Whooped an Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002 | 03:01 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Whooped an Explorer

I wasn't going to post this, but it's a slow day at work and it's kind of a funny story...

I'm on my way to the train station this morning, and I'm running a little late. I didn't want to chance missing the train I normally take and have to wait for the next one, so I wanted to get to the station sooner, rather than later.

So, I pull up to a light, and got in the right lane. No big deal... Next to me is a new Ford Explorer. All I wanted to do is get in front of the Explorer, as about 300 feet through the light it goes down to 1 lane, and the road does a nice tight S-curve. Fun to drive, let me tell you...

Normally, I don't try to beat people off the line for position, but again I was running a little late. However, I didn't give the driver of the Explorer any hints that I wanted to go. I didn't edge up, rev. my engine or anything. I was just planning on a nice, gentle acceleration off the line to get in front of it. I wasn't looking to race.

Ok, so the Explorer starts moving up, and moving up and MOVING up. The light was still red, and the SUV had moved one car length ahead of me (we're still waiting on the light). I guess the driver wanted to get going. Or he/she thought I wanted to get in front of him/her.

Light turns green, and I give it a nice gentle acceleration, but I quickly notice the Explorer is taking off. SHIT... SO I floor it, and zoom in front of the EXplorer.

Here's the funny part. Remember that S-curve I mentioned earlier??? Well, I zoom through it no problem (i love my car), but the driver of the SUV must have forgotten what they were driving. The driver tried to take the S-curve and couldn't do it. The Explorer sung out into the oncoming lane, and I mean SWUNG out... Almost all the way over to the opposite curb. It was too funny...

Hardly a kill, but a funny story none the less...

Peace.
Old 09-12-2002 | 03:17 PM
Burning Brakes

coulda been a kill story if the dummy got hit head on and died

assholes in suv's

Old 09-12-2002 | 09:06 PM
///M POWER

lol
Old 09-12-2002 | 11:58 PM
WHO'S NEXT!!

good stuff..lol
Old 09-13-2002 | 04:00 AM
Bent = #1

haha funny...my friend did the same thing as the explorer did...i was ahead of her and right after i go around this huge right turn i look in my rearview mirror and i see her car almost lose control as it goes around the turn...silly SUVs thinking that they can drive like our cars

CL'S
Old 09-13-2002 | 06:45 AM
Selling Chicken Parts

Silly SUV...curves are for cars...

yeah yeah yeah i tried dammit...funny story, good....um, kill, lol
Old 09-13-2002 | 08:03 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Re: Whooped an Explorer

Originally posted by Scrib
I wasn't going to post this, but it's a slow day at work and it's kind of a funny story...

I'm on my way to the train station this morning, and I'm running a little late. I didn't want to chance missing the train I normally take and have to wait for the next one, so I wanted to get to the station sooner, rather than later.

So, I pull up to a light, and got in the right lane. No big deal... Next to me is a new Ford Explorer. All I wanted to do is get in front of the Explorer, as about 300 feet through the light it goes down to 1 lane, and the road does a nice tight S-curve. Fun to drive, let me tell you...

Normally, I don't try to beat people off the line for position, but again I was running a little late. However, I didn't give the driver of the Explorer any hints that I wanted to go. I didn't edge up, rev. my engine or anything. I was just planning on a nice, gentle acceleration off the line to get in front of it. I wasn't looking to race.

Ok, so the Explorer starts moving up, and moving up and MOVING up. The light was still red, and the SUV had moved one car length ahead of me (we're still waiting on the light). I guess the driver wanted to get going. Or he/she thought I wanted to get in front of him/her.

Light turns green, and I give it a nice gentle acceleration, but I quickly notice the Explorer is taking off. SHIT... SO I floor it, and zoom in front of the EXplorer.

Here's the funny part. Remember that S-curve I mentioned earlier??? Well, I zoom through it no problem (i love my car), but the driver of the SUV must have forgotten what they were driving. The driver tried to take the S-curve and couldn't do it. The Explorer sung out into the oncoming lane, and I mean SWUNG out... Almost all the way over to the opposite curb. It was too funny...

Hardly a kill, but a funny story none the less...

Peace.
I kinda understand what the driver of the SUV was feeling tho. I bought a 02 Mountaineer V8 AWD for my girlfriend and that thing HAULS ASS. I purposely did my online research for one of the fastest family haulers. Motortrend clocked them at 7.5 0-60 and 15.4-5 1/4. I tell you what, when i get behind the wheel of that thing, I swear I want to drive it like the CLS. I want to take on everyone that has stats like that car or truck. I even burned a v6 honda accord coupe at the light the other day, when i was in a cut off lane and i wanted to get around this kid. Next light he was like "DAMN YOUR TRUCK IS FAST MAN, WHAT YOU GOT IN THERE" V8 hehe!:P So when some of these SUV drivers are driving like maniacs I can somehow relate to them A LITTLE. I have so many kill stories in that truck it aint funny. :P
Old 09-13-2002 | 10:01 AM
Instructor

haha V8 AWD?? how much hp?
Old 09-13-2002 | 10:27 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Originally posted by dpvistaz
haha V8 AWD?? how much hp?
4.6 liter V8
Horsepower (SAE net)
239 @ 4750 rpm
Torque (SAE net)
282 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm