WHere can get the parking brake and foot brake leads.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WHere can get the parking brake and foot brake leads.....

to connect a dvd and nav system? can anyone help me out? thanks.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:35 AM
Racer X

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you installing a nav conversion kit?
If so, I would just connect the parking brake wire to the positive line. If you tap the parking brake line, you will have to have the parking brake active to use the nav conversion system. It is one of the systems design to keep you from using the system when the car is in motion. If you tap a live output, then you can use it whenever.
I tapped the foot brake from the taillight.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by webhead
Are you installing a nav conversion kit?
If so, I would just connect the parking brake wire to the positive line. If you tap the parking brake line, you will have to have the parking brake active to use the nav conversion system. It is one of the systems design to keep you from using the system when the car is in motion. If you tap a live output, then you can use it whenever.
I tapped the foot brake from the taillight.
i installed an alpine iva-d300 and an alpine navi system. i don't watch dvds in my car. but to change the eq settings on the iva-d300, i need to have the parking break on which is a pain in the ass cuz i would like to be able to change the eq settings while driving and listening to different kinds of music. there are two wires that come off the iva-d300, one goes to the brakes, the other the parking brake. so i am assuming it's the parking brake that prevents me from changing the eq settings while driving. what do you mean tap into a live output? can you give me an example? thanks.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Racer X

I installed a nav conversion unit to tap into the stock nav screen. So I'm not familiar with your exact setup; however, on my system there were 4 wires to the unit: a positive (power), a ground, a parking brake wire and a taillight wire. I bypassed the parking brake safety feature by connecting the positive (power) and the parking brake wire together to a live or power source. The system is looking for a positive signal from the parking brake wire (which is sent when the parking brake is actuated) to let you operate the unit. By connecting it to a constant live or positive source, you should be able to operate it all the time. That is how I connected the wires on my unit and its works exactly as intended. I can operate the unit at any time without having to actuate the parking brake.

Yours may be similar

Hope that helps
Old 02-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by webhead
I installed a nav conversion unit to tap into the stock nav screen. So I'm not familiar with your exact setup; however, on my system there were 4 wires to the unit: a positive (power), a ground, a parking brake wire and a taillight wire. I bypassed the parking brake safety feature by connecting the positive (power) and the parking brake wire together to a live or power source. The system is looking for a positive signal from the parking brake wire (which is sent when the parking brake is actuated) to let you operate the unit. By connecting it to a constant live or positive source, you should be able to operate it all the time. That is how I connected the wires on my unit and its works exactly as intended. I can operate the unit at any time without having to actuate the parking brake.

Yours may be similar

Hope that helps
yup, sounds the same set up except, i have to activate the parking brake twice for me to be able to access the eq. what live wire did you tap into? i guess any constant +12v (battery) will work right. i might be able to come up with some sort of switch to simulate me using the parking brake twice. thanks,
Old 02-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your car is a automatic you can run the yellow/blue and yellow/black off the alpine unit to your taillight and connect one of them to the brake light buld and the other to the reverse light bulb (the positives on both) then you won't have to use any switches, as soon asyou hit the brake and put car in drive and let go of the brake it will see the signals it needs to see and be in video mode every time you drive, if it doesn't work just reverse the wires and it will work. don't worry about burning anything out cause you won't the are only signal wires
Ps I have done this a hundres time, let me know if you have any questions
Old 02-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by withoutcomp1
If your car is a automatic you can run the yellow/blue and yellow/black off the alpine unit to your taillight and connect one of them to the brake light buld and the other to the reverse light bulb (the positives on both) then you won't have to use any switches, as soon asyou hit the brake and put car in drive and let go of the brake it will see the signals it needs to see and be in video mode every time you drive, if it doesn't work just reverse the wires and it will work. don't worry about burning anything out cause you won't the are only signal wires
Ps I have done this a hundres time, let me know if you have any questions
let me make sure i understand u correctly. i get the yellow/blue and connect to + of brake lamp. get the yellow/black connect that to + of revers lamp. if it doesn't work, reverse the connections. can i also connect the wire coming off the navi to the same wire, either the brake or reverse (most likely brake) for me to be able to change the destination without having to have the park brake on? thanks man!!!
Old 02-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Yep, Thats it.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Racer X

A quick question. . .
Does that mean that these systems only need to see a positive signal once to work? I thought that they need to see a constant positive - - they are only active as long as the parking brake is actuated. When the parking park is disengaged, the system stops letting you use it.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:29 AM
Audio/Video/Alarm Expert

SIMPLE ANSWER TO PEOPLE WITH IVAD300 ALPINE UNITS

You can buy a trigger module called a TR-7 Specifically designed to bypass that safety for Alpines, it will do your park brake, brake and park brake for you, every single time you start the car, so you can always use it.
I belive it is illegal though=) but thats how you do it.
I shouldn't say this, but we do that at our shop.

TR-7's are made by Peripheral and PAC