Whats the Proper Way to Flush the Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 05:42 PM
TRELOS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the Proper Way to Flush the Coolant

I wanted to know if there are some tricks or hints when it comes to flushing and changing out the coolant.

Also I was wondering if there is a line that needs to be bled to release any traped air that may accumulate when changing the coolant?

Tnx

Juker008
Old 05-25-2003, 11:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a machine that does it. That would be the proper way of *flushing* the fluid. You can change it out with a T adaptor and a hose...

The flushing machines is 3 stages, and the system gets power flushed.

Air should work itself out through the filler box, if you remove the pressure cap, it will slowly work it's way out. Also be prepared to put the cap on soon after the engine heats up...
Old 05-26-2003, 12:18 AM
TRELOS

Hey Siggy, could u explain it alittle more?

I would like to do this myself because I have an inline filter hooked up to my hose, and also the hose is conected to a faucet that is using softened treated water. I would feel that if I were to take my car to someone else to have it flushed they would only add more contaminants that are in the water.

Now I can change it out with a T adaptor and a hose. Is the T adaptor just an adaptor that would allow me to hook up my hose to the radiator?

The machine that does the flushing does it in 3 stages, can u explain to me what those 3 stages are? When u say power flushed is it flushed like what a pressure washer would do or what a hose could put out.

Now if I were to do this myself are there any lines or anything else that need to be bled. Or do I just rely on the filler box to bleed the air out.

Tnx for the help.

Juker008
Old 05-26-2003, 12:47 AM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
I would think twice about using soft water. Distilled would be MUCH better.
Dan
Old 05-26-2003, 11:46 AM
TRELOS

I would use softened water that is also filtered through an inline filter. Prior to purchasing of the softener for the house I did alittle research and everyone said that softeners are like filters+softener all in one.

Yes I did think of using distilled water but how would I get the distilled water to flush through the cooling system with somewhat pressure? I did think of using a pressure washer but that would be alittle too extreem :p .

Tnx

Juker008
Old 05-26-2003, 11:12 PM
TRELOS

^BUMP^

Juker008
Old 05-27-2003, 10:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry I had a busy weekend.

The power flushing machines actually connect into the system, and flushes the fluids with the system under pressure. Where as your hose will not really clean any gunk you may have out as well as the machine would.

Yes, the T connector will simply to connect to your hose. It was usually connected to the heater core lines on older vehicles. You could probably find one that worked on a larger line. I'm sure someone created an adapter and or proper connector.

The machine really just allows you to not have to drive the car around, let it cool (repeat). Depening on if your going to use a coolant treatment.

The pressurized system used a treater, then a cleaner, then it put in new fluid. Depends on the machine. Some are only 2 steps.

However if your fluid isn't real nasty, I would think a fluid exchange (with hose) would be fine.

(sorry I have a spiltting headache this morning, need to find some advil. I'll come check this for spelling/grammar later)

Originally posted by Juker008
Hey Siggy, could u explain it alittle more?

I would like to do this myself because I have an inline filter hooked up to my hose, and also the hose is conected to a faucet that is using softened treated water. I would feel that if I were to take my car to someone else to have it flushed they would only add more contaminants that are in the water.

Now I can change it out with a T adaptor and a hose. Is the T adaptor just an adaptor that would allow me to hook up my hose to the radiator?

The machine that does the flushing does it in 3 stages, can u explain to me what those 3 stages are? When u say power flushed is it flushed like what a pressure washer would do or what a hose could put out.

Now if I were to do this myself are there any lines or anything else that need to be bled. Or do I just rely on the filler box to bleed the air out.

Tnx for the help.

Juker008