WARRANTY VOIDED!! need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 10:06 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WARRANTY VOIDED!! need advice!

hey guys i really could use all the help & expertise u guys have on this matter...

so, i took my car in for its 15k mi. service yesterday. i always take it to my service guy who i think is really cool b/c he gets all my stuff done quick & right. i happened to tell him to "check on the tranny" b/c i've noticed harder shifting & slipping once or twice. i get a call later that day from him saying they checked it out & were going to replace my solenoids & flush the tranny fluid & see where it goes from there. i give them the ok...

today, i get a call in the afternoon. he says there was still a problem & he was going to get me a new tranny. at this point i'm loving life. i'm thinking this couldn't get any easier compared to all the other horror stories i've heard from others here. anyways, a few hours later, i get a call back from him saying he couldn't do anything for me b/c the service manager inspected the car & noticed i was spraying nitrous...

i asked to speak w/ this manager. the guy comes on the phone & says i can't replace your transmission & i've "reported you to Acura & voided your powertrain warranty".

i think it's fucked up this guy had the nerve to simply report me w/out even speaking to me about it. i wasn't even demanding or hassling him for a new transmission. i simply went in for a scheduled service & this is what i get? what business did he even have in my trunk? you can't see any of the lines running under the hood.

so, i called acura's customer service # & spoke to a guy who specifically told me that it was ok to add aftermarket parts to my car & that warranty could only be voided if an aftermarket part directly caused the damage to any part of the car. he wrote a report... they're supposed to call w/in 72 hrs.

so, how can they void my warranty w/out any proof?

HOW WOULD YOU GUYS HANDLE THIS? I'M GOING IN TOMORROW MORNING!
ALL OPINIONS ARE WELCOME. THANKS GUYS...
Old 05-09-2002, 10:08 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 644 Likes on 285 Posts
you have NOS in your sig...
if you had NOS in your car, at all, and they saw evidence that you did, you're fucked...and it's your own fault...and I can't beleive you don't understand why...
Old 05-09-2002, 10:11 PM
Instructor

i think your fubar'd

that was a dumb idea leaving your nitrous in the trunk.

good luck though
Old 05-09-2002, 10:14 PM
Drifting

Re: WARRANTY VOIDED!! need advice!

Originally posted by DG-T-S
hey guys i really could use all the help & expertise u guys have on this matter...

so, i took my car in for its 15k mi. service yesterday. i always take it to my service guy who i think is really cool b/c he gets all my stuff done quick & right. i happened to tell him to "check on the tranny" b/c i've noticed harder shifting & slipping once or twice. i get a call later that day from him saying they checked it out & were going to replace my solenoids & flush the tranny fluid & see where it goes from there. i give them the ok...

today, i get a call in the afternoon. he says there was still a problem & he was going to get me a new tranny. at this point i'm loving life. i'm thinking this couldn't get any easier compared to all the other horror stories i've heard from others here. anyways, a few hours later, i get a call back from him saying he couldn't do anything for me b/c the service manager inspected the car & noticed i was spraying nitrous...

i asked to speak w/ this manager. the guy comes on the phone & says i can't replace your transmission & i've "reported you to Acura & voided your powertrain warranty".

i think it's fucked up this guy had the nerve to simply report me w/out even speaking to me about it. i wasn't even demanding or hassling him for a new transmission. i simply went in for a scheduled service & this is what i get? what business did he even have in my trunk? you can't see any of the lines running under the hood.

so, i called acura's customer service # & spoke to a guy who specifically told me that it was ok to add aftermarket parts to my car & that warranty could only be voided if an aftermarket part directly caused the damage to any part of the car. he wrote a report... they're supposed to call w/in 72 hrs.

so, how can they void my warranty w/out any proof?

HOW WOULD YOU GUYS HANDLE THIS? I'M GOING IN TOMORROW MORNING!
ALL OPINIONS ARE WELCOME. THANKS GUYS...
I feel for you man but your should have known better. If you were going to spray, at least wait until the warranty was up!
Old 05-09-2002, 10:31 PM
hater

Originally posted by Astroboy
you have NOS in your sig...
if you had NOS in your car, at all, and they saw evidence that you did, you're fucked...and it's your own fault...and I can't beleive you don't understand why...
I can't believe it either.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:33 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

That sucks man...

I hope they care of you, but w/ the NOS in there, it's gonna be tough...
Old 05-09-2002, 10:40 PM
Z
Racer

i hope that things work out for you...
just tell them of all the cases where there was no NOS used and yet still the same result of messed up trans.

any 1/4 mlie slips w/ nos would be nice
Old 05-09-2002, 10:45 PM
The Quite One

Just go in the the service manager and say "Show me the proof that my NOS caused the tranny to have problems!" They can not void your warranty unless they can prove your aftermarket parts caused the problem!!!

This Information can be found under the FAQ'S button

The dealer can/may give you grief when you try to get warranty work done if they see mods done.
However, the dealer must prove that the modification caused the problem that you are trying to fix under warranty.

