What is the point of buying 17" aftermarket rims?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001 | 02:47 PM
Racer

What is the point of buying 17" aftermarket rims?

Not to name any names, but I can't for the life of me understand why so many CL owners on this board replace their perfectly good Type-S rims for some so-so aftermarket rims of the SAME size. Not only are you dropping a lot of cash, but you are doing it w/o making the car look any better? Sorry if I sound mean, but 16 and 17" rims were the style in the early 90's. Especially size our cars are considerably bigger, 18"s should be the BARE minimum! Enough of this weight savings crap, if you want your car done right, you got to go BIG!! And, if you do it right, who cares about saving 4 pounds a rim when you got enough horsies under the hood to melt the rubber right off those fancy rims. I don't think I am alone in this...

------------------
CoMpTeCh HeAdErS
eIbAcH sPrInGs
Old 01-10-2001 | 02:59 PM
Banned

Did you ever stop to think that maybe some of the people who change to aftermarket 17 inch rims just want to change the style (not size) of their rims?

IMO, there difference between 17 and 18 inches is negligible. An aftermarket 17 inch wheel could easily look MUCH better than the stock CL-S rim.

BTW, I still have stock rims on both of my cars.

------------------
2 cars

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 01-10-2001).]
Old 01-10-2001 | 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Because I don't want to sacarfice the quality of the ride by going to a 235/40/18 tire. What's so hard to understand about that??

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
Best 0-60. 6.08 Gtech Pro (Preheaders)

My Car
Old 01-10-2001 | 03:31 PM
Intermediate

This thread was probably prompted by my post this morning I'm sure. In response though I have to ask, did you look at the pics I posted? To me they look awesome and I'm very happy to have saved some weight as well.

I originally wanted to go to 18" wheels/tires, however, a couple of things didn't sit too well with me. First, I didn't want to increase my chances of bending an 18" with a 40 aspect ratio tire. I would have liked to stay with a 45 ar tire, but those are hard to find in 18". Second, I didn't want to have any tire rubbing problems and found that many of the 18" wheels out there wouldn't fit right because of the high offset required.

It all comes down to personal preference and what compromises/sacrifices you are willing to make. For me, I didn't like the stock tire look/fit/style, so I went with the wheels that I though would compliment the car (both in looks and handling).

------------------
'01 Pimp Daddy Gold CL-S - Comptech Springs - 17" BBS RX Wheels
Coming Soon: Bridgestone RE730 tires, maybe Comptech Sways
My PimpinTypeS More pics of my PDG
Old 01-10-2001 | 03:33 PM
Advanced

I think it's all up to the owner. Some want a smooth ride, some want 18's. It's their car, let them do what they want to it. Compliment instead of hate.
Old 01-10-2001 | 03:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

becuase the stock wheels are way too easily scratched!!!

That's all the reason I need. I'll be getting new rims eventually and there's no way in hell I'll be going to 18s. It's all a matter of preference. I think cars with huge rims look ridiculous. 17's are more than big enough.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Old 01-10-2001 | 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SJ Silver Type-S:
Not to name any names, but I can't for the life of me understand why so many CL owners on this board replace their perfectly good Type-S rims for some so-so aftermarket rims of the SAME size. Not only are you dropping a lot of cash, but you are doing it w/o making the car look any better? Sorry if I sound mean, but 16 and 17" rims were the style in the early 90's. Especially size our cars are considerably bigger, 18"s should be the BARE minimum! Enough of this weight savings crap, if you want your car done right, you got to go BIG!! And, if you do it right, who cares about saving 4 pounds a rim when you got enough horsies under the hood to melt the rubber right off those fancy rims. I don't think I am alone in this...</font>

Looks like you're alone so far

When I upgrade, I will be getting 17" aftermarket rims. Why? Well, for 1 thing, I commute 60-65 miles a day and I don't want to sacrifice ride quality and tire wear. Personally, I really don't care about weight etc. I just want new rims so my car looks different then the other CL or CL-S' out there. I'm probably going to keep the stock tires on there too. As far as it being the style in the early 90's...my car is a '98 and it came with 16's. It's not until recently that a lot of cars are coming with 17's. Like I said, I ride on 16's now, so when I upgrade, I'm already getting a bigger rim/tire, no way in hell I'm going up to 18's.....

