What if your car gets totaled out by insurance..

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002 | 06:15 PM
Senior Moderator

What if your car gets totaled out by insurance..

Now say your car is totaled and they take it to the junk yard... now do you have the rights to strip the car as much as you want?

Say you got rear ended and the car is now totaled, can you take out stuff like the headers, HIDs, CAI, navi, and whatever you wanted? I never knew how that worked.
Old 04-28-2002 | 06:16 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

Good Question...??? I don't know
Old 04-28-2002 | 06:18 PM
Safety Car

I think if you take things off then they will charge you for that part??
Old 04-28-2002 | 06:18 PM
Team Owner

No, because the insurance company owns it and is entitled to anything of value still on the car.
Sometimes people “buy” some of the parts back for a reduced price if they're willing to deal with you.

Shawn S
Old 04-28-2002 | 06:21 PM
Burn some dust here

Mine I never saw after they towed it away. So I dont know, plus I didnt have anything on mine anyways.
Old 04-28-2002 | 06:22 PM
Slice and dice

Even if your car is totaled, it's still your car. You can do whatever you want to it. I slid out my '88 Civic in the rain and accumulated enough damage that it wasn't woth fixing. Now, on an '88 Civic, there aren't that many "quality" parts to take out, but I could have removed the seats or the radio or the steel wheels if I had really wanted. The worst thing is that I subsequently had to pay the junk yard to take it.

I'm not sure if it's urban legend or not, but supposedly you have to be very careful in handling the paperwork regarding having a junkyard take your car. My dad kept telling me horror stories of how junkyards fix your car up and sell it to some guy who subsequently gets in an accident and somehow, the car is still in your name so your insurance pays. Yeah, seems kinda fishy. Anyways, seeing as I left some of the engine 100 feet behind me, I doubt anybody took the time to fix that up. The short of it is that, as with any business transaction, make sure the paperwork is sorted out right.
Old 04-28-2002 | 06:35 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by rouxeny
Even if your car is totaled, it's still your car.
If you’re uninsured or don’t have collision coverage…YES.

But after you get the payoff check from the insurance company, it isn’t your car anymore.

Shawn S
Old 04-28-2002 | 06:45 PM
Slice and dice

Yes, that is true. If money has changed hands, the car isn't yours. I'm talking about if you have the car sitting in the tow yard for a while before insurance sees it.
Old 04-28-2002 | 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by rouxeny
Yes, that is true. If money has changed hands, the car isn't yours. I'm talking about if you have the car sitting in the tow yard for a while before insurance sees it.
well wouldnt that kinda kill the point of it? I mean wouldnt insurance say somthing after they they noticed your headlights are gone when you were only rear ended?
Old 04-28-2002 | 08:41 PM
Where is my super sauce?

About 10 years ago I had my Subaru RX totalled out by insurance after I was broadsided by this ditzy bimbo...

I took the car to the Subaru shop, they towed it to the State Farm lot. I was allowed to visit it before it went to the graveyard. I went looking for my Alpine stereo system - it was stolen from the State Farm lot.

I haggled the price of that system for about a month and they finally paid me out for that in addition to the car loss. I was pissed that (obviously) State Farm's own peoples likely stole my stuff.
Old 04-28-2002 | 09:08 PM
Honkey

If you have aftermarket enhancements like rims, stereo, etc. you can take that out of the car, and you'll be reimbursed the value of a stock vehicle. But, if you leave all that stuff in there, the insurance company will usually give you full value of the vehile, along with all your mods. In my opinion, it's better to just leave it all in and buy new stuff.
Old 04-28-2002 | 09:53 PM