The Magnusson-Moss Act protects the consumer from having our warranty work voided by stating: (paraphrase) A manufacturer can not revoke warranty unless they can prove that the failure was directly caused by Non-OEM modification. Additionally, specifically referencing air filters, Warranty's can not be voided by air/oil filters by the manufacturer unless they provide them at no cost.

Some dealers have said that modified parts by Comptech will not void the warranty.
This is because Comptech works closely with Honda Racing.

Check out the FAQ's button they have a link that has more information!

I hope that this helps with your problem!!

Matthew
Old 05-09-2002, 10:51 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by mattrush78
Just go in the the service manager and say "Show me the proof that my NOS caused the tranny to have problems!" They can not void your warranty unless they can prove your aftermarket parts caused the problem!!!

This Information can be found under the FAQ'S button

The dealer can/may give you grief when you try to get warranty work done if they see mods done.
However, the dealer must prove that the modification caused the problem that you are trying to fix under warranty.

The Magnusson-Moss Act protects the consumer from having our warranty work voided by stating: (paraphrase) A manufacturer can not revoke warranty unless they can prove that the failure was directly caused by Non-OEM modification. Additionally, specifically referencing air filters, Warranty's can not be voided by air/oil filters by the manufacturer unless they provide them at no cost.

Some dealers have said that modified parts by Comptech will not void the warranty.
This is because Comptech works closely with Honda Racing.

Check out the FAQ's button they have a link that has more information!

I hope that this helps with your problem!!

Matthew

Good point, you may even want to print up a bunch of bad tranny posts as well. Show them you know this is a problem.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:56 PM
Just call me DADDY!!!

Print out the ACT and show it to the Service Manager. Then ask him to prove the NOS caused the problem. In addition, would bring a tape recorder or some kind of proof afterwards i.e. documentation of the problem and Service Manager proof.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:57 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd point and laugh but I'm not that mean
Old 05-09-2002, 11:10 PM
The Quite One

Here are some good link to read about your problem!!

This is the link I was talking about in an earlier post. "a.k.a the FAQ's Button"
http://www.geocities.com/gamesmgr/chod/acura/#Mods1

Here are a couple of other good links just for reading!!
http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=22237&criteria=Warranty
http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=8124&criteria=Warranty
Old 05-09-2002, 11:46 PM
Slam!

un-hook NOS, say u had bottles in back but never used....u gotta get out of this with a carefully placed web of lies
Old 05-09-2002, 11:57 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by flipwhip
un-hook NOS, say u had bottles in back but never used....u gotta get out of this with a carefully placed web of lies
NOS leaves a colored residue in the block all they have to do is take off the heads, and prove it.

i think your NOS overloaded our already weak tranny. but good luck bitching on this one. I will read what you have to say because it's quite an interesting argument

let's us know in full detail what goes on
Old 05-10-2002, 12:05 AM
The Quite One

The ECU records boost from Superchangers, Turbos, and NOS. Unless you use a Electronic Signal Modifier to keep the ECU from seeing a boost signal from the MAP Sensor. They have most likely read all the data out of the ECU and saw the boost that the NOS was giving your engine. It is not time to start lying. It is time to use the law to help fight the Service Manager!!

That is just my 2 cents worth!!

Matthew
Old 05-10-2002, 12:44 AM
Pro

ur screwed .. 100 shot of NOS and u wonder why they are giving you trouble?

Interesting point of arguement though ... however it's elementary thinking to conclude that the 100 horsepower increase did damage to your transmission. Ur tranny has enough problems trying to cope with 260hp.

My 2 cents. Should've waited for ur warrenty to go.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:48 AM
Instructor

The ECU records boost from Superchangers, Turbos, and NOS. Unless you use a Electronic Signal Modifier to keep the ECU from seeing a boost signal from the MAP Sensor. They have most likely read all the data out of the ECU and saw the boost that the NOS was giving your engine. It is not time to start lying. It is time to use the law to help fight the Service Manager!!

That is just my 2 cents worth!!

Matthew

dude nos does not increase manifold pressures PERIOD so that argument is incorect!

Now u can try but honestly since nitrous oxide is a major power adder you are going to have a hard time saying that it didnt cause the tranny failure. Your ONLY bet is to prove that the tranny probably would have failed even without the nitrous by showing the other persons who have had issues with the tranny..

Best of luck to you bro, but you should have taken most of the kit out before goin in for service, or taken it to a non acura shop for service!

just my .02
Old 05-10-2002, 02:02 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
NOS=VOIDED WARRANTY
Old 05-10-2002, 03:52 AM
Retired. Not available.

Do what they said, ask the dealer or Acura to prove that your bottle in the trunk caused the tranny problem. Just give them a link to our tranny forum to show that our tranny failed left and right with no power adder.

On the other hand, you should consult the service advisor before adding NOS. If he said, your warranty will be void then do youself a favor by removing the damned bottle before taking your car in for service.
Old 05-10-2002, 05:45 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by TypeSDragoon
i think your NOS overloaded our already weak tranny. but good luck bitching on this one. I will read what you have to say because it's quite an interesting argument....

What HE said.

