What is the nicest FWD car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 06:41 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by Shawn S
Tires, buddy….TIRES !!!
Yeah, exactly what a RWD car needs to not "suck in the snow".

Granted, FWD with dedicated snow tires would be better (in most cases) than RWD with dedicated snow tires. But RWD with snow tires is very capable in snow.

About 8 years ago, we had a REALLY snowy winter in New York, and I drove a RWD Toyota Celica with snow tires all winter though deep snow and NEVER got stuck or stranded.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Maximized
I don't know if you noticed, but I live in the North. Comparing a Cougar to a modern RWD is useless. With the advent of TCS systems and Stability control RWD is now easier to drive for inexperienced drivers. Also, many of the RWD cars out are PERFORMANCE CARS which have summer tires, hence that is why they suck in snow. Get a set of winter tires or all-seasons and you will be fine.

Yes, stability control helps...winter tires help...but it's just adding technology to a RWD car won't make it as safe as FWD in the winter. It's about the phyics of Pull vs Push (Like Chod said) and it's about path control. You will always have more control in snow when the drive tires are also the stearing tires.

As for slowing down in the snow, it's a no brainer. If you think that slowing down causes accidents then I dont know what to tell you. Increased speeds with less traction=longer braking distances=less chance to avoid an accident.

That was an off-the-cuff comment...if you drive to slow all the time you're gonna get rearended by those who drive to fast for the conditions.

BTW...I couldnt comprehend what you were trying to say in your first sentence. If you lose traction on your drive wheels in a FWD car, you also lose your steering. If you lose traction on the drive wheels of a RWD car, you still have the ability to steer.

I just couldn't quite follow your logic here and tried to give a counter point.
Ok, if you lose control of your front tires in a FWD car...you loose control of your steering. This is true. However, lighten up on the throttle (or use traction control) and you have a good chance of regaining control of steering. And because you have the control to use both the stability control and the accelerator it's easier take back your traction and control your turn. I know, I've done this many times.
Now, if you lose control of your front tires in a RWD car, all you can do is slow down and hope your front tires catch before you plow into a snowbank. That's what I mean by "path control".
Like I said, all of those who are defending RWD keep saying "put on snow tires, use sandbags, use stability control...then you're fine." That's making excuses. You have to add all those things to make RWD almost as safe as FWD is. Add those things to FWD and FWD is even better.

I'm thinking the thread got started becaus someone wants a FWD car...so why did we get on the subject of RWD anyway?

Ok...sorry about the long rant...I'm done now.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by AcuraFan

I just couldn't quite follow your logic here and tried to give a counter point.
Ok, if you lose control of your front tires in a FWD car...you loose control of your steering. This is true. However, lighten up on the throttle (or use traction control) and you have a good chance of regaining control of steering. And because you have the control to use both the stability control and the accelerator it's easier take back your traction and control your turn. I know, I've done this many times.
Now, if you lose control of your front tires in a RWD car, all you can do is slow down and hope your front tires catch before you plow into a snowbank. That's what I mean by "path control".
See your logic is very flawed.....I am not talking about total loss of traction like where you said "if you lose control of the front tire in a rwd car....". In that situation, neither AWD, FWD, or RWD will help much. I was trying to point out that you still have steering control in a RWD car if you lose traction on the drive wheels(REAR). In a FWD car, if you lose traction you lose steering obviously.

RWD is making a comeback because of traction control, which makes it liveable in snow. Car makers are using RWD more and more because FWD is not good for handling.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:14 AM
Banned

I would have to put the TL and CL at the top of the coupe/sedan 4 door fwd list.