What do you guys think of these rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 12:25 PM
I need a Hybrid CL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you guys think of these rotors?

I was looking to upgrade my rotors and I saw these rotors on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33564

They are brembo but looks like this company bought them plain and cross drilled/slotted them at their own shop. You guys think there are any draw backs to buying these rotors?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:38 PM
"You my boi blue!"

usually brakes that are cross drilled and vented after the rotor itself was manufactured isnt the best idea from what i read. They say if the vents or holes are like that from the oringinal casting then the rotors are weakened. I think the issue is the rotors craking under extreme heat and pressure. Not sure if that is basically you racing the car all day or if it will be ok to drive around the city doing normal breaking. Maybe someone else will chime in. Usually cross drilled and slotted rotors that are made that way from the factory are pretty expensive.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:28 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by zoltanh

They are brembo but looks like this company bought them plain and cross drilled/slotted them at their own shop. You guys think there are any draw backs to buying these rotors?

Hey, I was looking at those too!! So I emailed a couple of people who had bought them. Here is a response that I got : "Waste of money if you want me to be frank with you. The rotors are just for looks. I can't count how many times I almost rear ended somebody. My car doesn't stop as fast as it should be. I'm thinking of putting my original rotors back. I will give another couple of months and see if it will improve. Don't buy the rotors. Use the money on something else."

So I would advise against it. What sportsbrakescom does, is take OE replacement Brembo rotors(not slotted or drilled), then they cross drill and slot them. These rotors are not meant to be drilled and slotted! Alot of engineering goes into rotor design, icluding material properties and slot and hole design. I doubt sportsbrakescom has any engineering background, they are most likely just a machine shop.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:30 PM
Instructor

You are correct, these are Brembo blanks that some put on a machine and drilled and slotted them. Brembo does not currently offer a cross drilled OR slotted rotor for the 2nd gen CL's. They have assigned part numbers but have not produced them yet.

I stated OR because:

BREMBO DOES NOT OFFER CROSS DRILLED AND SLOTTED ROTORS.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BARhondaF1
Hey, I was looking at those too!! So I emailed a couple of people who had bought them. Here is a response that I got : "Waste of money if you want me to be frank with you. The rotors are just for looks. I can't count how many times I almost rear ended somebody. My car doesn't stop as fast as it should be. I'm thinking of putting my original rotors back. I will give another couple of months and see if it will improve. Don't buy the rotors. Use the money on something else."

So I would advise against it. What sportsbrakescom does, is take OE replacement Brembo rotors(not slotted or drilled), then they cross drill and slot them. These rotors are not meant to be drilled and slotted! Alot of engineering goes into rotor design, icluding material properties and slot and hole design. I doubt sportsbrakescom has any engineering background, they are most likely just a machine shop.
Exactly right
Old 03-31-2005, 09:39 PM
Instructor

You have PM
Old 04-01-2005, 08:00 AM
I need a Hybrid CL-S

Originally Posted by BARhondaF1

Good thing you looked into that. I wonder how many accidents that has caused. Defiantly not getting those.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please help support the site and buy from our vendors.. There's a excellent deal on Rotoras right now in the Group Buy Section:

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/rotora-slotted-rotors-acura-cl-01-03-tl-99-03-a-301570/
Old 04-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesi
Please help support the site and buy from our vendors.. There's a excellent deal on Rotoras right now in the Group Buy Section:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301570

thanks for pointing that out jonesi.

exactly what i was waiting for.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by umcp
thanks for pointing that out jonesi.

exactly what i was waiting for.

No problem...