Why get the CL-P over CL-S??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2001, 02:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why get the CL-P over CL-S??

I know one issue is price but I see alot of cl-p owners modding there cars. (nothing wrong w/ that) but I was just wondering why didn't you get a Type S instead of the CL-P??

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 02-14-2001, 02:27 PM
Team Owner

Maybe insurance cost for someone with a bad record ???

The VIN # won’t give away any speed mods you make on your own.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 02-14-2001, 03:11 PM
Suzuka Master

yea, P owners can mod their cars up the wazoo
to S levels but not pay S level insurance

------------------
- Kvit -
2001 CL-P Monterey Blue, Parchment interior
Polarg BlHybrid M-6 Road lamps
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...725&a=10358832

Club Events Moderator
Old 02-14-2001, 03:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
I'm curious, which CL-P owners have performance mods? I have only noticed one CL-P owner with headers. I myself will probably only get a CAI.

As far as why someone would buy a CL-P over the CL-S is the interior of the CL-S. The leather with holes, cheesy looking black wood, and white gauges all cheapen the look of the car IMO. At least with Ebony interior.

CAI + Pulleys = $400-500

That leaves $1500-1600. Which is enough to go for the Comptech Sport Package (Springs & Sways) = $800

So you have $700-800 left and a CL-P that can keep up with a stock CL-S and out handle it.

------------------
2001 Silver CL-P
PIAA 19169
Eibach Pro-Kit
Tinted

[This message has been edited by SilverSoCal_CL-P (edited 02-14-2001).]
Old 02-14-2001, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SilverSoCal_CL-P:
*(snip)*

CAI + Pulleys = $400-500

That leaves $1500-1600. Which is enough to go for the Comptech Sport Package (Springs & Sways) = $800

So you have $700-800 left and a CL-P that can keep up with a stock CL-S and out handle it.
</font>
I'm not sure about this. A CAI and Pulleys alone add 35hp and 15lbs of torque? Also, the Type-S has a lot less restrictive exhaust then the CL-P. I also think that the Type-S has a two stage induction system where the CL-P doesn't (I could be wrong about that part). That has to mean something. In addition, the CL-S has a bigger wheel tire combo and stiffer sways to begin with, so you would need to upgrade your wheels/tires in addition to the "Comptech Sport Package" to out handle a Type-S. So figuring in rims and tires (we won't even add in exhaust) in addition to the rest of the stuff you mentioned, your $700-$800 left over is easily gone and I still don't think you could beat one....

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum

Email: juniorbean@acura-cl.com

[This message has been edited by juniorbean (edited 02-14-2001).]
Old 02-14-2001, 04:31 PM
SatinCL

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
I know one issue is price but I see alot of cl-p owners modding there cars. (nothing wrong w/ that) but I was just wondering why didn't you get a Type S instead of the CL-P??

</font>
At purchase time, I preferred the interior of the CL-P (in ebony). Also, at the time, I was able to get my CL-P for $3,800 LESS than a CL-S….and, yes, the insurance was about $450.00/yr lower as well. Lastly, I did not feel that there was a night and day difference in the acceleration (estimated 0.5 in both 0-60 and ¼) to justify the money and insurance differences. BTW, I had intended to install springs, sways, and wheels no matter what model I bought (I didn’t like both style of wheels!)

Now, and let’s be honest , CL-P owners can and do spend the same amount for the same mods as the CL-S owners. Any suspension mods will make the two identical handlers. However, any engine mods will keep us at a 35-40 hp deficit to any modded CL-S engine no matter what.  There is a bright side….a modded CL-P motor can and will perform spot-on to a stock CL-S. My headers, intake, and pulleys cost about $1,750 and supposedly yield 28hp +/- 5hp (per Comptech). Add $1,250 for my wheels, $750 for my springs/sways, and then do the math……my car performs equal or better to a stock CL-S for the same cost but less insurance….and that’s something I can be proud of.

So why didn’t I get a CL-S? I hope that this may provide a supportive argument as to why I did. Apparently, that $2,350 is a lot for many to swallow b/c in the Northeast, the CL-P outsells the CL-S 2.2 to 1 per Ramsey Acura.

------------------
Ken
'01 Satin Silver CL-P
Performance: Headers, K&N Drop-In, Comptech Springs/Sways, 17" Borbet T's & Eagle RS-A's.
Other: Flaps, X-Pel Clear Bra, Cannon Mats, Polarg Accent Bulbs, & Burlwood Shift Knob.

