why does my dealer refuse to work on my car?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 10:31 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
why does my dealer refuse to work on my car?!?!

dropped it off this morning...

asked for a few things.

1. Give me an alignment.
2. Check brake pulsation.
3. Fix rattles.

they called me.... THEY WONT FIX ANY OF IT.

First of all... they say they cant align my car because of the wheels or some BS. First was that it was too low... I said fine... adjust the coilovers to raise it up like i noted in the first place... a monkey could do it. They said ok... then they called back blaming it on the wheels.

The brakes... they blame it on my alignment being off. Said they cant diagnose them properly till my alignment is in spec... I asked how the f- im supposed to align it... they said "dunno".

The rattles... its all due to my sound system apparently...

I'm getting very angry. Very very angry......

PAA needs to be a chain. and Wayne needs to work at all of them.

FUCK. so wtf am i supposed to do.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Soopa, Sorry to hear that really sucks. Maybe you should take a trip down to PAA. At least you know they won't give you the BS Comments or Run-Around. Good Luck
Old 05-20-2002, 10:35 AM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Actually compared too what i have been through with them he is getting special treatment
Old 05-20-2002, 10:36 AM
Retired Post Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn that does suck.....shiet, take a trip down PAA.....they will help you out there big time.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:39 AM
Race Director

I don't know about you but i'm thinking a trip down to PAA is in the cards. or why not drop it off there Friday before the Meet like May 31st, get a loaner car have them work on the car Friday and then drive the loaner to the meet Sunday and pick up your car there.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:40 AM
The Creator

too bad PAA is 3 hours away.

thats a long trip for a fawking alignment!!!

I will most likely see if I cant get an appointment for Saturday the 1st....

I'll just stay in dirty jerz all weekend
Old 05-20-2002, 10:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

[i] I'll just stay in dirty jerz all weekend [/B]

There is nothing Dirty about Jersey, maybe that part that you visited. I live at the Great NJ Shore, that all the shittttty ass Other people come to visit MY SHORE.

OHH DAMN Sorry for the Rant.

You should come to PAA though and have them do it, Did you argue with the Service Manager? Threaten them that you'll call Acura C/S since all the dealers are so worried about customer satisfaction. I know my dealer keeps calling me after every service to make sure I am happy so when I get the survey I mark them as good. TRY THAT ON THEM
Old 05-20-2002, 10:56 AM
Team Owner

Couldn’t you put the stockers back on for the alignment.

If not, tell the dealer to swap out a set of STOCK CL rims and then do the alignment for you.
They should have plenty of “donor cars” there that they could do this with.
They could put the other car on the lift right beside the alignment machine and leave the wheels off it for an hour.
Suggest this and offer a little bit extra to cover the labor.

Shawn S
Old 05-20-2002, 11:00 AM
The Creator

i was kidding holmes!

i got nothing gainst jersey... its no dirtier then here. hehe

i bought my car at PAA... fyi.

Why is it so hard to find decent service when you own an Acura? It seems the only dealership doing right by their customers is PAA......

Most of my friends drive modified cars... most more heavily modified then mine... they have BMW's, Benz's, Lexi's... NONE of them have any of the problems with egtting service that I do.

almost ALL of my friends cars are lowered & have wheels. yet they all seem to have no problem going to the dealership to get a fawking alignment.

fuck. I'm taking it to fucking pep boys or some shit for a 20 min alignment then im driving back to the dealer and saying fix my fucking brakes.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:08 AM
The Creator

shawn, i dont know too much about the technicalities of an alignment...

but wouldnt wheels affect alignment? so if i go and put my aftermarket ones back on wouldnt that throw off my new alignment?

and heres the thing. WHAT THE FUCK prevents them from giving me an alignment??

my wheels/tires are the EXACT same diameter as stock. only difference is width.

seems silly to suggest they cant accomodate 8" wide wheels?!?

doesnt the MDX have 8" wide wheels?!
Old 05-20-2002, 11:13 AM
Powered By HONDA

m.. i know how u feel..i used to have a heavy mod honda accord and i bring it to the dealer for some warranty work fix..and they done that for me..without mentioning any words about my mod or due to my mods they can not do this or that..
they just do not want to fix your car and it has nothing to do about your mods..what will i do is talk to the service manager or general manager...if that does not work..try to bring it to other acura dealer..good luck to u....
Old 05-20-2002, 11:17 AM
Team Owner

They probably can’t get the (4) sensors on the wheels to setup the machine.
I’m no “expert” either, but I know even PAA had problems with my 18’s.
They had to attach them on the INSIDE of the wheel, not the tire side.
Even they might not be able to handle your 19’s.

