Why get a Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 02:18 PM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why get a Maxima

I just went to the nissan dealer. Altima loaded = 30k. Maxima sitting next to it(not fully loaded but had leather, tail, etc) 30k. Next door at the infinity place loaded I35 = 34k. Why the heck would anyone get the maxima. Altima is just as fast but less luxurious inside. But if I want luxury for a couple grand more I can get the I35. Just don't understand. And on top of that the damn car had an adjusted market value of 1000 dollars. Are you kiddding me.
Old 10-10-2001, 02:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, check your prices. Maxima could be had at invoice, which is about 27k for fully loaded SE which could also be had with 6spd stick. I35, no stick, higher price, tougher to negotiate a deal, looks little better.

I dont know where u get the 30k price for the Altima, I thought they were fully loaded at 28k, what am I missing here? Maxima will be redesigned for 03, so I agree with you, if u dont need 6spd, Infiniti is a better choice, but pricier by about 5k.
Old 10-10-2001, 02:35 PM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not talking about what deal you can get but sticker price. Altima was at 30K, maxima was at 30k (with adjusted value) and infiniti was at 34 (with Nav, etc). Just don't understand Nissans marketing plan. the maxima and altima look like they are the exact same size and have almost the same HP and are so close in price it is ridiculous.
Old 10-10-2001, 02:38 PM
Pro

the maxima now is just a filler till they get in the new and improved version...the altima is now a direct competitor to the accord and camry, so the new maxima will be spaced up a little more...maybe to compete w/ the toyota avalon...but w/ a sportier feel...
Old 10-10-2001, 03:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by 95gt:
<STRONG>Not talking about what deal you can get but sticker price. Altima was at 30K, maxima was at 30k (with adjusted value) and infiniti was at 34 (with Nav, etc). Just don't understand Nissans marketing plan. the maxima and altima look like they are the exact same size and have almost the same HP and are so close in price it is ridiculous.</STRONG>
Ok, still check the prices. Sticker for sticker, Altima is 28,989 fully loaded with absolutelly every option according to KKB.com, cheaper than the new fully loaded camry and faster as well (direcor competitor)

Maxima fully loaded including the navi will run about 33k fully loaded for the SE.

I35 fully loaded is prolly about 36k fully loaded with navi.

The difference between maxima and the altima right now is like the difference between the Xterra and the Pathfinder. One is for younger people (the altima, xterra , thus less luxurious) and the other (maxima, pathfinder) more luxurious offering options like navi, better leather, heated package not offered on the altima for example.
You would get the i35 because you would like to deffirentiate yourself from the maxima crowd and have a somewhat better looking, little bigger car. This is how I understand the marketing strategy with Nissan/Infinity
Old 10-10-2001, 04:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I also don't think that the Altima is just as fast as the Maxima.... the Altima SE (V6) is putting out 240hp / 246 lbs. of torque with only a 5-speed manual, whereas the '02 Maxima SE puts out 255hp / 246 lbs. of torque and offers a standard 6-speed manual (auto is optional). On top of that, I think the Maxima is nicer looking then the Altima, but looks aside, the extra HP and 6-speed tranny alone are enough.....
Old 10-10-2001, 04:32 PM
Racer

I live in your area and shopped the Nissans and Infinitis before I bought my second car. I, too, wrote off the the Maxima because it was so close in price to the I 30. The new Altima wasn't out then but I know how crazy the adjusted market value thing is. Given today's economy, its very ballsy of them to keep that AMV on the sticker.

Just as an aside, I didn't like how any of the Nissan products handled. I couldn't express what it was but I am really picky when it comes to ride quality, handling, and quietness. The (then) Altima, and I 30 just didn't do anything for me. After each test drive, I got back in the CL and went "aaaaaahhhhhhh"!
Old 10-10-2001, 08:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by juniorbean:
<STRONG>I also don't think that the Altima is just as fast as the Maxima.... the Altima SE (V6) is putting out 240hp / 246 lbs. of torque with only a 5-speed manual, whereas the '02 Maxima SE puts out 255hp / 246 lbs. of torque and offers a standard 6-speed manual (auto is optional). On top of that, I think the Maxima is nicer looking then the Altima, but looks aside, the extra HP and 6-speed tranny alone are enough.....</STRONG>

I agree. The Max should be slightly faster if only because of better gearing from the 6spd. And the Max's interior is so much nicer than the plasticky, cheap Altima that I'd buy the Max if it were $5k more.
Old 10-11-2001, 04:47 AM
da da da

Let's just say I'm afraid of most of the new Nissan's they will be bringing over in the perhaps near, perhaps not near future.

R35 G-T-R. *drool

WTF is up with the Altezza lights on the Maxima???????????????!???????????!??!?!?!
Old 10-11-2001, 10:43 AM
Old timer

I like the way the Max looks now. I can only imagine how they might ruin it with the revised looks for '03. Just about every new car design that comes out these days looks like complete SHIT.