Why do i suck at drag strip launches????

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002 | 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Why do i suck at drag strip launches????

man...i dont understand it...i went wed. test and tune night...only three runs...and the R/T on all three were ASS....
.981 WTF
.890 still complete shit
.810 still shity...i feel like im punching it when the last yellow lights up...i need suggestions...is it that even though im punching it the breaks havent released (we're talking fractions of a second here)...or is it the little bit of wheel spin???alittle of both...this is a sports man tree so .500 would be perfect...
Old 03-29-2002 | 08:19 AM
Instructor

Launch when the second yellow goes off.
Old 03-29-2002 | 08:20 AM
'Cooter

Re: Why do i suck at drag strip launches????

Originally posted by typeR
man...i dont understand it...i went wed. test and tune night...only three runs...and the R/T on all three were ASS....
.981 WTF
.890 still complete shit
.810 still shity...i feel like im punching it when the last yellow lights up...i need suggestions...is it that even though im punching it the breaks havent released (we're talking fractions of a second here)...or is it the little bit of wheel spin???alittle of both...this is a sports man tree so .500 would be perfect...
tonight's gonna b try #3 for me at the strip...my times also suk...i punch it at the last yellow...tonight, im lighting it up after the second yellow...fact is, the car isn't as responsive as we would like...there is a split second time difference between punching it and the car kicking in, so timing is everything...even when i torque brake, it doesn't do all that much to R/T...plus wheel spin hurts, so i think it's a combo of both...since tonight i got different tires, im goin all out foot to the floor, seeing how much juice i can give it before the tires give out some
Old 03-29-2002 | 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

well thats just like me scotter...this was my third time...i have the toyo T1-S now...235/45 not much wheel spin but alittle...i think i need to get there earlier so i get a couple times just to practice the launch...im goin to try the next time when the second light is going out...i just feels wrong...like im cheating...in the street you go when you see green...i did take some mpeg ,but it came out crappy....i beat a bimmer that wanted to line up with me...and on the way home...for the second time i held off a trans am WS5 convertible all they way through second...cool guy ...the next light he yell over "that's not stock....i was surprised as hell...nice car man...we exchanged pealsantries...and were on our way....9.600 was my best time of the night....
Old 03-29-2002 | 09:11 AM
'Cooter

Originally posted by typeR
9.600 was my best time of the night....
in what??? a funny car???
Old 03-29-2002 | 09:22 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Scooter

in what??? a funny car???
Most likely that's a 1/8 mile time.
Old 03-29-2002 | 09:44 AM
I love my CL-S

Originally posted by evocative
Launch when the second yellow goes off.
do you have to hit the gas all the way down hard???

i gotta ask you this coz that's a awsome 1/4# for your auto lude
Old 03-29-2002 | 10:31 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

It depends on your tires. You really need to KNOW them before you race. How hot or cold they are. How hot(mean really hot) do they need to be before you'll get wheel-hop? How much traction is left? How much can you push down on the gas and spin the tires?

We need a little bit of wheel spin but not alot; otherwise, you'll loose toooo much power(NOT TIME)in the 60 ft. Accordingly, stomping is NOT what you'd like to do unless the tire is REALLLLLY grippy. You want a little slip and that's it. The gas pedel needs to go down half way and then let up for a split second to let the tires catch and then stomp. You just want to get the car moving. When you stomp off the line you loose valuable engine power because the RPM's continue to climb, which means our power band in first gear gets smaller and smaller. Since, we only use the first three gears for the 1/4 run wasting first gear by spinning alot in 1st is counter productive. With an intake the car will have barely shifted into third by the time the race is done.
Old 03-29-2002 | 10:32 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by WiLd~CL~TYPS-@SS

The awesome time isn't because of his technique. 13.9 is from NOS. I'm sure he's a good driver but remember he's spraying.
Old 03-29-2002 | 10:38 AM
Racer

Try taking the car out of REVERSE!!!! JK.
Try lighting the tires up a bit before your pass, that way you get a little heat into them. Bets way to do this is VSA off, SS, and left foot on the brake, step on the gas with right foot,release brake like you would a clutch. This will allow you to get an easy burnout that will not destroy your brakes as bad using the e-brake. Just burn them through first you can get off the gas before you go into second. This is enough to heat your tires, without balding them. Good luck!!!
Old 03-29-2002 | 10:42 AM
Racer

Another thing to think of, reduce the weight tranfer by taking out your spare/jack/etc. If you have already done this don't worry about it obviously.
Old 03-29-2002 | 10:44 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Ultimac
Try taking the car out of REVERSE!!!! JK.
Try lighting the tires up a bit before your pass, that way you get a little heat into them. Bets way to do this is VSA off, SS, and left foot on the brake, step on the gas with right foot,release brake like you would a clutch. This will allow you to get an easy burnout that will not destroy your brakes as bad using the e-brake. Just burn them through first you can get off the gas before you go into second. This is enough to heat your tires, without balding them. Good luck!!!