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Re-Registered, back down to newbie status =(
Old 01-10-2001 | 03:54 PM
foolio at heart

I personally went with 18" wheels because I like the way they look. I like the way they fill the fender gap. There are definitely sacrifices though. You definitely notice the harsher ride with a lower profile tire. Some people don't want to deal with that along with the chance of bending a rim (which i've already done, thanks to a pothole). Some people want to change the style of rim only, not the size. There are a couple of cl's with 17's that I like, the borbets and bbs rims look pretty clean. The ones that I don't like would look bad no matter what size they are.

Bottom line, every one has their own taste and opinion. At least nobody is putting 14's on their cars.

[This message has been edited by blxmjx (edited 01-10-2001).]
Old 01-10-2001 | 03:54 PM
Racer

Sigh....I guess theres no hope.

Ride quality? Have any of you ever own 40 series tires? You can hardly tell the difference, and that difference is significantly less than ride quality you lose by buying aftermarket springs, shocks, etc! So what are you doing buying them?

Pimpin-yes, after you reading your post I wrote this, and I do like your car with those rims. Honestly those are the best 17" rims I have seen on our car to date, but I still think they look much better as 18" on the white CL on the comptech website, and would look even better in 19" form.

And junior bean, I was referring to aftermarket upgrades, not factory rims.

------------------
CoMpTeCh HeAdErS
eIbAcH sPrInGs
Old 01-10-2001 | 03:58 PM
foolio at heart

Sj Silver, what rims do you have on your car?
Old 01-10-2001 | 04:09 PM
Racer

well, I have the stock ones, and have decided not to get aftermarket ones since my lease is up in 2 and a half years. However, if I would have purchase my car, I would have gotten 19" Racing Hart C2s.

------------------
CoMpTeCh HeAdErS
eIbAcH sPrInGs
Old 01-10-2001 | 04:14 PM
Drifting

I think you need to read more on this board before you ask a question like that.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 01-10-2001 | 04:28 PM
foolio at heart

quoted from webtoker:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
I think you need to read more on this board before you ask a question like that.</font>
who? me?

Old 01-10-2001 | 04:28 PM
Racer

webtoker - phooeey. I have been here since I bought my car in August.

I guess what i am realizing is that it is a California thing, because the only person that has responded so far that thinks along the same lines is Blmjx and he is from Ca. I didnt realize how many people I would piss off by starting this topic, but I guess it is true, Californians do have better style. I mean, we started the entire Import scene years ago, we have the best looking women, best looking cars...I guess I just need to be patient cuz you guys will know where I am coming from in like 2 years. Give it time.

------------------
CoMpTeCh HeAdErS
eIbAcH sPrInGs

[This message has been edited by SJ Silver Type-S (edited 01-10-2001).]
Old 01-10-2001 | 04:30 PM
Drifting

I guess what i am realizing is that it is a California thing, because the only person that has responded so far that thinks along the same lines is Blmjx and he is from Ca. I didnt realize how many people I would piss off by starting this topic, but I guess it is true, Californians do have better style. I mean, we started the entire Import scene years ago, we have the best looking women, best looking cars...I guess I just need to be patient cuz you guys will no where I am coming from in like 2 years. Give it time.

</font>
I am from San Jose and I think it really depends on what you want. I know that i don't want rims that are going to hurt preformance. I also don't want anything rubbing since my car is lowered. It has nothing to do with Cali.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-10-2001 | 04:31 PM
Instructor

I agree b/c I honestly think that the stock CL-s rims look damn good, the only upgrade I would do is if they had an 18" wheel that looked tha ame as the stock rim.

------------------
2001 CL Type S
San Marino Red/Parchment
Spoiler, wind deflector,Wheel locks, Non Nav
No mods yet
Old 01-10-2001 | 04:32 PM
Racer

I guess what i am realizing is that it is a California thing, because the only person that has responded so far that thinks along the same lines is Blmjx and he is from Ca.</font>
Does anyone else agree that warm weather does strange things to people.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red / Parchment
non-nav - wheel locks - splash guards
Old 01-10-2001 | 04:32 PM
Drifting

I guess what i am realizing is that it is a California thing, because the only person that has responded so far that thinks along the same lines is Blmjx and he is from Ca. I didnt realize how many people I would piss off by starting this topic, but I guess it is true, Californians do have better style. I mean, we started the entire Import scene years ago, we have the best looking women, best looking cars...I guess I just need to be patient cuz you guys will no where I am coming from in like 2 years. Give it time.

