Who said stock CL-S cannot get into the 14?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001 | 03:28 AM
Retired. Not available.

Who said stock CL-S cannot get into the 14?

This is for Shaka and other Max owners who are too ignorant to admit stock CL-S is capable of doing quarter mile in the 14s (even high 14). I said I would post the time slips to prove. Now that I found them, enjoy them and pay a little respect to the CL-S. Remind yourself that my CL-S is stock except for the wimpy home-made CAI from a guy who has never messed with engine before.
Old 08-30-2001 | 03:34 AM
Retired. Not available.

Oh yeah, look at the date on the slips. They said Jun 29. It's a summer day in Houston meaning it's crazy hot and RH is 100% ( about to rain).
Old 08-30-2001 | 04:20 AM
Race Director

Thank you for posting. Forget whoever says it can't because evrytime it is tested it is 14.8
And besides that you were running in hot humid weather. You loose about 5% of your power in that kind of weather. I have seen CL-S' with just AEM Intakes run 14.7 at 90 degrees 31% humidity.
I saw a guy in NY at 60 degrees with headers intake pulleys run 14.56
Old 08-30-2001 | 04:28 AM
Retired. Not available.

Originally posted by pgatour1:
<STRONG>Thank you for posting. Forget whoever says it can't because evrytime it is tested it is 14.8
And besides that you were running in hot humid weather. You loose about 5% of your power in that kind of weather. I have seen CL-S' with just AEM Intakes run 14.7 at 90 degrees 31% humidity.
I saw a guy in NY at 60 degrees with headers intake pulleys run 14.56</STRONG>
If I dont remember it wrong, that person would be the infamous Max owner "SHAKA"
Old 08-30-2001 | 12:41 PM
Lead Footed

Nice times on your CL-S.

Question, what did you do on each of the runs especially the second? I noticed your splits were off compared to the 1st and 3rd runs.

This next comment is a general comment for all who want to win on both the track and strip. So please don't take any offense by this. Just trying to offer up some advise and sometime it may come across wrong in writting.

Anyway, the point is that the faster car does not always win the race. It's the driver that gets from point A to point B before the other driver does. The reason for bring this up is your reaction times. I know, it's harder to get real good reaction times with a stock car, but there are ways to work on improving them. You should be able to knock 3-5 10ths of your end-to-end time. NOTE: I'm not talking about your actual measured time. That starts from the time you trip the lights at the start and then again at the finish. But in a race, if another driver's car is only 3-10ths slower than yours. And his reaction time is 5-10ths better than yours, he is going to cross the finish line ahead of you by 2-10ths.

Does this make sense? You have to trust me. I'm avid drag racer and raced for 8 years. I almost always qualified for the Quick 16 even though my car was not the fastest out there. One year I was the only guy with full interior, full exhaust, street radials, w/o NOS and not trailered. I was number 16, but went to the semis because I cut lights below .6 consistently. Usually in the .54 to .57 range.

Let me know if you even care about this. If you don't, please excuse me for butting in. If you do, let me know if you want to know some tips on improving that R/T.

Regards,
RUF
Old 08-30-2001 | 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by RUF87:
<STRONG>Nice times on your CL-S.

Question, what did you do on each of the runs especially the second? I noticed your splits were off compared to the 1st and 3rd runs.

This next comment is a general comment for all who want to win on both the track and strip. So please don't take any offense by this. Just trying to offer up some advise and sometime it may come across wrong in writting.

Anyway, the point is that the faster car does not always win the race. It's the driver that gets from point A to point B before the other driver does. The reason for bring this up is your reaction times. I know, it's harder to get real good reaction times with a stock car, but there are ways to work on improving them. You should be able to knock 3-5 10ths of your end-to-end time. NOTE: I'm not talking about your actual measured time. That starts from the time you trip the lights at the start and then again at the finish. But in a race, if another driver's car is only 3-10ths slower than yours. And his reaction time is 5-10ths better than yours, he is going to cross the finish line ahead of you by 2-10ths.

Does this make sense? You have to trust me. I'm avid drag racer and raced for 8 years. I almost always qualified for the Quick 16 even though my car was not the fastest out there. One year I was the only guy with full interior, full exhaust, street radials, w/o NOS and not trailered. I was number 16, but went to the semis because I cut lights below .6 consistently. Usually in the .54 to .57 range.

Let me know if you even care about this. If you don't, please excuse me for butting in. If you do, let me know if you want to know some tips on improving that R/T.

Regards,
RUF</STRONG>
Well, in defense of SilverKnight (and myself, since that is where I run), they do "instant green" for street night at HRP and it is really tough to cut a good light. When I am running, if I am not the first man fully staged, the dude flashes the green before I get my RPMs up to the desired level. For me, it's just easiser to ignore R/Ts and concentrate on the launch since you get no consistency in the pace of the light.
Old 08-30-2001 | 01:09 PM
Racer

<STRONG>Nice times on your CL-S.

Regards,
RUF</STRONG>
I'm up for some advice. Fire away...
Old 08-30-2001 | 01:10 PM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by Pull_T:
<STRONG>

Well, in defense of SilverKnight (and myself, since that is where I run), they do "instant green" for street night at HRP and it is really tough to cut a good light. When I am running, if I am not the first man fully staged, the dude flashes the green before I get my RPMs up to the desired level. For me, it's just easiser to ignore R/Ts and concentrate on the launch since you get no consistency in the pace of the light.</STRONG>
Didn't know that. That make this more "street like". However, there are still things you can do to improve your R/T under these conditions. It basically takes a lot of practice runs getting your routine down so it becomes second nature to you. Basically, work on being consistent with your launches and shifting, assuming you shift yourself that is. As Yoda might have said, "become one with the car". :p

Anyway, PLEASE note that this was in no way an attack on you guys. I'm just trying to offer some help.