The car is in the air supported by the frame during alignment, so I don’t think the wheels/tires matter much after the machine is setup.

Shawn S
Old 05-20-2002, 11:18 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by soopa

Why is it so hard to find decent service when you own an Acura? It seems the only dealership doing right by their customers is PAA......
You're right. Even my dealer, with its excellent sales team and at least one top-notch tech is not as good as PAA. I only have excellent service because I'm friends with the tech.

eidt- shawn, ewww your dealer still has the old alignment machine too? :-\

It works great, i'm sure, but can't accomodate lowered cars well at ALL. Mine just BARELY (mm space) made it on since I raised it a little over half an inch before I got the alignment done.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:33 AM
Drifting

same shit happened to me when i took my car in to have the rotors checked. They blamed it on the rims and i was like is that the only fawkin excuse you guys use. It is going in thurs for the tranny and 30k service
Old 05-20-2002, 11:39 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
soopa, finding a place to align a lowered car is difficult to do, esp. if you have large wheels, because the beams can't hit the right spots. It took me forever to find a place to finally do my alignment for my car. Also if you raise the car up to align it your alignment will then be off when you lower it again. The rattles could very well be caused by your system, but they should still fix that shit
Old 05-20-2002, 11:49 AM
The Creator

I just found a place who will align it.

called my boys at Autobahn Performance they told me to go to Omilin Auto Svc.

scott, I had no idea that they would have so many problems... the lowered part I can understand. the wheels i had no clue.

I've heard that I should be able to raise/lower up to an inch after an alignment without throwing things off... is this true?

What about temporarily lowering, like... just dropping it at a standstill at a show... then raising it back to where it was... will tha fuck my alignment?

as for the rattles... yea, bass could have caused them... maybe. but ya, they should fix it since this POS should be held together by more then elmers glue.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:53 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Soopa- you got a PM
Old 05-20-2002, 11:54 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
I just found a place who will align it.

called my boys at Autobahn Performance they told me to go to Omilin Auto Svc.

scott, I had no idea that they would have so many problems... the lowered part I can understand. the wheels i had no clue.

I've heard that I should be able to raise/lower up to an inch after an alignment without throwing things off... is this true?

What about temporarily lowering, like... just dropping it at a standstill at a show... then raising it back to where it was... will tha fuck my alignment?

as for the rattles... yea, bass could have caused them... maybe. but ya, they should fix it since this POS should be held together by more then elmers glue.

temporarily lowering should be fine, as long as the car is alignend basically at the height you will drive at everyday.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:59 AM
The Creator

Originally posted by ghander
temporarily lowering should be fine, as long as the car is alignend basically at the height you will drive at everyday.
thanx holmes.

and thx wayne...
Old 05-20-2002, 12:40 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
What does alignment have to do with the brakes? Serioulsy, not trying to be funny. Are they related?
Old 05-20-2002, 12:43 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally posted by Loseit
What does alignment have to do with the brakes? Serioulsy, not trying to be funny. Are they related?

i believe if the toe is fucked up it'll angle the rotor a little causing the brake pads to wear down unevenly
Old 05-20-2002, 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

such is the difficult life of a baller, *sigh*
Old 05-20-2002, 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

this is when you bust out and point at the 'acura-cl.com' sticker

"DO YOU FUCKEN KNOW WHO I AM?" I OWN ACURA-CL.COM W/ 7000 MEMBERS I CAN TAKE YO ASS DOWN. NOW FIX MY SHIT"

Threaten there ass man come on
Old 05-20-2002, 07:11 PM
Advanced

I've been reading this board for a long time but never posted - wanted to let you know about my experience with the brake shimmy I read about in previous post about the service bulletin. I had my 30k service at Vandergriff Acura in Arlington, TX on Friday. Asked the service advisor about the service bulletin on the brake pulsation.

They gave me a free brake job, turned all rotors and changed front brake pads, no questions asked!! I was really pleased...this dealership has always given great service.

Thanks to everyone for the great info...I probably would not have even mentioned the brake pulsation to the dealer if I had not read about on the boards!!

2001 CL-S
Black/Black non-navi
spoiler, tint
everything else is stock except the scratched rim...

Old 05-20-2002, 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I dont know any dealerships in Chicago that can do an alignment on 18+ rims....they just frankly arent equiped for that. I went to a special truck alignment shop.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: why does my dealer refuse to work on my car?!?!

asked for a few things.

