>
I think he's banned.. :p</STRONG>
I've long thought that all non-Acura drivers should be banned...hehehe...
Old 08-29-2001, 07:05 PM
6 speed...

Originally posted by Pull_T:
<STRONG>

NE stands for Newfoundland. I think when Shaka makes these claims that he does, he is putting in a 'cold ass air factor' or a 'further from the equator so less gravity and rolling resistance factor' where a Maxima would enjoy an advantage, while other cars would not.</STRONG>
actually, the times he claims for his max are prolly about right for the 0-60 kmph (38 mph) and the 1/4km runs...

Quick Reply: Why a Maxima 5spd is faster than a CL-S