what kind of engine treatment does everyone use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 05:11 PM
Powered By HONDA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what kind of engine treatment does everyone use?

just wondering
Old 11-05-2001, 05:32 PM
Banned

None. They are a rippoff IMO. Studies show they don't do squat.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Scorpius
None. They are a rippoff IMO. Studies show they don't do squat.
Ditto.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: what kind of engine treatment does everyone use?

Originally posted by Type S
just wondering
hey mayn. you still on icq or should i delete you from my list?
Old 11-05-2001, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

NONE! ZIP/ZERO/NIL/NIX

BTW -- the latest seems to be that zMax with "LinkIte" -- what a crock (colored mineral oil)

A few links of interest:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.htm
http://autorepair.about.com/library/.../aa042801a.htm
http://www.clickondetroit.com/det/mo...03-160707.html

http://skepdic.com/slick50.html

http://amsoilrs.hypermart.net/sectio.../add_main.html

Just a few of many links…
Old 11-05-2001, 05:55 PM
Silver Bullet

I heard on one thread that some people used prolong and they did see a difference. I guess Pro-Long might be good. I personally haven't used anything yet. My car only has 5000 miles on it.
Old 11-05-2001, 06:08 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

well. Our cars won't need it for a while. At like 100k miles or more you'll probably want to de-carb the engine but that isn't for a while.
Old 11-05-2001, 06:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by madmax-cl
I heard on one thread that some people used prolong and they did see a difference. I guess Pro-Long might be good. I personally haven't used anything yet. My car only has 5000 miles on it.
Perhaps you would like to check this link (and text) out (in regards to Prolong:

http://www.channel2000.com/news/cons...24-233436.html

"
11/24 - Engine-Oil Additives
Consumer Reports duplicated the test seen in the informercial for engine-oil additive Prolong to see if the product really does offer extra protection.

The commercial said it added Prolong to the engine's oil supply, then drained the oil and ran the car with no oil plugs or filers. The product makers say they ran the car for four hours with no oil without damaging the car. The informercial does have small-print disclaimer saying, "Never run your car without oil or water."

At Consumer Reports, testers duplicated the informercial test using two former taxi cabs with rebuilt GM V6 engines. After breaking them in and changing their oil, they added Prolong to one car, and drove them both more than 100 miles. They then drained the oil and removed the filers, just like the informercial.

Next, testers drove the cars around a test track to see what would happen.

"We drove the cars around the test track at speeds between 20 and 30 miles per hour," Consumer Reports tester Marc McEntee said. "We were able to go for 13 minutes, 5 miles, until both cars died within about 100 yards of one another."

Testers later took the engines apart. The damage to both cars, including the one with Prolong, was extensive.

Consumer Reports says save your money by not buying the oil additive, and keep your eye on your oil gauge. "

AND how about the FTC charging Prolong with fraud and they settle:

http://www.arentfox.com/alert10-06-1999.pdf

D. Prolong Super Lubricants, Inc.
Prolong Super Lubricants, Inc., marketer of one of the largest selling motor oil additives sold in the U. S., has agreed to settle FTC charges that the firm made unsubstantiated claims for its
automobile motor oil additive,
Prolong Engine Treatment Concentrate (“ETC”). The complaint detailing the charges alleges that Prolong made unsubstantiated claims that compared to motor oil alone, Prolong ETC “reduces engine wear at start-up and extends the duration of engine life.” The complaint also alleges that Prolong made unsubstantiated claims that
ETC “reduces corrosion in engines and protects against engine breakdowns.” The complaint further alleges Prolong made unsubstantiated claims that benefits that may be achieved by using Prolong ETC in race cars or under racing conditions can be achieved in ordinary automobiles in conventional use and testimonials and endorsements of consumers made in advertising reflected the typical or ordinary experience of members of the public who use Prolong. The Prolong settlement would require scientific substantiation for a broad range of claims relating to Prolong ETC, or any other product sold for use in an automobile, relating to engine-wear reduction, engine-life extension, corrosion reduction, protection against engine breakdown, or racing benefits being achievable in ordinary driving. The settlement would also require substantiation for claims made for any product marketed by Prolong Super Lubricants, relating to
the product’s performance, benefits, efficacy, attributes or use.

Here is the original complaint (by the FTC) against them:

http://www.ftc.gov/os/1999/9911/prolongcmp.htm
Old 11-05-2001, 06:38 PM
Intermediate

So.... I guess you'd think that Slick 50 sucks ass as well.
Old 11-05-2001, 06:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by REDLINER
So.... I guess you'd think that Slick 50 sucks ass as well.
Well, if the FTC is going for them and wining...

QUAKER STATE SUBSIDIARIES SETTLE FTC CHARGES AGAINST SLICK 50

Agreement Safeguards $10 Million in Redress to Consumers

Three subsidiaries of Quaker State Corp. have agreed to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that ads for Quaker State's Slick 50 Engine Treatment were false and unsubstantiated. Under the terms of the settlement, the companies will be barred from making certain claims and required to have substantiation for claims about the performance, benefits, efficacy or attributes of their engine lubricant products. In addition, the settlement will preserve the Commission's option to seek consumer redress if class action suits currently being litigated against Quaker State and its subsidiaries result in less than $10 million in consumer redress.

link: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1997/9707/slick.htm

So, if you are asking if I have "warm fuzzy feeling" for companies that LIE to US -- Yes, I think they suck
Old 11-05-2001, 07:19 PM
Retired Post Whore

In my opinion you should change your oils on a regular maintenance interval. ALways change your oil at 3K.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Infamuz
In my opinion you should change your oils on a regular maintenance interval. ALways change your oil at 3K.
And this is related to the original post how???

Oil additives are not needed. Honestly, we all check our oil often enough to ensure that there is enough. And who doesn't, well...those are the people who would use this type of product, so they don't have to deal with the "hassle" of regular maintenance.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:27 PM
Retired Post Whore

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vince
[B]

And this is related to the original post how???

Listen you tart, I'm saying that dont use oil additives and just your oil on a regular basis.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Infamuz
Listen you tart, I'm saying that dont use oil additives and just your oil on a regular basis.
Translation: you are trying to post whore in Car Talk. Where in your original post do the words "oil additives" appear?
Old 11-05-2001, 07:43 PM
Retired Post Whore

Originally posted by vince

Translation: you are trying to post whore in Car Talk. Where in your original post do the words "oil additives" appear?
Dude you have problems man, what does this have to do with post whoring? Damn son.