Where can i get a new rear view mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where can i get a new rear view mirror?

I took my 01 CL to the dealer today to have some stuff done. SRS light is on and they are replacing the driver's seatbelt for free. Battery has a low charge so they are replacing for $130. Trany and brake fluid replacement...$70 and $100 respectively. My rear view mirror has stopped auto dimming and the dealer wants $175 for parts and labor. It is not covered under my extended warranty with Acura. I know I can replace it on my own. I just can't seem to find aplace that sells it. Can anyone help or provide a place where I can purchase it from? thanks.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i bought one off ebay for like $60 and installed it myself...works perfectly (btw, it's also the same mirror as the TL and MDX)
Old 01-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can that not be covered under the extended warranty?
Old 01-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Banned

Look it up in the TL forum.....*hint* *hint*
Old 01-18-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm here in spirit...

It's under warranty. (If it's bumper to bumber extended...)
Old 01-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Advanced

i had the extended warranty and they would not cover my rearview mirror. that crystal leaked out on to my console and they would not cover any of it. So, i paid 70 for that console bezel around the shifter and 103 for the mirror from acura.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by Mike01s
i had the extended warranty and they would not cover my rearview mirror. that crystal leaked out on to my console and they would not cover any of it. So, i paid 70 for that console bezel around the shifter and 103 for the mirror from acura.

This is a joke, right? Can someone please explain to me why Acura wouldn't cover this under the extended warranty? Please, besides the obvious typical Acura service dept excuse
Old 01-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not necessarily Extended Warranty but perhaps TSB...

I believe there is a notice out there somewhere that has the mirrors being covered as a "good will" from Acura as the fluid apparently leaks out of the mirror in warm climates. I know a LOT of people have had this done...

I'm trying to get mine covered under "good will" as the fluid does damage the center console where it drips if not picked up quickly so be careful if yours does. However, having 127k isn't helping me too much right now for it.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Terigan...

Mine broke from the ball joint in the back and they covered it no questions asked. The guy even said that if I am out of the warranty they would cover it as it was considered party of safety requirements in a car or something. Check with your dealer again or call Acura.

If you have a warranty, extended or not they need to cover it.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm here in spirit...

"Safety issue" is what I was thinking too.

Mine doesn't leak but it doesn't dim either. Gotta get my car in the shop for some parts that were on order soon, maybe I'll see if they'll goodwill the mirror while I'm there.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
I got mine replaced as a warranty item with the extended. But I think they told me it was a safety concern and you can see if they will hook you up.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Terigan...

Sounds like the dealer is just being shady... They will replace it if you call Acura Care or take it to a new dealer. I just called a guy at mine and he said it was a Safety Item and they need to replace it.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Banned

Since you guys dont get it...go do a search on the TL forum. You can get a free replacement.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:27 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by moomaster_99
Since you guys dont get it...go do a search on the TL forum. You can get a free replacement.

since moomaster_99 won't be so nice enough to just tell us, (since he obviouly knows )

I did the search and heres what I found...

Call Magna Donnelly (no I don't have the #, do a search - I can't do everything!) They are the ones that make the mirror. They will more than likely send you a brand new one for free in exchange for your old, broken one no questions asked.

You need the mirror type : The TL's have a "Camlock" type and I would assume our is the same but again, you might do a search first.

If it's the same, the part # is 011530. Otherwise carry on with your search.

Now, can anyone confirm that they are in fact the same? As I said, i would assume so.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2006, 11:36 PM
3-piece FTW

I got a free mirror from Magna Donnelly a year back, but that was before they requested you to send your old mirror. I have no idea how it works now.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm here in spirit...

Helpful and Non-Helpful Info I've Found

The Non-Helpful:

Well, as far as Magna Donnelly replacing them, forget about it. The guy I spoke with, "Heath" (nice guy), told me he was replacing them while he had them in supply. That being said, he no longer has the stock as Magna Donnelly has re-structured and they are no longer affiliated with the company who actually made the mirrors. That company was called Donnelly Mirrors, Ltd. and they are located in Ireland apparently. I tried to get a contact or some other sort of resolution info from Heath but he said he had no contact information to give me unfortunately.

So, as far as I'm concerned, the search will continue as I am now knee deep into this and I refuse to give up. Even if I have to call Ireland, Japan, Antarctica..... I just want to get to the bottom of this.

If someone knows anything more than this or has contact info, don't be shy, please post up, and don't post this "do a search bullshit". I think it's pretty obvious the "search" is on...

The Helpful:

The following comes from a previous post in another thread:

Originally Posted by BlackAcura01
The only hard part was removing the mirror from the windsheld. I think our factory mirror is a "cam" mount mirror. But I tried to remove it by twisting the mount 90 deg. and that did not work.