Regards,
RUF
Old 08-30-2001 | 11:05 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by CLS16:
<STRONG>

I'm up for some advice. Fire away...</STRONG>
Find a way to cut your 60 ft time. 2.3 and 2.4 is WAY TOO HIGH! Bring it down to 1.9 or 2.0 or even 2.1 and your quarter will be drastically improved. Try playing around with air pressure in your front tires, power braking, going around the water instead of thru the water, etc.- you get the idea. Have fun and good luck!

Old 08-30-2001 | 11:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by WildWolf:
<STRONG>

Find a way to cut your 60 ft time. 2.3 and 2.4 is WAY TOO HIGH! Bring it down to 1.9 or 2.0 or even 2.1 and your quarter will be drastically improved. Try playing around with air pressure in your front tires, power braking, going around the water instead of thru the water, etc.- you get the idea. Have fun and good luck!

</STRONG>

He's a bit low on hp to cut 1.9s and 2.0s, but high 2.1s and 2.2s aren't out of the question. I will agree with the advice you gave about air pressure. If I were testing, I would start at about 27 and work my way down with an accurate guage measuring them at reasonably equal temperatures.

The rest of the "drag racers' bag o' tricks" applies as well:

- Put max psi in non drive (rear for CL) tires
- Take out spare, jack, other stuff floating around car/trunk
- Allow for adequate cool down
- Ice intake (usually best to bring ice, they tend to rape you on it at the track)
- Run with as little fuel as possible (8 lbs a gallon)
- Other various small stuff I do mostly as superstition as they can't help much: removing wipers, spoiler
- Shallow stage for best ETs/mphs
- DRIVE STRAIGHT (you'd be suprised how many people don't concentrate on this)
Old 08-31-2001 | 12:05 AM
Lead Footed

All good points.

I would add mental practice on the xmas tree lights. I would work on visualizing the lights changing in my head. You can also create mental games with all kinds of reaction situations. This helps slightly with the "instant green", but really helps on the full light countdowns.

You may also want to do some research on techniques to improve your reflexes. Reflexes are like any other part of your body. You have to train them.

Other than the tips for improving your cars times, such as the ones mentioned above. You really need to make your whole routine a habit. The approach, burnout if it makes sense for your tires, staging at the light, powerbrake at the same RPM, consistent shift points, etc.

It's like any thing you do. Work on all the basics and execute them consistently. I've seen a lot of guys eager to get up there and not be thinking about the race they want to run. Which brings up one of the hardest things to do. That is to ignor the guy next to you. He doesn't exist. It's just you, your car, the light, and the track.

Some of the things seem simple or insignificant, but every little thing adds up. And even .001 can mean a win or a lose.

As for the preping of your car goes. Be consistent with that as well. Check tire pressure, engine temperature and even take air temperature readings if you're really into it. This brings up another point. Learn how your car responds to launching and RPM shift points under various conditions. That way you know what to do when in those conditions.

You might ask, do I know all these things about my TLS? Well no, but I have figured out my shifting style, shift points and launching proceedure. I did know those other things when I used to race, but not anymore.

I would also suggest going to a drag race when there are serious racers there. Hang around the pits, watch their preparations, their staging. Ask some questions, but don't be overly intrusive. These guys are serious and sometimes they aren't in the mood.

I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch, but this and the other responses will help.

Good luck and practice, even if it's in your mind at a redlight.

RUF
Old 08-31-2001 | 03:16 PM
Retired. Not available.

OK, guys. That was my first time at the track. So the time was good in anyway I look at it .
FYI, I'm not one of those speed freaks. I just tested to see what the car is capable of. Therefore, my 60' time would remain the same since I dont see myself at the racetrack often.
I posted the slips to prove how ignorant some Max owners can be. Even a first timer can get the stock CL-S into the 14s, then a experienced driver could get in it lower into the 14s.
PS. Keep posting racing techniques, it would help those who go to the track often.

Peace.
Old 08-31-2001 | 03:36 PM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by SilverKnight:
<STRONG>OK, guys. That was my first time at the track. So the time was good in anyway I look at it .
FYI, I'm not one of those speed freaks. I just tested to see what the car is capable of. Therefore, my 60' time would remain the same since I dont see myself at the racetrack often.
I posted the slips to prove how ignorant some Max owners can be. Even a first timer can get the stock CL-S into the 14s, then a experienced driver could get in it lower into the 14s.
PS. Keep posting racing techniques, it would help those who go to the track often.

Peace.</STRONG>
Nice clarification on your intent.

BTW - as I pointed out in my first point, I congratulated you on your runs. The times you posted were good and proved your point. I also tried to clarify that my response was in no means an attack or criticism of your runs or skills.

My apologies if it came across as anything else.

Cheers,
RUF
Old 08-31-2001 | 03:50 PM
Retired. Not available.

<STRONG>

Nice clarification on your intent.

BTW - as I pointed out in my first point, I congratulated you on your runs. The times you posted were good and proved your point. I also tried to clarify that my response was in no means an attack or criticism of your runs or skills.

My apologies if it came across as anything else.

Cheers,
RUF</STRONG>
Nah ... you're cool. Keep it going. It maybe helpful for those who needs the info.
Old 08-31-2001 | 07:38 PM
Any Lady Want One??? :-P

Shaka has been BANNED and so will other Maxi owners that try a start stuff. Thats just word around the campfire
Old 09-01-2001 | 04:13 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Funny how Shaka doesn't respond to this post huh?
Old 09-01-2001 | 04:21 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Originally posted by Zapata:
<STRONG>Funny how Shaka doesn't respond to this post huh? </STRONG>
shaka was banned for talkin smack on another post.