Why Aren't More People Using Nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 03:29 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why Aren't More People Using Nitrous?

After searching quite a bit about nitrous here on Acurazine and seeing what kind of track results people are getting with a simple 75 dry shot with a basic Zex kit, why the hell aren't more people doing this?

Yes, nitrous is not constant power. Now for some you that maybe a huge problem but for someone like me who uses the car as a daily driver - I honestly don't shift over 3-4K RPM's unless I'm racing, etc. Anyway, with a 75 dry shot and intake/headers/exhaust it seems like you can get pretty close to the same track times being blown at 6-8 PSI with the Comptech SC.

Now given my CL-6 has 107K miles and needs a clutch and flywheel soon anyway, the Zex dry kit is about 1/3rd of the price installed compared to the SC.

I'm thinking about ordering the Zex dry kit from Excelerate along with whatever else I need? Cold plugs or something I was told I need, and apparently with a 75 dry shot no fuel management is needed?

And no I won't be using it at every light, probably 3-4x a week typically. And obviously after the engine is warmed up, probably off a roll, etc.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Racer

I would think that the reason more people dont use it is just because of what you said, it's not constant power. It is 1/3rd the price, but if i was gonna invest in something like that for the performance of my car, i'd want the SC because it is there whenever you need it, and even when you don't. Nitrous seems like a lot more of a track type thing to me. I don't wanna deal with having to refill a bottle and such, just seems like a lot of trouble in the long run, verses the (i believe) rather easy to maintain SC that is always boosting you. Seems worth the extra money to me (personaly)

And i don't know, but i would THINK that nitrous would be more strenuous that a SC, but i really wouldn't know. Maybe someone who nows that stuff could shed some light on that.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:12 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Garkon
I would think that the reason more people dont use it is just because of what you said, it's not constant power. It is 1/3rd the price, but if i was gonna invest in something like that for the performance of my car, i'd want the SC because it is there whenever you need it, and even when you don't. Nitrous seems like a lot more of a track type thing to me. I don't wanna deal with having to refill a bottle and such, just seems like a lot of trouble in the long run, verses the (i believe) rather easy to maintain SC that is always boosting you. Seems worth the extra money to me (personaly)

And i don't know, but i would THINK that nitrous would be more strenuous that a SC, but i really wouldn't know. Maybe someone who nows that stuff could shed some light on that.
Some good points, no questions asked. And I definitely think the SC would be nice for constant power, but when shifting at 3K RPM's typically I just can't justify spending $6K on a SC.

But anyway, from what I have read the basic Zex dry kit with a 75 shot is extremely extremely reliable.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:17 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Because people fear it.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Sprayallday

it is all in how you set it up and who does it. i have a wet NX system on my other car and the it was pretty fast. In my integra ls with the spray i beat a 91 talon with a 20g turbo from a roll with the nitrous header high flow cat and exhaust. i personally think if you are going to do it go wet because the air and fuel mix at the sametime making ir more consistant then dry. when you use wet it is a true shot not like dry which is less then what you are actually spraying. I was told that from the people at Nitrous Express whih sell both kits. I am sprying my cl in the spring with my old et up i will pot numbers when i go to the track.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
I would have to agree with GArkon here. After a while, the cost of nitrous is going to catch up with you. The SC goes in and just works, you don't need to refill anything.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:37 PM
B A N N E D

But realistically how long do bottles last? Because everyone that I have talked to has never had issues with constantly refilling the bottle, I guess unless you're spraying like 5x a day. I'm not sure yet what's going on, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:46 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
I have considered spray with the TL-S but I can't make up my mind, I don't wanna blow it up lol.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:50 PM
Instructor

I think a 10lb bottle with a 75 shot will last you 15-18 quarter mile runs.

Originally Posted by M.J.H.
But realistically how long do bottles last? Because everyone that I have talked to has never had issues with constantly refilling the bottle, I guess unless you're spraying like 5x a day. I'm not sure yet what's going on, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:09 PM
slobalt defender

Received 349 Likes on 186 Posts
My friend has a 10lb bottle, it lasts him about 30 runs and it's a wet shot. Costs around 30 bucks to refill a 10lb too, not bad. Go for it.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Cocoa
Because people fear it.
That would be reason #1
The fact that power is only at WOT is another. If I was a track queen I'd be on the bottle.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Sprayallday

lol everyone talk about this like we are looking at running tens with either. spray is cheaper you figure a setup costs you about $700 with everything and the super charger runs you about 3-7 grand depending on what setup you go with. you could fill the bottle 126 times for that price at $50 bucks a pop. the fastest car on this forum runs a what? 12.2 and that is with alot of work done lol my buddies STI runs a 12.6 with a down pipe and a flash come on these are luxuary sport cars not rockets. Our cars are high end power you punch it hit v-tec you hit the nitrous and enjoy
Old 11-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
it has a bad rep, with the engine having evidence if something goes boom. Also, SC is power all over the rpm range, even if cruising, you can just stay in gear and muscle your way by.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've put a supercharger in a car and been in many turboed cars. It like have a bigger engine with out too much of a chance of blowing it up. Nitrous from what I understand really pushes the limits of the engine. Honda motors are not that durable to begin with. IE: they have thin walls and warp easily. IMO if I wanted more power all the time I would go FI over nitrous....

Originally Posted by M.J.H.
After searching quite a bit about nitrous here on Acurazine and seeing what kind of track results people are getting with a simple 75 dry shot with a basic Zex kit, why the hell aren't more people doing this?

Yes, nitrous is not constant power. Now for some you that maybe a huge problem but for someone like me who uses the car as a daily driver - I honestly don't shift over 3-4K RPM's unless I'm racing, etc. Anyway, with a 75 dry shot and intake/headers/exhaust it seems like you can get pretty close to the same track times being blown at 6-8 PSI with the Comptech SC.

Now given my CL-6 has 107K miles and needs a clutch and flywheel soon anyway, the Zex dry kit is about 1/3rd of the price installed compared to the SC.

I'm thinking about ordering the Zex dry kit from Excelerate along with whatever else I need? Cold plugs or something I was told I need, and apparently with a 75 dry shot no fuel management is needed?

And no I won't be using it at every light, probably 3-4x a week typically. And obviously after the engine is warmed up, probably off a roll, etc.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:05 PM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
the way i see it. track=nitrous, road cruising/street encounters=s/c...so decide what matters most to you. like would you keep the bottle open all the time? [not exactly sure how all the little details work] but s/c is always there for daily drives, and if you're only into the track, you can drive there normally, then open bottle when you line up...