Why doesn't the CLS...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 06:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Why doesn't the CLS...

...have a low windshield wiper fluid level indicator ??

Damn, my 94 Ford Tbird even has one

So I and find out that the a low windshield wiper fluid level indicator is only available on models.

WTF!! Like us don't get snow down here ?? I mean, the CLS is a luxury coupe, that has many amenities, but no low windshield wiper fluid level indicator...

I know it's not a big deal, but maybe that's why Acura isn't selling that many CL's. Hmmm... I wonder if the BMW 3 series or the G35C has a low windshield wiper fluid level indicator...

Ok, I just had to get that off my chest, I feel much better now

BTW... I'm really just kidding around. I still my CLS (except for that one thing).

... back to coloring...
Old 02-27-2003, 07:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, I always thought that was pretty stupid too.
It probably only adds 5-bucks to the cost of the car.

If you look closely, the symbol is actually in the gauge cluster for the warning indicator.
I’m not sure if the bulb or wiring is there though.

Somebody in Canada should check with their dealer for parts for us.
I checked the HELM manual and all the instructions are there for the installation if we could get one.

Shawn S
Old 02-27-2003, 07:41 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Shawn S
Yea, I always thought that was pretty stupid too.
It probably only adds 5-bucks to the cost of the car.

If you look closely, the symbol is actually in the gauge cluster for the warning indicator.
I’m not sure if the bulb or wiring is there though.

Somebody in Canada should check with their dealer for parts for us.
I checked the HELM manual and all the instructions are there for the installation if we could get one.

Shawn S
Did the helms list the part numbers that we would need???
I have a friend who lives in Van, and he would but the parts for me and ship them. I am too lazy to find my Helms manual. Its boxed up somewhere. Let me know, cause I would do this too!!!
Old 02-27-2003, 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
god, complaining about such small things when there are big problems like transmission and RATTLEs all over the place??
Old 02-27-2003, 07:55 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by AztecRol
Did the helms list the part numbers that we would need???
No part numbers listed, just the assembly instructions and level switch testing procedure.
I even checked that “Acura Carland” online site and they don’t have the parts listed either.

It looks easy though. It’s just a small float that inserts into the bottom of the fluid container.
I bet the American version uses the same container with a plug in the hole.

Shawn S
Old 02-27-2003, 08:16 PM
Pro

Re: Why doesn't the CLS...

Originally posted by greenmonster
...have a low windshield wiper fluid level indicator ??

Damn, my 94 Ford Tbird even has one

So I and find out that the a low windshield wiper fluid level indicator is only available on models.

WTF!! Like us don't get snow down here ?? I mean, the CLS is a luxury coupe, that has many amenities, but no low windshield wiper fluid level indicator...

I know it's not a big deal, but maybe that's why Acura isn't selling that many CL's. Hmmm... I wonder if the BMW 3 series or the G35C has a low windshield wiper fluid level indicator...

Ok, I just had to get that off my chest, I feel much better now

BTW... I'm really just kidding around. I still my CLS (except for that one thing).

... back to coloring...

Baaa ahhaaaa haaa haaaaa...

I was going to call you a dumb ass, 'cause it's on the dash, but I guess it's because I have a Canadian car..... For once us froze headed northerners get something you warm weather southerners don't.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

SAWEEEET! Another MOD! I gotta have it! Allright you all from north of the border, paleeease get those part numbers for us. This is one mod I have got to do. .
Old 02-27-2003, 10:01 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Originally posted by Shawn S
No part numbers listed, just the assembly instructions and level switch testing procedure.
I even checked that “Acura Carland” online site and they don’t have the parts listed either.

It looks easy though. It’s just a small float that inserts into the bottom of the fluid container.
I bet the American version uses the same container with a plug in the hole.

Shawn S

Thats the first thing I did before I even posted!!! Did you notice part number 55351?? It is illustration number 12. Its called BUSH, WASHER TANK!! It looks like it might be a plug??? Let me know if this looks like where the float might go or if its the same basic size and shape!!

Old 02-27-2003, 10:03 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Why doesn't the CLS...

Originally posted by Wires
Baaa ahhaaaa haaa haaaaa...

I was going to call you a dumb ass, 'cause it's on the dash, but I guess it's because I have a Canadian car..... For once us froze headed northerners get something you warm weather southerners don't.

aheeemmmmmm **Cough NAVI Cough**
Old 02-27-2003, 10:04 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Well, now that I look at it, that is probably some kind of bushing that goes between the pump motor and the tank
Old 02-27-2003, 10:05 PM
Working with Lumberg.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smiley abuse...
Old 02-28-2003, 08:28 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by AztecRol
Well, now that I look at it, that is probably some kind of bushing that goes between the pump motor and the tank
I don’t think that’s the plug.

