Running Power directly from battery to trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2001, 11:37 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Power directly from battery to trunk?

I got the bose amp line in working. I added in 2 switches from radio shack. They work really well (i even have an extra input if i want a 3rd device). Anyways i taped power off the amp and i blew the fuse . So i guess i need to run a power line directly from the battery. Anyone have instructions on how to do this? Also do i ground it on the trunk or run a ground and the power from the battery.

------------------
------------------
2001 Silver 3.2 CL-P
Tints, piaa road lamps, hyper white turning signals & backup lights, eyebrows
Old 02-17-2001, 01:49 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

You can ground in the trunk but you risk a ground loop which can cause unbelieveable humming. I would consult a car audio shop for the best way.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 02-17-2001, 01:50 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

You can ground in the trunk but you risk a ground loop which can cause unbelieveable humming. I would consult a car audio shop for the best way.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 02-17-2001, 12:48 PM
Advanced

I ran a 10 ga wire(12 will work if you don't have a big amp or if you really don't work it hard) from the battery to the trunk. I passed the wire alongside a wire bundle that enters the passenger compartment just above the parking brake. Getting the wire thru the rubber grommet around the wire bundle was a b**ch. I ran a piece of stiff wire(a thin coat hanger works)thru the rubber, alongside the wire bundle, from inside the car.(sharpen end of wire so it will puncture the rubber grommet) Then go under hood & tape your + lead wire to the stiff wire(good duct tape works). Then gently pulling from underneath, while someone guides the wire from under hood, should get it inside the car. Then run it under plastic where hood release is located, then under door sill trim(pop off fastners). Then pull up rear seat bottom & if your stiff wire is still attached, run the wire behind the side trim(next to seat bottom) & up behind rear seat back(may have to loosen the two bolts that hold seat back on the drivers side & presto, you are in the trunk. As to ground - a good ground in the trunk area is fine, just remember the ground wire needs to be the same size(guage) as wire from battery. Be sure to fuse the + wire as close to battery post as you can & don't install the fuse until all wiring is complete. Also, don't forget that if you disconnect the battery, that the radio & Nav(if app) have to have code entered. Good Luck!!

[This message has been edited by WV250R (edited 02-17-2001).]
Old 02-17-2001, 01:03 PM
Drifting

WV250R, nice reply, I'm saving this one.. tks..

------------------
Eat Safe, Use Condiments
red CL-S, non-Nav
Old 02-17-2001, 01:17 PM
Instructor

You'll want a good inline fuse holder or circuit breaker, about 16-18' of 8 ga. wire (I made the mistake of only getting 14' and it just barely made it, hence the sloppy under hood arangement) You can look at the attached pics to see how I ran the wire. Once through the firewall, I ran the power along the drivers side door sill, behind the rear side panel, under the back seat and through the trunk pass-thru. I need to rewire this in the spring now that I have the instructions for the rear seat removal.

Here are the pics (.. and yes my car is very dirty!!!)

http://rrw.d2g.com/development/album...p_power_01.jpg

http://rrw.d2g.com/development/album...p_power_02.jpg

http://rrw.d2g.com/development/album...p_power_03.jpg

http://rrw.d2g.com/development/album...p_power_04.jpg

http://rrw.d2g.com/development/album...p_power_05.jpg

http://rrw.d2g.com/development/album.../schematic.jpg
Details of the install:

http://rrw.d2g.com/album/stereo.htm

------------------
The Red Rocket

bone-stock, and now she's Dented and Miserable!

[This message has been edited by CLS ACT (edited 02-17-2001).]
Old 02-17-2001, 03:09 PM
Racer

2 more questions

1) still not sure how to get through firewall. Do i drill through and put in a grommet or is there one already i am just passing an extra wire though?

2)will the car stop powering the extra power line i put in if the batter power gets below a certain amount? 60 amp fuse is good, right? With 8 or 10 gauge wire?

------------------
------------------
2001 Silver 3.2 CL-P
Old 02-17-2001, 03:50 PM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

damn, CLS ACT--nice work and thanks!
Old 02-17-2001, 07:14 PM
Advanced

Nice CLS ACT, you came thru the firewall in a different location than I did, but your pics are outstanding! Larry, don't drill a hole - either come thru the firewall where I did(refer to my earlier post) or where CLS ACT did. The amp has a remote power(this should hook to the head unit or the Bose amp (yel/white, #5 in schematic). This will shut off power to your sub amp whenever power is cut off to the Bose amp. If you don't feel comfortable running the + wire from the battery, get some help - just getting it thru the firewall is the only tricky part. Good Luck!!

Red CL-S w/ spoiler & sub
Old 02-17-2001, 07:20 PM
Racer

Thanks guys but i was still unsure about the firewall stuff, so i went to sound advice and they said they would run the power from the battery to the trunk for me for $35. Thats a pretty good price (i think). The cabling alone would cost half of that. Thanks for all your help anyways.

------------------
------------------
2001 Silver 3.2 CL-P