</font>

Ok I just read your post again. Thats one good laugh for the day.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-10-2001 | 04:37 PM
magnet

i agree with sj silver why would get 17's aftermarket rims....i mean they look so small i have 18's and to me they look small thats why im getting 19's

------------------
2001 cl type s,custom voltage blue paint job, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims, greddy evo exhaust, cross drilled rotors, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation2, iceman cold air intake(custom) slammed on nex suspension
Old 01-10-2001 | 04:42 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:

Ok I just read your post again. Thats one good laugh for the day.

</font>
I was pretty funny, huh. Seriously though, all the car companys are slowly following what car enthusiasts are doing to their own cars now: more and more power, bigger rims, fatter exhaust, wilder bodykits, etc. As the trend is heading, more car makers will be introducing their cars with factory 18 and 19 inch rims, people will be much more accepting of them, and 20 and 21" rims will become the enthusiasts size of choice.

------------------
CoMpTeCh HeAdErS
eIbAcH sPrInGs
Old 01-10-2001 | 04:45 PM
Drifting

Don't get me wrong, big rims look phat. If I was driving a cadi or some type of pimp ride I may be more concerned with looks. At this point I am leaning towards performance.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-10-2001 | 04:49 PM
foolio at heart

quoted from sj silver:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">As the trend is heading, more car makers will be introducing their cars with factory 18 and 19 inch rims, people will be much more accepting of them, and 20 and 21" rims will become the enthusiasts size of choice.</font>
Your tellin me. I caught a lot of flak from my friends for gettin' 18's instead of 19's. At which point I had to put them in their places by reminding them whose car it was in the first place.
Old 01-10-2001 | 05:23 PM
Racer

I think people take things to extremes if you ask me. If you want to put huge rims on your car go ahead. But if someone likes 17" rims then why would you question it? Everyone has there own preferences, so I don't understand this line of thinking. So what if 17" rims come standard on the CL-S. Maybe someone is replacing their rims because they are scratched or because they don't like the stock rims. There is no mandate that that have to always get a larger rim when they go aftermarket.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red / Parchment
non-nav - wheel locks - splash guards
Old 01-10-2001 | 05:36 PM
Racer

you beotch ya gotsta throw some 20" blades on that ride to be pimp! hellz yeah mofo!

------------------
Black/Parch '01 CL-S no-navi, Spoiler, Visor (currently removed for winter), 35% tint, locks, PIAA19170
Old 01-10-2001 | 05:43 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by P-Man:
you beotch ya gotsta throw some 20" blades on that ride to be pimp! hellz yeah mofo!

</font>
LOL!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Old 01-10-2001 | 08:33 PM
Instructor

Not to name any names, but I can't for the life of me understand why so many CL owners on this board replace their perfectly good Type-S rims for some so-so aftermarket rims of the SAME size. Not only are you dropping a lot of cash, but you are doing it w/o making the car look any better? Sorry if I sound mean, but 16 and 17" rims were the style in the early 90's. Especially size our cars are considerably bigger, 18"s should be the BARE minimum! Enough of this weight savings crap, if you want your car done right, you got to go BIG!! And, if you do it right, who cares about saving 4 pounds a rim when you got enough horsies under the hood to melt the rubber right off those fancy rims. I don't think I am alone in this...
</font>
Thats is exactly what i'm saying!!! i totally agree! I think my 19s weigh the same as the type S rims if not lighter.
Old 01-10-2001 | 09:39 PM
Bagged hybrid

SJ - It all depends on what people want. If you want the pimpin' ride, get the 18s or 19s, but you might rub or you have to roll your fender. Yesterday, I saw this Caddi with 20 inchers on PZeros. IMHO, spending that much money on rims making your car look better, but also harsher, slower, worse gas mileage (more tire on the ground means more friction), and higher risk of getting your rims/car stolen is not worth it.

BTW - The harshness of a 40 series tire is also determined by the width of the tire (205/45/16s will be harsher than 245/45/16) and the brand...some brands use harder rubber and in result, you feel more bumps. My friend's accord has 18" RH D6000 Evos on 40 series tires and it rides much harsher than his stock 16s.