Stock GTech: 7.15
Current G-Tech: 6.46
Old 02-14-2001, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Satin01CL:
Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:

</font>
At purchase time, I preferred the interior of the CL-P (in ebony). Also, at the time, I was able to get my CL-P for $3,800 LESS than a CL-S….and, yes, the insurance was about $450.00/yr lower as well. Lastly, I did not feel that there was a night and day difference in the acceleration (estimated 0.5 in both 0-60 and ¼) to justify the money and insurance differences. BTW, I had intended to install springs, sways, and wheels no matter what model I bought (I didn’t like both style of wheels!)

Now, and let’s be honest , CL-P owners can and do spend the same amount for the same mods as the CL-S owners. Any suspension mods will make the two identical handlers. However, any engine mods will keep us at a 35-40 hp deficit to any modded CL-S engine no matter what.  There is a bright side….a modded CL-P motor can and will perform spot-on to a stock CL-S. My headers, intake, and pulleys cost about $1,750 and supposedly yield 28hp +/- 5hp (per Comptech). Add $1,250 for my wheels, $750 for my springs/sways, and then do the math……my car performs equal or better to a stock CL-S for the same cost but less insurance….and that’s something I can be proud of.

So why didn’t I get a CL-S? I hope that this may provide a supportive argument as to why I did. Apparently, that $2,350 is a lot for many to swallow b/c in the Northeast, the CL-P outsells the CL-S 2.2 to 1 per Ramsey Acura.

Wow, to date in VA all I've seen are Type S's and 1 white cl-p and 1 light gold cl-p and that's it the rest where all type S's atleast 20 to 30 that I see all the time.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.

Old 02-14-2001, 04:35 PM
Senior Moderator

*(snip)*
There is a bright side….a modded CL-P motor can and will perform spot-on to a stock CL-S. My headers, intake, and pulleys cost about $1,750 and supposedly yield 28hp +/- 5hp (per Comptech). Add $1,250 for my wheels, $750 for my springs/sways, and then do the math……my car performs equal or better to a stock CL-S for the same cost but less insurance….and that’s something I can be proud of. *(snip)*
</font>
Oh yeah, well, you still don't have VSA !!

Old 02-14-2001, 04:36 PM
Racer

Why CL-P???????? Well one answer!

Brand new 2001 $25500 Drive out

The day I bought my car, I was ready to walk in and get CL-S.... but my uncle (sale manager) told me they have one good deal, which end up $25500 drive out... In TX the tax is 6.25% so you can do that math... and tell me with THAT much money difference, it does make a different!

Edward
01 CLP
Houston, TX

------------------
Edward
Houston, TX
Old 02-14-2001, 04:55 PM
SatinCL

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by juniorbean:
[b] Oh yeah, well, you still don't have VSA !!

</font>
DAMMIT! Time to sell

------------------
Ken
'01 Satin Silver CL-P
Performance: Headers, K&N Drop-In, Comptech Springs/Sways, 17" Borbet T's & Eagle RS-A's.
Other: Flaps, X-Pel Clear Bra, Cannon Mats, Polarg Accent Bulbs, & Burlwood Shift Knob.

Old 02-14-2001, 05:00 PM
Senior Moderator

DAMMIT! Time to sell

</font>
LOL!!

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum

Email: juniorbean@acura-cl.com
Old 02-14-2001, 05:12 PM
Drifting

I see your point in getting a CL-P. The TypeS is still a sweet car ;-)

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 02-14-2001, 06:07 PM
SatinCL

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:
I see your point in getting a CL-P. The TypeS is still a sweet car ;-)

</font>
Absolutely! No doubt that the CL-S is sweet. But, Acura should have increased the envelope a bit more...or put an Accord 3.0 with mild tweaks in the CL-P to differentiate the two even further.

------------------
Ken
'01 Satin Silver CL-P

[This message has been edited by Satin01CL (edited 02-14-2001).]
Old 02-14-2001, 06:44 PM
w.t.f., mate?

Even if you CL-Pers did engine-mod/suspension-mod, that would only bring you up to the level of a Type-S-er. You seem to fail to forget that we can also mod up our cars and out-perform you again.

I have to admit though, the CL-P interior is *very* classy looking, especially in parchment. Wowzers. Another reason for the CL-P is the nice Monterey Blue color that only the CL-P has. Plus, the CL-P is cheaper. Not everyone has $3,000 to throw away on minor performance/aesthetical appearances. Nice car, I like it.