1. Give me an alignment.
3. Fix rattles.

First of all... they say they cant align my car because of the wheels or some BS. First was that it was too low... I said fine... adjust the coilovers to raise it up like i noted in the first place... a monkey could do it. They said ok... then they called back blaming it on the wheels.

The brakes... they blame it on my alignment being off. Said they cant diagnose them properly till my alignment is in spec... I asked how the f- im supposed to align it... they said "dunno".

Actually, I just went in to ACURA today for an alignment check and they also said they couldn't do it because of the size of my rims.... something about not haveing an adapater for 19's..... anyway, they called a place for me to get my alignment done and they are 10 bucks cheaper.....

Maybe everything they're saying is true.... I dunno bout the brakes and stuff... ask another ACURA dealer and see what they say....
Old 05-20-2002, 08:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: why does my dealer refuse to work on my car?!?!

asked for a few things.

1. Give me an alignment.
3. Fix rattles.

1. The dealer should have recommended a tire and/or alignment place they use and/or like. I had the same issue and one of the "better" dealers suggested that I take my car over to the place where they send the NSX guys. It really depends on the dealer -- they are expected to work on "stock" wheels and tires, but they are not told how or what equipment they need to perform the task. As it turns out, some dealers are doing you a favor by steering you elsewhere. You will probably get a tire/alignment shop with top-notch alignment gear and if your in to balancing, you might find that they will have equipment that is better suited for balancing at high speeds (and so on, and so on, and so on).

2. The brake pulsation is a TSB item -- get 'em to fix it with the appropriate TSB in hand (their explanation is BS – and, do you really want these people working on your car??? )

http://www.thelastonealive.com/img/p..._tsb_01017.jpg

3. See the do you really want them working on the car…. The wheel and shocks will cause more body flex, but they're on the hook for the rattles. (Once again, they may do more harm than good; it wouldn't be the first time...get someone else that you trust...)
Old 05-20-2002, 08:14 PM
One Large Member

Originally posted by NJ_CLS_driver

Threaten them that you'll call Acura C/S since all the dealers are so worried about customer satisfaction.
What dealers?

Hey Soop - what shop are you at? Lia?
Old 05-21-2002, 01:04 AM
Eurotrash

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Service Bulletin 01-017

I'd like to give a BIG thanks to EricL for supplying a link to the TSB which we should all have in hand when we complain about warped discs to the dealer.
My 2001 CL-S with only 34000 miles has developed this warp. I solved the problem on my Legend by buying new Brembo cross-drilled discs, and just accepting that weak brakes are a Honda trait. Now I will harass the dealer until the warranty runs out and hope that better discs will become available from Brembo. With everyone's help, we can encourage Brembo to produce these sooner. Go to http://hp.brembo.com/ and pick "recommend a brake system" and pick "sport." These are going to cost more than the other brands of cross-drilled discs, but Brembo are the best and they have a really cool logo.

Let's archive the service bulletin somewhere!
Old 05-21-2002, 07:12 AM
('''\_(o_0)_/''')

You have every right to basically tell the dealer to fuck off, that this isn't the kind of service you expect, nor should you. I'm not familiar with the New York area, but I imagine there's more than one Acura dealership in your area. Tell them that they've lost your business and simply move elsewhere.

We only have one Acura dealership throughout my area, Sunnyside Acura in New Hampshire. There is Ron Bouchard Acura/Suzuki/Kia, but I don't trust that guy. :o He's not a certified dealer anyhow.

Luckily, Sunnyside Acura is great, and I have a 1st rate relationship with their general manager and my sales representative.

Good luck, soopa. Stand up for yourself.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:38 AM
Pro

doesnt the MDX have 8" wide wheels?!

Will those rims fit our cars ??
Old 05-28-2002, 01:23 PM
One Large Member

Originally posted by AcuraFanatic

We only have one Acura dealership throughout my area, Sunnyside Acura in New Hampshire. There is Ron Bouchard Acura/Suzuki/Kia, but I don't trust that guy. :o He's not a certified dealer anyhow.

Luckily, Sunnyside Acura is great, and I have a 1st rate relationship with their general manager and my sales representative.

I thought I'd seen some negative posts about this dealership...

Old 05-28-2002, 02:14 PM
Advanced

Soopa, if you are coming to Buffalo soon, contact Jim Gillette @ Ray Laks Acura, tell him Scott Printup told you to call him. 716 632 1111. If he can help you, he will.

Good luck!