LIghting up the tires before the run will help if the car has been sitting for some time. If the tires are still hot from a previous run then the you will get MAD wheel hop.

SS no you are wrong. SS BLOWS.

VSA off and Gateshift.
Old 03-29-2002 | 10:56 AM
Sold 12/29/04 :-(

Also, when you go to the track make sure you drop the air pressure in your tires to about 20 psi. You will get much better traction. Just remember to re-inflate them after the track b/c it's not good to drive around on the street with 20 psi.

You will not be cheating if you start after the 2nd yellow light b/c by the time your car starts to move the light will be green.

Lastly, try not to be so concerned about your reaction time. The clock does not start until you break the 2nd stage beam (there are 2 infared beams for staging pre-stage & full stage).

What does affects your quarter mile time is you 60' time (generally, the average driver on street tires should be able to get about a 2.0 to 2.2 sec 60' times). Anything more than 2.2 on the 60' time & your quarter mile time will be shitty.
Old 03-29-2002 | 11:01 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by SFLA_Type-S
Also, when you go to the track make sure you drop the air pressure in your tires to about 20 psi. You will get much better traction. Just remember to re-inflate them after the track b/c it's not good to drive around on the street with 20 psi.

You will not be cheating if you start after the 2nd yellow light b/c by the time your car starts to move the light will be green.

Lastly, try not to be so concerned about your reaction time. The clock does not start until you break the 2nd stage beam (there are 2 infared beams for staging pre-stage & full stage).

What does affects your quarter mile time is you 60' time (generally, the average driver on street tires should be able to get about a 2.0 to 2.2 sec 60' times). Anything more than 2.2 on the 60' time & your quarter mile time will be shitty.

How much of a diff does dropping the tire pressure to 20 psi make? I thought it would hurt more in the top end than help in the low end.
Old 03-29-2002 | 11:07 AM
Racer

Zapata have you blown a tranny? I haven't, but i don't trust gateshifting our car with its weak tq converter. I'm not saying you are wrong by any means I am just saying I would not do that with my car. (not for such a slight advantage)
Old 03-29-2002 | 11:10 AM
Banned

I think that 25psi is the ideal...anything more than that and you are creating a lot of drag at the end of the race.
Old 03-29-2002 | 11:11 AM
Sold 12/29/04 :-(

I have not been to the track with my CL-S yet (going as soon as i get sticky tires), but when I had my Integra GS-R w/NOS I ran a 2.4 sec 60' time & 14.3 at 98mph with 33 psi on Toyo T1-S. Then, a friend of mine told me to drop the air pressure to 20 psi & I ran 2.0 sec 60' time & 13.8 @102mph on the same tires.

Originally posted by Zapata:
How much of a diff does dropping the tire pressure to 20 psi make? I thought it would hurt more in the top end than help in the low end.
Old 03-29-2002 | 11:26 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by WiLd~CL~TYPS-@SS

Thanks.

I brake torqued for the 15.3 all motor run. On the Lude actually had to find the sweet spot for optimum runs and yes the 13.9 is with 50 shot of NOS. FYI, stall on the Lude is 2400RPM.

I haven't ran the TL-S on the track yet... so I don't know how it is.

About tire pressure, lower you go (to a point) will result in a better 60' but you will lose some MPH on the top end. It's about finding what's best for your setup/car.

I try to concentrate on getting the best 60' first then work your way up the track.
Old 03-29-2002 | 12:03 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Ultimac
Zapata have you blown a tranny? I haven't, but i don't trust gateshifting our car with its weak tq converter. I'm not saying you are wrong by any means I am just saying I would not do that with my car. (not for such a slight advantage)
You're saying that gateshifting will hurt the tranny? Why? The delay between the shift and the gear change is the exact same. The car does not just pop into the next gear.
Old 03-29-2002 | 12:47 PM
Senior Moderator

hey thanks for some of the replys ...i have no jack no spare...little wheel spin and 6.2 60ft times...9.6 is 1/8th mile...the quater is too far to travel w/o RES......sfla-typeS i know about R/t and the fact it doesnt effect your times...however the mustang that beat me by about 2 tenths could have been made a close race by not pulling a .981 r/t.. damn that sucked...than he asked if i wanted to race for money... when i get res im gonna try to get a 20$ spot out of that guy...
next time im gonna try holding the break down as lightly as i tkaes to keep the car from rolling foward and go as the second light is going out...i know its not cheating and you cant cheat you either leave on time or you red light...i just think in my mind ,its hard to convince myself that its ok togo so early when in a street race you dont go until you see green...