From the picture in the HELM, it looks like the level indicator goes in from the BOTTOM of the tank.
It looks to be about 1” in diameter.

I’m washing the ride on Sunday. Maybe I’ll open the “inner fender” up and look to see what’s there.

Shawn S
Old 02-28-2003, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks guys for the replies.

I had thought that my post would go straight into the rambling forum (an obvious abuse of smileys), but I think that my "rant" might have some merit after all.

The canadian parts (if they can be identified) should be able to be retrofitted onto our USDM CL's pretty easily.

Of course the level indicator isn't a big deal 'cause you should be topping off the windsheild fluid when checking the oil level anyways (which i think the manual says you should check every other gas fillup or something like that).

Shawn, I looked at the guages on my way to work, and really couldn't see where the idiot light is (maybe I'm blind). I agree that it's kinda stupid to have the indicator on only CDN models and not all of them. It's just another sign that auto manufactors are now run by accountants and not by auto enthusiasts.

P.S. I won't complain about not having an oil level indicator (my brothers 1990 tbird SuperCoupe has one of those, goes off when the engine is a 1/2 qt. low) 'cause that would really be petty
Old 02-28-2003, 09:25 AM
Team Owner

I think the indicator is somewhere in the rightmost bezel near the High Beam and Cruise Control icons.
It’s shown in the manual but of course says “Canada only”.

If anyone has Astroboy’s 260KPH “speed test” photo handy you can probably see it there.

Shawn S
Old 02-28-2003, 09:54 AM
Racer

http://imageevent.com/astroboy/speedopics
Old 02-28-2003, 10:17 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by vinnydahitman
http://imageevent.com/astroboy/speedopics
YUP, there it is just to the right of the security “key” icon.

Shawn S
Old 02-28-2003, 02:33 PM
Acura TL-S

i actually got pissed off about that too one day, and went to trace the fuse for the sensor.. it looks like there is no wiring going to the fuse, i was thinking they might have actually put the sensor in but never wired it... cmon, all the people in canada, someone please go to ur dealership and get a printout for the parts for it.. pretty please?
Old 02-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Darth Chocolate

No wonder that light never comes on!!! :swear2:

Way to save $2, Acura. Geesh. Well, maybe they'll put all the money they've saved into building a faster, cheaper, NSX.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That light is not in the cluster for the 2001 cls. I checked mine and there is no light or outline for the light there
Old 02-28-2003, 05:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by acur8ly
That light is not in the cluster for the 2001 cls. I checked mine and there is no light or outline for the light there
Same thing here on my 2003 CLS 6spd. No outine on the guage.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:22 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by greenmonster
Same thing here on my 2003 CLS 6spd. No outine on the guage.
Me too.

I've always thought that guage looked a little lopsided, like something should be there.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:19 PM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I got one... and it works..
BUT... Mine keeps coming on all the time now... the fluid is full...!! I guess the less features, the less potential problems...

:P
Old 02-28-2003, 10:37 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by acur8ly
Yea, you guys are right. I must have been thinking of something in another car I’ve owned in the past.

I checked mine out today and I even got out the flashlight and there’s nothing there.

Shawn S
Old 03-01-2003, 12:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
soo....we resolved nothing?
Old 03-01-2003, 05:19 PM
Pro

Re: Re: Re: Why doesn't the CLS...

Originally posted by bigman
aheeemmmmmm **Cough NAVI Cough**

Yeh... damn.......

You got me there......
Old 03-01-2003, 07:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by bkknight369
soo....we resolved nothing?
Yep, that pretty much sums it up

It went from ranting, to a glimmer of hope for a indicator retrofit, and then back to the fact that the canadians have something that use americans can't have.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:02 AM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Actually it does indicate that it needs a refill just as soon as more fluid fails to spray on the windshield. This "fail safe" indicator is 100% reliable and does not necessitate additional electronic components and wiring. Yes, you will have to pop the hood and refill it just as if you had an electronic indicator.

BTW, what self-respecting CL-ophile doesn't pop the hood on his/her ride at least every couple of weeks. Is the road grime going to wipe itself off? Take the occassion to quantitatively analyze all the liquid consumable generally found there and adjust accordingly.

Of course, some would point out that my position leaves open the counterpoint that a gas gauge is then unnecessary. However, running out of gas keeps you from getting to a gas station for a refill. Running out of windshield washer fluid is a minor inconvenience.