But, I'd take the S anyday. Bowling ball trim ain't bad. I like it

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 satin silver CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! ~Quantum tint~ ~Hiper Hibrid Plasma Xenon road lamps AND high-beams~ ~spoiler, baby!!~ ~Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector~ ~Shine by Meguiar's Gold Wax~ ~Member of the Scratched Rims Club~ ~Getting a red Acura badge shortly.~ ~Xephyr CAI on the way!(if it ever ships)~
Former post count : Over 500!! FREAK!
Old 02-14-2001, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iridium130:

I have to admit though, the CL-P interior is *very* classy looking, especially in parchment. Wowzers. Another reason for the CL-P is the nice Monterey Blue color that only the CL-P has. Plus, the CL-P is cheaper. Not everyone has $3,000 to throw away on minor performance/aesthetical appearances. Nice car, I like it.
</font>
muahaha you dig huh?
Actually I woulda preferred black interior on the blue P, but my ride would be too dead sexy for you all and then I'd have to cross the border into canada to get one too hehe cuz they dont make black int with Blue in the US.

That reminds me..I hella wanted the BLUE at the time!

Oh by the way, All you S people, when you beep your car, what color do your guages light up to? I kinda like how they light up to red on the odo cuz my odo is red
maybe its the same for both..

------------------
- Kvit -

Club Events Moderator
Old 02-14-2001, 07:32 PM
Advanced

For me there was no difference in insurance cost between the CL-S and the CL-P...In fact alot of insurance companies probably don't even know there is a difference...the engine displacement is the same and the CL-S isn't turbo or supercharged. Oh well, now that I think about it, I probably would have gone the CL-S route even if the premiums were higher...But the CL-P is still a fine car, don't get me wrong!!!
Old 02-14-2001, 10:41 PM
dynamic Duo!

I would've gotten a dang Type-S... but the only reason that stopped me was the insurance... if i look on the bright side, the premium has its benefits...
-well, actually, its personal preference, but i don't like the holes in the seats too much in the Type-S...
-softer suspension
-the engine is quieter

I like my car.. its coo.. not as fast as a type-s yes... but hey, it still chases rice anyday!!! heh

------------------
2001 CL Premium w/ Navigation (purchased 4/01/2000)
Satin Silver, Black interior

-Comptech sport springs
-18x8.5" Altstadt/Zivell Speed alloy wheels (+41mm offset)
-225/40/ZR18 Pirelli P-7000 Supersport (front)
-225/40/ZR18 Pirelli P-Zero (rear)
-Raybrig road lamps
-APC 9005 hi-beams

1994 Honda Civic EX
0-60 in 4.26 days
Old 02-15-2001, 12:10 AM
Instructor

I don't think adding the headers to the cl-p will give the same hp increase as adding them to the cl-s. The exhaust system is different, the intake is different, and I bet the computer is different.
Also, the headers don't kick in until over 5000 rpm. By that time the CL-S is already ahead and you are just starting to match its hp.

Then again what to I know...

------------------
Silver CL type S, upgraded cupholder, PIAA-19169, 3 coats Zaino and a pinch of salt

No Navi cause no matter where I go, there I am
Old 02-15-2001, 12:17 AM
w.t.f., mate?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Akim711:

-well, actually, its personal preference, but i don't like the holes in the seats too much in the Type-S...
-softer suspension
-the engine is quieter
</font>
Wow you haven't heard the Type-S engine scream at full throttle have you? Once you hear that baby scream you'll want to have the Type-S engine as opposed to the CL-P. But I guess the softer suspension/quiet engine is good for, say, old fogies who dont need the performance of the Type-S.

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 satin silver CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! ~Quantum tint~ ~Hiper Hibrid Plasma Xenon road lamps AND high-beams~ ~spoiler, baby!!~ ~Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector~ ~Shine by Meguiar's Gold Wax~ ~Member of the Scratched Rims Club~ ~Getting a red Acura badge shortly.~ ~Xephyr CAI on the way!(if it ever ships)~
Former post count : Over 500!! FREAK!
Old 02-15-2001, 12:27 AM
Intermediate

I went with the CL-P because I have enough of a problem staying out of trouble with 225HP... especially since the last car was a '94 Civic EX too. (I like that 0 - 60 in 4 days)

My ride is heavily modded, too: New Chrome air valve covers - $2.99; Bosch Wipers - $23.00.