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type-S Satin Silver/Ebony
Debadged, PIAA Roadlamps, M-11 Turn signals, Comptech Headers, Comptech Springs, custom intake
Old 01-10-2001 | 09:46 PM
Pro

Hm let me say this that you can get rid of a lot of wheight going to aftermarket and if you want to keep your 0-60 stay with the 17's because upping it 18's even if they are the same weight as the 17's (or somewhat lighter) they will have more rotational inertia and it will take more power to over come thus a slower 0-60 and since that tire diameter stays the same so does the top end speed so in other words unless you get some light ass wheels the 1 inche of tire will be lighter than the wheel wheight difference between the 17's and 18's but hell I'm still looing around in about 22k or so when my tires wear out I might go with different rims I like to stock ones but I don't want to have to replace them every other week
Old 01-10-2001 | 10:02 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by blxmjx:
I personally went with 18" wheels because I like the way they look. I like the way they fill the fender gap. There are definitely sacrifices though. You definitely notice the harsher ride with a lower profile tire. Some people don't want to deal with that along with the chance of bending a rim (which i've already done, thanks to a pothole). Some people want to change the style of rim only, not the size. There are a couple of cl's with 17's that I like, the borbets and bbs rims look pretty clean. The ones that I don't like would look bad no matter what size they are.

Bottom line, every one has their own taste and opinion. At least nobody is putting 14's on their cars.

</font>
Hey blxjmx can you post a pic of your cl-s with 18" rims? Sounds SWEEEET.

------------------
Old 01-10-2001 | 10:07 PM
Burning Brakes

SJ … what kind of car are you driving? Notice from your (gawd how uNiQueZ is the caps on and caps off treatment) sig that you have Eibachs? Which ones may I ask?
Sport or Pro? Have you tried a bigger and thus probably necessary lower profile tire with your springs? When you do, please inform as to how much the ride quality has changed in terms of firmness because having the stock size allows one to use higher profile rubber to keep some of that ride softness after upgrading the suspension. It DOES make a difference.

Yeah if I didn't own and had to lease then I might feel the same because then I'd probably have to return the car with the stock rollers back on. Then I'd have to find a car to match my now carless rims. Racing Harts C2's! Oh yeah. Me too. Why would you get them as you say? Not for the price I'm sure. Weight? Hmm. What about buying a WIDER 17" rim? Is that nonsensical also? 17x7.5 or 8? Does that count?

You are in kali so yup your probably not needing to wash your car in a carwash like some of us with real climates. Its cold by me and when it was 31°F I washed mine myself outside. I was wondering why on my white paint I kept noticing a red jellylike color being smeared on as I was sponging quickly! Great Caesars Ghost I was bleeding from cutting my self on the "S" on the trunk! And why? Because as already mentioned, those FOCKING STUPID STOCK RIMS will scratch on an automatic carwash. But really I do it because here in and around NYC the women are gorgeous, cultured, sexy maneaters that'll fire you up faster than any supercharger will. You can see them here on the east coast where the real import car scene now reigns!

------------------
01 CL Type-S, White/Black/Navi/Comptech Springs+Sways/Burl Shifter/Guards
Old 01-10-2001 | 10:08 PM
Racer

I guess what i am realizing is that it is a California thing, because the only person that has responded so far that thinks along the same lines is Blmjx and he is from Ca. I didnt realize how many people I would piss off by starting this topic, but I guess it is true, Californians do have better style. I mean, we started the entire Import scene years ago, we have the best looking women, best looking cars...I guess I just need to be patient cuz you guys will know where I am coming from in like 2 years. Give it time.

</font>

This is so Pollitically INCORRECT!! best woman, best cars, etc.. Myabe in YOUR head.
I know one thing you guys don't have, and that's good hip-hop. We OWN the hip-hop scene ova here on the east coast.
I am not saying that WERE better then you, etc.. But try to be a little bit more open when you make comments like that. Women, cars are beautiful EVERYWHERE you go.

Whatever, I am not gonna get into this tonight

------------------
Old 01-10-2001 | 10:11 PM
Racer

quoted from sj silver:
Your tellin me. I caught a lot of flak from my friends for gettin' 18's instead of 19's. At which point I had to put them in their places by reminding them whose car it was in the first place.
</font>
Not to mention that the cost of 19" tires are WAYYYY expensive!!!!!

------------------
Old 01-10-2001 | 10:35 PM
Racer

Well, I didn't like the look of the factory rims with the gold...........that made it PRACTICAL to sell mine and buy the same size replacements. I like the tires for everyday use and after spending nearly 30 large, I'm going to get my use out of them. Personally I could give a sh** about what's "in" with wheel sizes. 40's ride hard and rims bend easily. Other than that, 18's look good. Some cars today have wheels that are totally too big and look to "TRON like" on a car......IMHO. But then, I grew up when 10" rims were on Mini Coopers!!

