Why get more HP? Won't the computer still limit you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2001, 09:27 AM
Adult Supervision

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why get more HP? Won't the computer still limit you?

Guys,

A couple questions:
1) Why get new headers? Is this to make it go faster or quicker? If it was to make it faster doesn't the computer still limit the top end?
2) I haven't heard of people doing the back end of the exhaust for more hp much - isn't this a no brainer? How come you'all aren't spending money on the cat-back low back pressure exhaust systems?
3) Astro, what benefit does braided brake lines give you other then they probably look cool?

Curious minds want to know...

------------------
MikeS 18 - '01 CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment with Nav, Spoiler, door guards, wood trim kit, fender guards, PIAA 19169 & Platinum 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk tray, winter mats, Salt Coat Finish by Mass DOT, only 2 scratched rims
Old 01-20-2001, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,359 Likes on 3,729 Posts
Mike-go to the comptech site and take a look at the dyno figures for adding their headers. At points, 27 hp is gained over oem. Second, I have read that cat-back exhausts are 1) expensive, and 2) gain little horsepower for the buck (4-6). Now that to me is a true no brainer!

------------------
'01 Satin Silver CL-S, tint, Momo Cobra Carbon, Mobil1
Old 01-20-2001, 12:08 PM
Adult Supervision

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chief F1 Fan:
Mike-go to the comptech site and take a look at the dyno figures for adding their headers. At points, 27 hp is gained over oem.
</font>
But if the computer is going to then limit the speed, what is the point? Is it for quickness only or do we then couple this with a chip to increase the top speed?

------------------
MikeS 18 - '01 CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment with Nav, Spoiler, door guards, wood trim kit, fender guards, PIAA 19169 & Platinum 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk tray, winter mats, Salt Coat Finish by Mass DOT, only 2 scratched rims
Old 01-20-2001, 12:57 PM
Banned

MikeS18,

You want to exceed 147Mph ? Are you kidding me?> These mods are to improve acceleration through the entire spectrum of acceleration. I have yet to hear of anyone that wants to exceed 147... IMHO that is an unsafe speed for anyone to drive on public streets and just as hard to push that number on a track... look at some of the reviews ... Ill admit its great to open the car up once to actually say that you saw the top limit... but to look for ways to go over 150mph .. is not only irresponsible but extraordinarily dangerous to you and anyone nearby.. Not trying to lecture you really .. but I have lost two friends one met a telephone pole at 120+ in his RX-7 the other ran into a deer on his ninja.. he was found over 300 yards from the impact in a tree... no shit... so I love the sport but relax on trying to push numbers in triple digits in this car... it was not designed to be a formula-1 car.. it is the best all around luxo-coupe made to date.. appreciate it for what it is......

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black CLS Type S - Custom Chromed Aluminum Cold Air Intake, PIAA 19173(Yellow) Road Lamp Upgrades, Full Wood Trim, Spoiler, Custom Aftermarket Paint Etching On Driver Door http://types.50megs.com/index.html
Old 01-20-2001, 01:00 PM
ACME sucks!

Why would one want to have a top speed over 150? Unless you're in the desert southwest you would hardly ever achieve such high speeds. Quickness off the line and through the quarter-mile (with headers, intake, exhaust), along with improvements in handling (with springs, sways, brake lines), should be the focus of most interested in modding their car. Hell, a lot of people never use their improvements but just love knowing that they're there.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi

Wheel locks/35% tint/Splash guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 air filter/Mobil 1 5W-30 oil & filter
Old 01-20-2001, 02:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Another reason we do not invest in cat-back exhaust systems is because one of the things that Acura changed to make the extra HP from the CLP was the exhaust which made it flow by 30% better in the case of the Type S. So there is not much room for improvement there.

I can see that changing in a force fed application (increase the diameter mainly). Otherwise the cat-back is already flowing pretty freely.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 01-20-2001, 03:04 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's nice hear the voices of reason in this forum.I agree with you people on the speed issue,it is just not worth it in a country where speeds ar usually limited to 65MPH.Of course if you can get to the speed limits faster that is what Comptech and all the other manufacturers are all about.The headers are a great way to do that so is a cold air package with a safety valve.The cat back exhaust makes only a minor power gain however it exists for another reason,that being that it plain old sounds good.I agree spending money to get a nice exhaust note is probably not neccessary,however it adds to the appeal of an already nice car.Just my ten cents worth,Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 01-20-2001, 05:42 PM
Racer

The Braded Break lines Are stiffer and stronger, allowing the breaks to not be so Softy gushy when pressed. You get a firmer more accurate stop with these lines. The stock lines flex around when pressure is applied.

------------------
Old 01-20-2001, 06:32 PM
7th Gear

<<The headers are a great way to do that so is a cold air package with a safety valve.>>

just curious, what is the "cold air Package"?

Lance Brown
Silver CL-S wanting new passenger-side rims.
Old 01-20-2001, 06:33 PM
Instructor

SHAWN 18, did u ever go 147 in the car yet?
I have went 140 and i was fast, and the car DOES NOT HANDLE good at all at those speeds.
I think u should work on handling first like springs/struts/sways and then the speed cuz u will kill yourself in this car, I almost did, but im just a retard..
Old 01-20-2001, 06:34 PM
Instructor

Oh yeah they increase the time it get to get to 147, and makes the engin sound better.
Old 01-20-2001, 06:42 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A cold air package or better known as a Cold Air Intake "CAI" for short,relocates the engine air intake to a location inside the left front fender on a CL/TL vehicle.The purpose is to provide the engine with cooler hence denser air which will allow for some power gains.The safety valve should be installed along with the "CAI" to avoid hydraulic engine lock in the odd chance that you may drive the car through a puddle deep enough to allow the "CAI" to draw water into the intake.AEM,Iceman,PRM etc are companies that manufacture such intakes and can be readily purchased at speed shops or through the internet.

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on