When making out of state purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
When making out of state purchase...

I have a few cars that i am interested in that are over 1000 miles from my home. If you are purchasing from a private person how do you guys handle the transaction...meaning..do you get the car checked out by a local dealer and have it shipped or do you just bring your mechanic with you... Someone was telling me that audi will certify a car(basically look the car over) for a small fee...I called my acura dealer and they dont do anything like that...does anyone have any knowledge on this subject?
Old 02-18-2004, 01:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just sold my CLS to someone on the other side of the country, and actually everything went very smooth. The best thing you can do up front is have open communication with the seller. Be sure all maintenance has been completed on time.

If some work needs to be done(on the scheduled maintenance side), ask the seller take it into the dealership and if possible for the dealership to print up a history of the service performed. In my situation, I had all service performed at one location only, so they easily did a print screen, which I sent to the buyer. I even gave him the name of the service manager I worked with for the past two years and he phoned in to receive an outside impression of the vehicle.

Obviously, be sure to get as many pictures from the seller, from all different angles, as possible.

As for a mechanic, obviously you can try to work something out with the seller to have the vehicle inspected. My scenario above is just one example. It really helps when you can preview all the service prior to purchasing the car.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:41 PM
Drifting

ya

thanks kgd---I wish I was looking earlier than I would have nabbed your car --- I could probably use a good transport service if anyone knows one...
Old 02-18-2004, 04:51 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If the car has a warranty on it, just get the vin number from the owner and run a carfax report on it.

Then go to the Acura dealership service department and tell them you want to see what warranty work has been done to the car. They can print any all warranty work that has ever done from any dealership. If the tranny has ever been replaced that is a red flag to say no to the car.

Have the owner send detailed picks of the car from all angles.

I live in Texas and I have bought one car from Cali and one from Florida! I am getting to be a pro at it.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by bl^5
If the tranny has ever been replaced that is a red flag to say no to the car.
Why do you say this? If that were the case most people here would never be able to sell their automatic cl's. I would rather see it replaced than not in these cars...
Old 02-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
for some reasons one replacement = more replacements to come. One with no replacement might suggest a strong tranny. Honestly, I wouldn't buy one unless it were a 6 speed. But, I tend to drive A LOT, so I need a car that will be dependable to atleast 200K.