------------------
CL-S Sundance Gold, TR Typhoon Wheels, Solaris 9005, guards, nose mask, V-1 & remote.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...493&p=31386570
Old 01-10-2001 | 11:08 PM
Racer

Ok AL and Jayru let me address your attacks:

First of all Jayru, please dont misquote like you did in your last post, blxmjx obviously wrote that by how you replied to his post.

AL - I drive a type-s w/ the pro-kit, and I dont see any reason to go out and buy a new set of tires on my stock rims anyway since the michelins work great for me. However, I did own an Integra on which I had both 16" and 17" rims, both with 40 series tires. While I did pop a tire, I never once bent a rim.
The rest of your post is somewhat garbled so ill let you explain yourself before I respond. Import scene on the east coast, ha, that is where rice rockets got a bad name with all that crap they sell in the NOPI catalog; some people will buy anything (shopping-cart wing).

Jayru - Don't take me 100% serious on that post, I explained myself a bit in a later post. Also, you can have your Hip-Hop, I am pretty much a Rock kinda guy, although if I ever feel the need to listen to hip-hop, Im sure the same stuff plays on my radio as it does on yours.

------------------
CoMpTeCh HeAdErS
eIbAcH sPrInGs
Old 01-11-2001 | 12:39 AM
Instructor

this is a stupid question but what the hell is IMHO?
Old 01-11-2001 | 12:43 AM
Intermediate

Ok AL and Jayru let me address your attacks:

First of all Jayru, please dont misquote like you did in your last post, blxmjx obviously wrote that by how you replied to his post.

AL - I drive a type-s w/ the pro-kit, and I dont see any reason to go out and buy a new set of tires on my stock rims anyway since the michelins work great for me. However, I did own an Integra on which I had both 16" and 17" rims, both with 40 series tires. While I did pop a tire, I never once bent a rim.
The rest of your post is somewhat garbled so ill let you explain yourself before I respond. Import scene on the east coast, ha, that is where rice rockets got a bad name with all that crap they sell in the NOPI catalog; some people will buy anything (shopping-cart wing).

Jayru - Don't take me 100% serious on that post, I explained myself a bit in a later post. Also, you can have your Hip-Hop, I am pretty much a Rock kinda guy, although if I ever feel the need to listen to hip-hop, Im sure the same stuff plays on my radio as it does on yours.

</font>
Now this is getting a little off-topic, but I just had to reply. SJ, don't take this as an attack, but rather as a tongue-in-cheek reply...

That's great that Cali takes credit for the import scene and all, but if I was a Californian I wouldn't want to take credit for that. Honestly, I could do without those little punk ricer boys (please don't be offended at the ricer comment either, I'm half Japanese for cryin' out loud, I have a right) in their ridiculous looking body kit clad Honda Civics.

And as for the best looking women, well that's up for debate also since you can't tell which women in California are "stock" and which are "aftermarket modified". That and they all have an attitude and are just after your stock options. IMHO, the best looking women are in Texas. The bonus to TX women is that they're extremely friendly with no attitudes and generally remain "Original Equipment".

------------------
Old 01-11-2001 | 12:44 AM
Team Owner

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

------------------
&gt;&gt;&gt; 400+ posts on h/a.net &lt;&lt;&lt; &gt;&gt;&gt; 550+ posts “freak” on the “old” acura-cl.com &lt;&lt;&lt;

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 01-11-2001 | 01:02 AM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

One reason to buy aftermarket rims which are still seventeen inches, is to get wider rims for wider and better max tires.

Wouldn't 7.5" or 8" wide rims would be better for 235/45-17s? Yes?
Old 01-11-2001 | 01:32 AM
foolio at heart

quoted from jayru:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Hey blxjmx can you post a pic of your cl-s with 18" rims? Sounds SWEEEET.</font>
There's a pic of my ride in the following thread.

http://www.acura-cl.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000276.html
Old 01-11-2001 | 03:32 AM
Intermediate

quoted from jayru:
There's a pic of my ride in the following thread.

http://www.acura-cl.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000276.html
</font>
blxmjx, your car is SWEEET. The 18s look great, I've never argued that. Astroboy's CL-S looks sweet also with 18s. I just really had a hard time with the concerns I posted earlier. Yours and Astro's have that auto show concept car look.

------------------

Quick Reply: What is the point of buying 17" aftermarket rims?