Seriously, I like the ride a little softer. (I figure the softer ride will keep the rattles at bay longer.) I love the interior. The only mods I'd consider would be sways for the turns, and more bass for the stereo. I'm too old for anything else.

------------------
'01 Naples Gold CL-P
Old 02-15-2001, 01:11 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some people like the 318, and some like the M3. How much hp is enough for each person is a subjective thing. I personally like gobs and more gobs of power, and the cockpit of the "S" was a beautiful thing to me. I like perforated seats because I wear shorts in the summer and regular leather makes your legs wet--it doesn't breathe. Fake regular wood or fake bowling ball wood doesn't matter that much to me. The handling and seat of the pants roar at VTEC speed is the THRILL dudes. Type S rocks big time. CL-P is a great ride too.

------------------
CL-S PDG, TR Typhoon Wheels, Solaris 9005, guards, nose mask, V-1 & remote.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...493&p=31386570
Old 02-15-2001, 01:31 AM
Suzuka Master

a CAI can fix that purr on the P with a ROAR,
can't it? I have to take it pretty high to hear it 4500 rpm and above and definitely in the 5 zone

with the perforated seats, do they wrinkle?
cuz with the little holes they would tend to stretch out more and thus last longer maybe?

------------------
- Kvit -

Club Events Moderator
Old 02-15-2001, 02:07 AM
Pro

There was no insurance difference for me between the CL-S and CL-P. and yes it is true, most insurance companies don't even know the difference between the regular model and Type S.
Old 02-15-2001, 03:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Just look at it this way. All of the mods that our TL bros have the CL-P can also have. Just visit acura-tl.com and you'll see that there are plenty of mods available.

But that is only if (.4) seconds really matters to you.

And if it does, try blinking once...

------------------
2001 Silver CL-P
PIAA 19169
Eibach Pro-Kit
Tinted

[This message has been edited by SilverSoCal_CL-P (edited 02-15-2001).]
Old 02-15-2001, 10:12 AM
SatinCL

Somebody help me here....um....aren't we talking about 35hp and, on average, 0.5 seconds on every test out there.

Damn, some of you guys treat the CL-P as so inferior. Come to think of it, anything that's not a CL-S (e.g.: CL-P, 323i/ci, IS300, etc) is such a step down for many of you.

OK, I'm done now.

------------------
Ken
'01 Satin Silver CL-P

[This message has been edited by Satin01CL (edited 02-15-2001).]
Old 02-15-2001, 10:44 AM
SatinCL

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iridium130:
........Even if you CL-Pers did engine-mod/suspension-mod, that would only bring you up to the level of a Type-S-er. You seem to fail to forget that we can also mod up our cars and out-perform you again. .....

</font>
grrrrr.....did you read my post?

------------------
Ken
'01 Satin Silver CL-P

Old 02-15-2001, 11:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for everyone's post I get it now. But for insurance it was the same for TypeS and CL-P for me too. (All State) I even told them the S had more saftey features like VSA but they insitited it was the same car. Also for my state property tax I have to pay in VA they said my car is just a CL not a Premium or S model. May be some of your insurance companies are too picky.

------------------
CL-S

Old 02-15-2001, 03:49 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, I also have Allstate insurance and they said it was the same car so same payment.
Old 02-15-2001, 07:15 PM
Cruisin'

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SilverSoCal_CL-P:
[snip]..."The leather with holes, cheesy looking black wood, and white gauges all cheapen the look of the car IMO."

Time to pull out all those old cliche's: "There's no accounting for taste", "Different strokes for different folks", "To each their own"...etc.

The perforated leather, black "wood" trim & *silver* faced guages are just some of the reasons I *prefer* the Type S! Go figure :-).

SD

------------------
2001 Sundance Gold Type S
Old 02-17-2001, 06:17 PM
Instructor

For me it wasn't the cost,but the reasons I purchase the CL-P:
1) Liked the ride better
2) I've been through replacing 17" tires (on a Sebring) very limited in what I was able to get
3) I wanted green and it is not available on the S-Type.

------------------

Beat the Bruins
Old 02-17-2001, 06:59 PM
Advanced

I wholeheatedly agree with Sundance! Plus, you can only get the RED in the S model!

Red CL_S w/spoiler & subwoofer