I took a flat head screw driver and pushed into the mirror base to try and move the clips out as far as possible while pushing the mirror down towards the floor. That seemed to jar it louse from the mounting button.

To disconnect it from power you have to remove the map lights/Sunglass holder. 2 screws are in the sunglass holder part and the other 2 are behind the map light cover, a small screw driver will remove the plastic covering the map lights. Just use the same small screw driver to disconect the blue connectors.

I had to replace the plastic parts that are around the select lever and that was even easer than it should have been. Let me know if you need any pictures as I will try to upload them tonight. Or else send me a pm with your e-mail and i will e-mail them to you to give you a good idea of what the parts look like.

Cheers!

I'll keep posting as I learn more about this...
Old 01-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chriskh
since moomaster_99 won't be so nice enough to just tell us, (since he obviouly knows )

I did the search and heres what I found...

Call Magna Donnelly (no I don't have the #, do a search - I can't do everything!) They are the ones that make the mirror. They will more than likely send you a brand new one for free in exchange for your old, broken one no questions asked.

You need the mirror type : The TL's have a "Camlock" type and I would assume our is the same but again, you might do a search first.

If it's the same, the part # is 011530. Otherwise carry on with your search.

Now, can anyone confirm that they are in fact the same? As I said, i would assume so.

Thanks!
Hahahha...Im lazy....but some people have to learn to use the search button too....
Old 01-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Banned

The Non-Helpful:

Well, as far as Magna Donnelly replacing them, forget about it. The guy I spoke with, "Heath" (nice guy), told me he was replacing them while he had them in supply. That being said, he no longer has the stock as Magna Donnelly has re-structured and they are no longer affiliated with the company who actually made the mirrors. That company was called Donnelly Mirrors, Ltd. and they are located in Ireland apparently. I tried to get a contact or some other sort of resolution info from Heath but he said he had no contact information to give me unfortunately.

So, as far as I'm concerned, the search will continue as I am now knee deep into this and I refuse to give up. Even if I have to call Ireland, Japan, Antarctica..... I just want to get to the bottom of this.

If someone knows anything more than this or has contact info, don't be shy, please post up, and don't post this "do a search bullshit". I think it's pretty obvious the "search" is on...

The Helpful:

The following comes from a previous post in another thread:

I'll keep posting as I learn more about this...
Damn...that sucks...I still have my replacement....Im too lazy/scared to take the old one off...
Old 01-20-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by moomaster_99
Damn...that sucks...I still have my replacement....Im too lazy/scared to take the old one off...
Wanna sell it to me???
Old 01-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Banned

Wanna sell it to me???
I would, but then I hate staring at that fluid in my current mirror....might just pay the dealer to replace it for me.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm here in spirit...

^^^ Hey, I can always give you my old one. The mirror didn't explode, it just stopped dimming. It hasn't worked since the middle of last year sometime. Otherwise, you'd never know there was something wrong with it in the day time.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Banned

^^^ Hey, I can always give you my old one. The mirror didn't explode, it just stopped dimming. It hasn't worked since the middle of last year sometime. Otherwise, you'd never know there was something wrong with it in the day time.
Sorry...but, did you email that other company yet?
Old 01-20-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Not yet. I have another window open here doing some hunting..... Between whoring up this place, working, reading emails, i'm finding it hard to get back to my search.

Maybe I need to quit my job and be the AZ search bitch! LOL

Think they'd pay me?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread .. my rearview mirror tint isn't working any longer BUT it hasn't leaked. What's the consensus on this?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:41 AM
3rd Gear

i have a parts car!!
Old 04-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
waht parts do you have "SPACEDOUT"?
Old 04-30-2006, 12:36 AM
Instructor

yes, please let us know...i'd be interested in some parts. my mirror exploded also, it totally messed up my shift gate. a new shift gate alone cost me like $70. i still havent replaced my mirror though...it has like a little bit of the liquid left inside and its in an oval shape. damn mirror...
Old 04-30-2006, 04:41 AM
05 Acura TL: a-spec

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by buiyahkah
yes, please let us know...i'd be interested in some parts. my mirror exploded also, it totally messed up my shift gate. a new shift gate alone cost me like $70. i still havent replaced my mirror though...it has like a little bit of the liquid left inside and its in an oval shape. damn mirror...
you should prob. yank that mirror out asap or put a towel under it... you dont want any to leak on your dash and have that shit eat your dash away! not to menion it prob. isnt a good idea for it to drip on you... have you tried calling up your dealer and asking them if they will replace it for free? most will... unless you go to a cheapass dealer