While were adding this Canadian mod, why not also add indicators for the power steering fluid, engine oil, coolant level, brake fluid, and driver's internal bladder.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

Originally Posted by Klamalama
Actually it does indicate that it needs a refill just as soon as more fluid fails to spray on the windshield. This "fail safe" indicator is 100% reliable and does not necessitate additional electronic components and wiring. Yes, you will have to pop the hood and refill it just as if you had an electronic indicator.

BTW, what self-respecting CL-ophile doesn't pop the hood on his/her ride at least every couple of weeks. Is the road grime going to wipe itself off? Take the occassion to quantitatively analyze all the liquid consumable generally found there and adjust accordingly.

Of course, some would point out that my position leaves open the counterpoint that a gas gauge is then unnecessary. However, running out of gas keeps you from getting to a gas station for a refill. Running out of windshield washer fluid is a minor inconvenience.

While were adding this Canadian mod, why not also add indicators for the power steering fluid, engine oil, coolant level, brake fluid, and driver's internal bladder.
umm engine oil is the low pressure light, which could indicate leaking or low oil. Brake fluid is indicated when you release your e-brake and the light stays on, or may come on throughout driving.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:41 PM
Acura loyal for 93mo/109k

I haven't felt any need for a low level indicator. With oil changes at the dealership, the car gets washed, vacuumed, and all the fluid levels topped off. I haven't bought washer fluid since 1997 and never come even close to running low.

Yeah, call me lazy, but I don't have to mess with taking my old oil in for recycling either.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Nice bump

I started this thread as more of a joke then anything else...

I've never run out of fluid before w/ the CLS, but I had to fill the reservoir before 'cause I did the 30K service myself...

Running out of fluid is more then a minor inconvience tho', it can be a safety issue. Especially if you're driving into the morning sun with salt all over your windshield... BTDT, and had to pull over and use snow from the side of the road to clean the windshield so I could see.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:20 AM
I'm here in spirit...

Wow, this is really old! Funny though...
Old 02-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Acura loyal for 93mo/109k

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Running out of fluid is more then a minor inconvience tho', it can be a safety issue. Especially if you're driving into the morning sun with salt all over your windshield.
Man I'm glad I don't live up north anymore. When I moved, the snow shovel got thrown out and I said goodbye to all that salt eating away my car. I think I developed an addiction to Bondo when I lived around MoTown.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ModAddict
SAWEEEET! Another MOD! I gotta have it! Allright you all from north of the border, paleeease get those part numbers for us. This is one mod I have got to do. .
Yeah, this is an old thread and funny too.

The reason I'm quoting this guy is I want to know what happened to him. Use to see him on the board quite frequently. anyone know.

Also, why hasn't scalbert made a showing lately? Did the mods do something to chase him off?

Where is Mr.Steve?? Allmotor?
Old 02-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Flap.

wow this thread is ancient
Old 02-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ThinJim
Also, why hasn't scalbert made a showing lately? Did the mods do something to chase him off?

Where is Mr.Steve?? Allmotor?
Scalbert bought an audi, and hasn't been around... Don't know where Allmotor has been hiding...

Mr. Steve is still around, but he's in ramblings and cartalk more often, since he's looking to sell his 6spd...

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/do-you-guys-have-logging-problem-second-generation-cl-forums-331593/
Old 02-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Hobo
wow this thread is ancient
It's only 3 years old
Old 02-12-2008, 11:48 PM
666 Speed

Alright this thread is really old, however, I was thinking.. Can anyone get me the number to a trusted Acura Dealer in Canadia? I want to call them to see if I can order the gauge assembly with the Low Windshield Washer light...

The entire thing with the motors and such costs $30 here in the US. (http://acuraautomotiveparts.org/acur...s=&view=normal)
Either way, I want to see if I can get it through them. I'll also ask about the tank with the float.

And for those of you who ask why...
I just bought another cluster and I'm going to be doing the LED conversion with it. Since its apart, I can just order the gauge assembly and put it in...

Or maybe a Canadian version of acuraautomotiveparts.org
Old 02-13-2008, 12:05 AM
666 Speed

We all know where the washer indicator it as per reading this thread.

However did anyone know that to the right of the brake lamp indicator and directly inbetween the BRAKE indicator and the Side Airbag Off light there is a spot for the DRL light?

And in the 6MT models, there is another place where it can be and thats where the ! is for the VSA in the Automatic models...

Can anyone in Canada take pics of their cluster or find me a pic.. I want to see what it looks like.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:44 PM
140,000 miles young

artbran I think you will need part number 9 in that schematic you posted, which is like $250, since that has all of the lights and electronics that would support the addition of the fluid level indicator, no?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:32 PM
dont be mad

i dont think my dads 2000 TL has the light either and its a canadian car...either that or its never been low enough to turn on i guess..

Quick Reply: Why doesn't the CLS...