Why is Acura so crooked about replacing ROTORS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is Acura so crooked about replacing ROTORS?

are they that cheap?

This is the last acura I buy, and if anyone I know wants to buy one, I'll let'em in on how Acura tried to be all slick with me, Charged me $400 to resurface my rotors, THEN

After I realize other dealerships did it FOR FREE UP TO 50K miles, I

HAD TO RAISE HELL TO A MIKE GOINGS AT POHANKA ACURA just to get my fucking money back.

Whats up with that?
Old 01-11-2002, 01:23 PM
Banned

Don't places like Autozone and Pepboys resurface your rotors for free if you buy your pads from them?
Old 01-11-2002, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by M5 Lite
Don't places like Autozone and Pepboys resurface your rotors for free if you buy your pads from them?
They certainly do, but let me tell you how pepboys, and autozone make money.

They replace the pads with their pads, that will eat the hell outta ANY rotors, which means you'll have to get new rotors again and again.

There was a TL in the shop right next to my Type S during my last oil chance. A mechanic told me who those places made money, and showed me how the pads were too harsh for the rotors.

NOW,

Who's more crooked, ACURA or PEPBOYS and AUTOZONE?

They wanna sell cars and yet they wanna keep customers coming back for more?

how can they do this if they don't even agree on the same fucking thing.?

Every dealership in the world seems to be different.

IF THIS were LEXUS OR BMW, 2 of ACURAS COMPETITORS they'd replace the rotors, and adhere to the same policies as other dealerships, because they know how to keep people coming back for more. ACURA obviously doesn't.

So Wayne, JENS, you guys are in my book, because I think you're the only 2 honest ones out there!
Old 01-11-2002, 02:34 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Damn they got you!

Sorry about the man! I wish I could had posted that rotor problem thing up earlier.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:43 PM
the name says it all

800???

well after i bought my cl form the dealership within a week the roters were gone.....so i took it back and they said that they would put new ones on for me for free!!!....so i said ok and when i went back to get it they told me that to buy new rotors it would have costed me around $800!!!....thats Krazy!!
Old 01-11-2002, 02:46 PM

24K miles on the car the rotors went out. This wasn't too long ago.

Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, VA told me that it WASN'T COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.

So I paid it, found out from other dealerships that it was covered, then ended up getting my fucking money back.

BY the way, MIKE GOINGS, some manager out there is a total ASSHOLE.

The guy is so spineless he wouldn't even come downstairs to face me. Good thing, I may have KICKED HIS ASS.

You just don't go around FUCKING with someones Money ACURA!
Old 01-11-2002, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Make sure to log your complaint Acura Customer service.
Old 01-11-2002, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by TypeSKid
IF THIS were LEXUS OR BMW, 2 of ACURAS COMPETITORS they'd replace the rotors, and adhere to the same policies as other dealerships, because they know how to keep people coming back for more.
Don't be so quick to assume this.

I value Global Imports BMW service departmnent highly, but they will try to stick you with resurfacing. I had warped rotors at on my E46 328i at 8k miles and they stated that it wasn't under warranty. After a little calm and reasonable discussion they agreed to replace them under warranty.

I just recently had the pads replaced now at 28k miles and all is great (pad replacement wasn't free though and not as steep as I thought it would be).
Old 01-11-2002, 04:05 PM
Grand Turismo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warranty?

So when does the warranty actually goto on rotors? I just had mine resurfaced at 9K, let me know.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

scalbert - i always thought that bmw replaces/repairs pads/rotors for free during the warranty period. a relative of mine got new pads/rotors on his m5 for free. according to the m5 forum, they all get free brake repairs while under warranty, even if it is considered wear and tear.

for everyones info: factory front rotors go for $66 each. front pads go for about $40. list price. if your a regurlar customer you might even be able to get them cheaper. not sure what that guy was talking about when he said $800 for new rotors
Old 01-11-2002, 10:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by mr tl
scalbert - i always thought that bmw replaces/repairs pads/rotors for free during the warranty period. a relative of mine got new pads/rotors on his m5 for free. according to the m5 forum, they all get free brake repairs while under warranty, even if it is considered wear and tear.
Not according to the manual, pads are not free. But when it comes to rotors there is certainly a grey area. Is it abuse or is it failure??

I don't want to belittle myself, but this E46 328i is not an M5. M5 owners may get preferential treatment...
Old 01-12-2002, 01:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by scalbert

Not according to the manual, pads are not free. But when it comes to rotors there is certainly a grey area. Is it abuse or is it failure??

