Weird Shudder when taking hard corner..Help..

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 02:40 AM
Stealth Bomber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Shudder when taking hard corner..Help..

Well I was making a hard left turn today on purpose and the tail starting coming out a little. But when VSA kicked in the whole car shuddered as if something got wedged in the wheel or something. It was a really scary feeling, I thought I broke something..

Is this supposed to happen or is something in my suspension broken. I really don't think it is right.

------------------
2001 Black CL-S
Spoiler
Trunk Mat
Compustar Alarm/Remote Start
20 % Tints all the way around
Polarg M6s
Old 06-13-2001, 07:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BLK CLS:
Well I was making a hard left turn today on purpose and the tail starting coming out a little. But when VSA kicked in the whole car shuddered as if something got wedged in the wheel or something. It was a really scary feeling, I thought I broke something..

Is this supposed to happen or is something in my suspension broken. I really don't think it is right.

</font>

Are you sure you didn't hit a rock or something else in the turn. The VSA will go beyond just hitting the brakes and retarding the timing, it will close down the throttle and make it feel like someone tossed you forward in the seat belt.

I was up in one of the canyons in Malibu with hairpin turns and debris in the road. When I hit a 2- to 3-inch rock (with the front wheel), my car really shuddered when they VSA pulled the power back. In the HELMS manual they don't do the best job of showing the "complete" VSA throttle control assembly, but it does manage to shut down air flow to the engine.

If fact, Acura Care told me that the VSA can shut down power to such an extent, that drivers with steep icy driveways back east, had to turn the VSA off to get up the driveway.

If you hit some crumbly stuff WITH the VSA on, it will come on and sometimes it is smooth, and other times it is quite abrubt.

Try the same situation without the VSA on. If that doesn't help, or there is more to this, maybe you should have the dealer take a look.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 06-13-2001, 08:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:

If fact, Acura Care told me that the VSA can shut down power to such an extent, that drivers with steep icy driveways back east, had to turn the VSA off to get up the driveway.

</font>
My VSA worked fine all winter... no problems with ice or snow.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Polarg M-6 lamps, K&N filter #33-2178,
Comptech Headers, Sways, mufflers
Planning: SSR 17X7.5 GT1 Wheels, Brembo Brakes.
Old 06-13-2001, 09:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tel1sps:
My VSA worked fine all winter... no problems with ice or snow.
[/B]</font>

Did you drive up a long icy driveway. The Acura guy said they got numerous reports of people trying to get up steep and icy driveways with no luck with VSA on.

THEY (not I) suggested to the owners of these cars, to turn the VSA off, to be able to get up their driveway. True story, I called them after the rock slide, slippery hairpin incident.

The guy was suprised when I asked him the question about people back east!

So, you do or don't have a really steep driveway, that was loaded with ice on one side, the other side, or both sides (not clear on these details). But I will tell you OTHERS did have problems.

Your have the magic VSA

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (50 lbs less than stock)
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 12 coats of Zaino magic
  • [i] Stainless Brake lines coming (Brembos?)
  • [i] V1 planned
Old 06-13-2001, 09:19 AM
'Cooter

i posted this issue a while back...i live halfway up a 30 degree hill, and this winter, there was a time i had to try 3 times to get into my driveway, and that's including a 100 foot headstart to get enough momentum. and yes, i had to turn my VSA off b/c the other 2 unsuccessful times i stood still on the hill from the VSA going on and off. i wasn't feeling very safe in my car that day unfortunately

------------------
Copyright 2001 ScooterKin Enterprises:

'01 CL Type-S: Red on Black

- PIAA 19224 road lamps
- mudguards
- moonroof visor
- fenderwell trim
- spoiler
- wheel locks
- the OLD cup holder
- ...last, but not least, the Xephyr CAI
Old 06-13-2001, 11:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:

Did you drive up a long icy driveway. The Acura guy said they got numerous reports of people trying to get up steep and icy driveways with no luck with VSA on.

THEY (not I) suggested to the owners of these cars, to turn the VSA off, to be able to get up their driveway. True story, I called them after the rock slide, slippery hairpin incident.

The guy was suprised when I asked him the question about people back east!

So, you do or don't have a really steep driveway, that was loaded with ice on one side, the other side, or both sides (not clear on these details). But I will tell you OTHERS did have problems.

Your have the magic VSA

</font>
I don't have a steep drive way, but I work in North Jersey with all kinds of hills. Never had a problem.....
From a dead stop trying to get up a steep hill with ice would be tuff for any car or 4x4.
Yeah I got the magic VSA... (should I add to sig file?)

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Polarg M-6 lamps, K&N filter #33-2178,
Comptech Headers, Sways, mufflers
Planning: SSR 17X7.5 GT1 Wheels, Brembo Brakes.