What I did on my summer vacation

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 02:24 AM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I did on my summer vacation

I almost wrecked my CLS.

It started slowly on my recent trip from Philly to Dallas. The windshield got a stone chip in Tennessee that developed into a 12" long crack by the time I got to Dallas. An Acura dealer there quoted me $720. for an installed replacement. I put it off untill I got to Lubbock where a Safelite dealer did the job for $235.

We then went to Galveston and Shreveport, LA to watch the Canes beat the LA Tech Bulldogs.

On the way home, on I-20 in LA we met up with a "road gator", otherwise known as a big chunk of truck tire debris. The car in front rolled over it and kinda tossed in the air while shimming around his lane. I slowed and moved to the right to avoid it but it still smacked the left corner of my bumper and then flipped onto the side of my door. There was a burning smell and I thought the tire blew. Pulling over, I discovered the inner fender liner rubbing against the tire (causing smell) and the front bumper split top to bottom just below the headlight with portions dragging on the ground. The fender was untouched but the door was dented in 2 places.

So here I was, about 1000 miles from home in an undriveable condition. My wife suggested the universal fixer: duct tape. I was fresh out but did have zip ties (electrical wire ties). After easily poking holes in the bumper with my key chain mounted tiny Swiss army knife, I used the zips to "sew" the bumper together to get to the next exit. I had to lie on the ground to install some zips underneath and, at this time, the local fire ants decided to introduce themselves in an intimate way. I looked like a wild man beating them off on the side of the road. I decided to just get to the next exit.

There we found a truck stop that was fresh out of more zips but they gave me the left overs from a previously open pack. these were sufficient to complete the roadside stiching on the remainder of the bumper and the fender liner. We ran into a local cop who said that the Interstate was beyond his jurisdiction but the State Police would be uninterested in encounters with debris. I called my insurance company.

We continued home at highway speeds with no further adventures. It all held together until yesterday when the body shop finally began repairs. I should have it back by week's end. It's cost me the $500. deductible on my insurance although the total job was less than $1300.

I have now become very conscious about "road gators". I did notice that Louisiana had a disproportionate number of them, although they occur everywhere. Perhaps they are more prone in hotter climates and higher highway speeds, or in areas with lax truck inspections.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
That sucks dude! I know the feeling. I hit a "road gator" in another car & it took my headlights out, I was 1200 miles away from home. I had to drive only in the daytime till I got home.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:00 AM
Team Owner

Sorry to hear about your mishap Tony.
Hopefully they get the car back together correctly for you.

You must be really clocking off the miles now with all these long trips. What are you up to now?
Catch you at the next meet.

Shawn S
Old 09-16-2003, 02:19 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

I'm at 35K miles.

One more day in a Chevy Metro.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:22 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

I had to spend an extra day with the Metro but I finally picked up my CLS from the body shop today. WOW! It looks like the day I bought it. The repairs are excellent. The front bumper (being new) has no dings, dents, or embedded bugs.

See all y'all at Neshaminy Interplex this weekend.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those gators suck. I hit one a couple of weeks ago on my way to work. When I got there I noticed black marks all over the corner of my bumper. I was pissed the whole rest of the day. Luckily I had just put a couple coats of Zaino on so the marks came off with some scrubbing when I got home.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:01 PM
GTP

That sucks man...best of luck to you in the future...
Old 09-18-2003, 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you said road gator, i thought you were talking about real road gators - they have em in Florida, you know

I hit a thrown tire (asshat aka friend in front of me hit it, and didn't warn me over his radio - long story - and I hit it), nothing happened. Guess i got lucky.