I don't want to belittle myself, but this E46 328i is not an M5. M5 owners may get preferential treatment...
you might be right. maybe because its an m5 theyll replace certain parts at no cost. i assumed the pads were being replaced due to hard braking. im pretty sure theres no factory defect in them. it probably has a lot to do with the dealer too
Old 01-12-2002, 02:07 AM
Pro

My rotors warped @ 7.5k dealer turned them for free. Were majorly warped (jerking the wheel around durring light braking) by 12.5k dealer replace front rotors and pads for free. Using the newer heat disapating pas from the TL-S. It sounds like you need to find a new dealer to do your work for you.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:46 AM
www.drippinwet.com

Re: Why is Acura so crooked about replacing ROTORS?

are they that cheap?

This is the last acura I buy, and if anyone I know wants to buy one, I'll let'em in on how Acura tried to be all slick with me, Charged me $400 to resurface my rotors, THEN

HAD TO RAISE HELL TO A MIKE GOINGS AT POHANKA ACURA just to get my fucking money back.

Whats up with that?
you are directing your anger at Acura - why, direct it at the dealer, the policies and procedures are written policies if a dealer is not following them, let them know, but don't blame acura
Old 01-12-2002, 09:59 AM
Banned

They certainly do, but let me tell you how pepboys, and autozone make money.

They replace the pads with their pads, that will eat the hell outta ANY rotors, which means you'll have to get new rotors again and again.

There was a TL in the shop right next to my Type S during my last oil chance. A mechanic told me who those places made money, and showed me how the pads were too harsh for the rotors.

NOW,

Who's more crooked, ACURA or PEPBOYS and AUTOZONE?
Of course the Acura mechanic will tell you not to go to PepBoys and AutoZone when you can go to him and get assraped instead.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:02 AM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by Pull_T

Of course the Acura mechanic will tell you not to go to PepBoys and AutoZone when you can go to him and get assraped instead.
Wrong! - "lifetime" crap pads they sell are based on a harder composite material and do wear into the rotors, causing them to wear into or below min thickness

also they generate more noise when braking (squeaking grinding)
Old 01-12-2002, 11:11 AM
Banned

Originally posted by acura_service

Wrong! - "lifetime" crap pads they sell are based on a harder composite material and do wear into the rotors, causing them to wear into or below min thickness

also they generate more noise when braking (squeaking grinding)
How am I wrong that the Acura mechanic wants the customer's business over the other options?

I never stated the lifetime pads were good. They're not, like you said. You can get aappropriate pads at AutoZone (the non-lifetime variety) and they will turn your rotors for free when you do.

I never stated that overpaying the dealer to do non-warranty work isn't good choice for people who can't/won't do the work themselves, either.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:43 AM
Daaaamn Gina

Re: Why is Acura so crooked about replacing ROTORS?

are they that cheap?

Whats up with that?
wow, pohanka acura is always cool with me. they fix things that really shouldn't even be covered by warranty. do you remember who your service rep was? kyle is the only one i'll go to.
Old 01-12-2002, 01:00 PM
www.drippinwet.com

How am I wrong that the Acura mechanic wants the customer's business over the other options?

I never stated the lifetime pads were good. They're not, like you said. You can get aappropriate pads at AutoZone (the non-lifetime variety) and they will turn your rotors for free when you do.

I never stated that overpaying the dealer to do non-warranty work isn't good choice for people who can't/won't do the work themselves, either.
i think the word you said was "assraped" and all honda/acura products reccomend cutting rotors with the on car lathe
sure they might slap them on a lathe, and its free, but its not the correct way to do it
Old 01-12-2002, 01:49 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
criswell replaced mine at 28k for free. I just said that they felt warped and he said no problem he will change them out.
Old 01-12-2002, 02:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by acura_service

i think the word you said was "assraped" and all honda/acura products reccomend cutting rotors with the on car lathe
sure they might slap them on a lathe, and its free, but its not the correct way to do it
Exactly...no possible way anyone but a dealer mechanic could possibly turn a rotor
Old 01-12-2002, 05:16 PM

Exactly...no possible way anyone but a dealer mechanic could possibly turn a rotor

LOL!
hahahahahaha!

Old 01-12-2002, 05:49 PM
www.drippinwet.com

i didn't say that, i said they don't use an on car lathe, and if you bothered to look into why they only approve of that method, you wouldn't reply the way you did
Old 01-12-2002, 06:39 PM

It was a smart ass answer, and even though I laughed earlier, I don't condone it, nor am I laughing now.

Kudos to Acura Service for the Down Low.