Old 07-19-2006, 12:55 AM
East Coast Boost.!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not good at all
Old 07-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TCM 01 CL-S
I don't know, those lines are very deceptive, if you look at everytime it will drive you crazy and even though I get pretty good gas mileage it does seem to move down a line everytime I go out, even down the street to my friends house.

YOU KNOW ive noticed that everytime i go out each line goes down I SO NOTICED THAT! but to me i dont think those lines are deceptive because one time i filled up as soon as it went to E and the light went on so only 13 gallons filled, then the last time i said well theres alot more inthere so after 14 gallons the car shut off, odd is it not? maybe i need a tune up? is a tune up easy to do yourself on this car?

OR IS MY THEORY POSSIBLE? that gas is evaporating or leaking if it was leaking id see spots but i dont, so its kinda of awkward. anyways please help out ya guys iono imma go bankrupt soon
Old 07-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Lines are very deceptive. 3/4 of the way down I'm usually around 80-110 miles, then it dips super fast to half way point, and usually sits for about a day and a half at 185-200 miles.

My theory, get your car tuned when you get a chance. Look over everything before and after. Hopefully the problem won't persist.

P.S. Gas should not evaporate in ANY gas tank. If gas was leaking you would smell it, even tiny amounts.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Instructor

OK biggest question, i have NO idea about anything in regards to tuning, im in chicago where do i go? how much does it cost? and what is the process?
Old 07-20-2006, 01:38 PM
GEB
Racer

I guess my 6-speed gets better then most... I average 28 mpg on Shell 91 octane. If I use the cheaper gas stations (Conco and the like), I get 25 mpg even running thier 91 octane. I also use a Shell MC which gives me a 5% rebate on every gas purchase ... making the Shell gas cheaper then the others! (man, I sound like a Shell investor).
Old 07-21-2006, 04:49 AM
2003 CL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i get about 200 or less when the light comes on... 93 octane.. all city driving.. there are tons of stop signs in my town and i drive like an asshole speeding up and down blocks
Old 07-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kings4987
i get about 200 or less when the light comes on... 93 octane.. all city driving.. there are tons of stop signs in my town and i drive like an asshole speeding up and down blocks
LMAO!!! Well, at least you're honest. I have seen my mileage much much worse when I've been doing a lot of hard accelerating. I could see being closer to 200 than 250 when the light comes on if I drove like that all the time.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CLSDefiant
OK guys
im using premium and 93 octane and all that stuff, i speed here and there but never really any rapid acceleration, but i do have AC on, but you know how many miles im getting to a tank? i mean till the gets down to E and the light goes on although i know that there are still like 4 gallons left in there but the light still goes on and i only get 200 MILES! 200! thats it! my eclipse gave me ATLEAST 300 to a TANK!with like 16 gallon capacity! whys the gas mileage so crappy?
I live in brooklyn, NY and for my 2001 acura cl auto i get about 190 to 200. I still think thats way to little.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jackooze
I live in brooklyn, NY and for my 2001 acura cl auto i get about 190 to 200. I still think thats way to little.
Unless you're just hammering it all the time or sitting with the car running, I can't see how it is that bad! Something must be wrong. I live in Houston and deal with a lot of stop and go traffic and hitting it to pass people. This last tank was about 260 when the light came on. I filled up with 14.4 gallons.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRILIGHT
Unless you're just hammering it all the time or sitting with the car running, I can't see how it is that bad! Something must be wrong. I live in Houston and deal with a lot of stop and go traffic and hitting it to pass people. This last tank was about 260 when the light came on. I filled up with 14.4 gallons.

guys i put lucas fuelcleaner in and i got better mileage, so i think i may need a tune up and after that some tuning for my car, but i have NO IDEA how to do it on this car isit hard to change the plugs?

and umm, i gunned it ALOToftimes with the lucas stuff in it and i still got ok mileage i went uptoi beleive 240 miles, is it safe to use that stuff everytime i fill a tank or not?

BUT seriously does anyone know how to do a tune up and know how i get my car tuned?

...stupid tranny
Old 07-22-2006, 10:41 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Allout
People say that having your windows down when driving on the highway causes more drag and wind resistance than fuel used running your air conditioner.
MythBusters tested that and if i remember correctly, A/C car ran longer than windows down car at 70 mph on a full tank
Old 07-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Type S Zero
MythBusters tested that and if i remember correctly, A/C car ran longer than windows down car at 70 mph on a full tank
I remember differently. Your talking about the one with the expeditions? I could be wrong also, but I remember the one with all the windows down going like 50 miles more than the one using a/c. One thing to mention, I believe they were running the a/c at 100% though.

"USING AIR CONDITIONING VS. OPENING THE WINDOWS

Air conditioning places more load on the engine, which can affect fuel economy. But some auto journalists say that opening the windows at highway speeds can affect fuel economy even more by disrupting the vehicle's aerodynamics. In our tests we found that neither makes enough of a difference in fuel economy to worry about. Using air conditioning while driving at 65 mph reduced gas mileage in both vehicles by about 1 mpg-it might make more of a difference if you drive faster. The effect of opening the windows at 65 mph was not even measurable. Because air conditioning can help keep you comfortable and alert and because most modern cars use it to keep windows defrosted, we suggest that the small trade-off in fuel economy for increased safety is worthwhile."

(http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...windows%20down)
Old 07-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Instructor

I seriously think both sides are wrong in not mentioning the aerodynamics of the vehicle in question! I guarantee my Stealth gets worse gas mileage with the windows down than with up with the AC on. The engine is so strong, the AC is hardly a strain. However, with the windows down, a LOT of air rushing over the car is channeled into the rear compartment. It's like driving with a parachute off the back! You can actually feel the difference. You can see a good example of the shape in this picture...

The air is routed through those side channels across the rear spoiler. With the windows down, it rushes into the car. I think aerodynamics really plays a huge part in this debate and is overlooked a lot.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:12 AM
10th Gear

A lot of what people notice about a drop in the "lines" may be attributed to driving a car after it's been sitting cold. I don't know if the rest of you notice this but I live in L.A. where it's usually pretty hot (especially around this time when inland hit as high as 121 degrees) so driving after a while, the car gets pretty warm. What I noticed is that after my car has cooled off, i.e. when I park it and don't drive it until the next morning, that the needle does indeed go down after you restart the car. To clarify, I check the needle just before I turn off the car and then check it again after I turn it on again and there's a difference in the fuel level(from what I can tell from the lines). After driving for a bit however, getting the car warmed up a bit, the needle goes back up to its previous position. I think this might have to do with the temperature as the gasoline expands with warmer temperatures which pushes up on the fuel tank buoy (or whatever you call it).