Shawn S
Old 05-10-2002, 09:38 AM
Burning Brakes

In reality, Acura doesn't have to prove anything. If they void your warranty (whether legally right or wrong) your options are: 1) hire an attorney to sue Acura to have the warranty reinstated (although your case is kind of flimsy), or 2) suck it up. Acura has a fleet of lawyers and, if they dig in on this, will easily drag the issue out for a year. Meantime, you have no car and are paying an attorney out of pocket with the risk that if you lose the case; you’re stuck with attorney’s fees. Not to be the bearer of even more bad news, but Acura probably voided the warranty by the VIN which means if you repair and sell the car the new owner won't have any warranty either. And depending on the state you live in this must be disclosed at the time of sale. Sorry dude, it looks like you're between a rock and a hard place.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:07 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by BarryH
In reality, Acura doesn't have to prove anything. If they void your warranty (whether legally right or wrong) your options are: 1) hire an attorney to sue Acura to have the warranty reinstated (although your case is kind of flimsy), or 2) suck it up. Acura has a fleet of lawyers and, if they dig in on this, will easily drag the issue out for a year. Meantime, you have no car and are paying an attorney out of pocket with the risk that if you lose the case; you’re stuck with attorney’s fees. Not to be the bearer of even more bad news, but Acura probably voided the warranty by the VIN which means if you repair and sell the car the new owner won't have any warranty either. And depending on the state you live in this must be disclosed at the time of sale. Sorry dude, it looks like you're between a rock and a hard place.

Another reason they may give you a hard time is because they have no tranny to give you. You would just be one more headache tranny issue for them to deal with.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:24 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Originally posted by 94SupraTT

Your ONLY bet is to prove that the tranny probably would have failed even without the nitrous by showing the other persons who have had issues with the tranny..

Exactly. They only problem is we don't know what is causing the other trannys to fail.

If the stock 260 HP is part of problem, adding another 25-100 will not help with NOS or any power mods for that matter.

If they are failing due to bad fluid, parts, design, etc. ... might have a basis to argue.

According to the law, Acura/the Dealer has to provide proof to their claim. I don't think they will try.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:34 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally posted by TypeSDragoon

NOS leaves a colored residue in the block all they have to do is take off the heads, and prove it.

i think your NOS overloaded our already weak tranny. but good luck bitching on this one. I will read what you have to say because it's quite an interesting argument

let's us know in full detail what goes on

people say that, but to this day i have yet opened up a sprayed car and seen the colored residue
Old 05-10-2002, 10:36 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
this will teach you squeezers to take out all evidence of you nitrous kits. I set mine up so all the holes i made were already there
Old 05-10-2002, 10:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

What dealer in south FL was this?
Old 05-10-2002, 11:02 AM
Advanced

Esserman Acura...
Old 05-10-2002, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 94SupraTT

Your ONLY bet is to prove that the tranny probably would have failed even without the nitrous by showing the other persons who have had issues with the tranny..
Note that there are far more good trannies out there than bad ones. This will be a tough sell, how to prove you did not get a good tranny?
Old 05-10-2002, 12:46 PM
('''\_(o_0)_/''')

NOS sucks, think all motor. You're almost better off selling the car and getting a new warranty if you're that concerned.

You blew it, no other way to say it.
Old 05-10-2002, 01:01 PM
Advanced

i would really hate to sell the car and anyways who would buy it without a warranty?
i'm thinking this may be my only choice if all else fails...
BTW, it's a lease. i would have to have someone take over payments.
ideas...suggestions...
Old 05-10-2002, 01:09 PM

it's a lease.
That is not good. How many more payments? Any details of the lease?
Old 05-10-2002, 01:15 PM
"v1 saved my ass ......."

holy shit! You did all of those mods to a leased car.... what were you smokine

AdamR
Old 05-10-2002, 01:19 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I knew I was part of this forum for a reason.

When flipwhip said that, " you have to get out of this with a carefully placed web of lies I damn near crapped myself from laughing at my desk!

That is one of the funniest things I've read on here in awhile. Thanks for the laugh!

On the subject of the nitrous--you're probably screwed and to fight it legally will likely cost you more than replacing your own tranny.
Old 05-10-2002, 01:28 PM
Team Owner

BTW, it's a lease.......
You had better check the fine print on that lease.
They might not want the car back or will back charge you MAJOR BUCKS because of the known damage.

I believe they charge for everything beyond “normal wear & Tear” on the car.
NOS does NOT fall into that classification.
Your problems may not be over when the lease is up.

Shawn S
Old 05-10-2002, 01:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ghander

people say that, but to this day i have yet opened up a sprayed car and seen the colored residue
That's because it doesn't exist
Old 05-10-2002, 01:34 PM
hater

It's a lease... IT'S A LEASE!!! OMG, this is getting good.

Old 05-10-2002, 01:37 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 644 Likes on 285 Posts
it could always go missing.
Old 05-10-2002, 01:39 PM
Banned

I was just about to comment on the fact that since it is leased, you are now the proud owner of red flagged Acura. It is now reported in major dbs that your car has had damage done to it above and beyond normal wear and tear. No factory warranty will cover NOS or any aftermarket FI. You have no case. You will lose. They have already documented the fact that you have a NOS system setup and probably took photos to back it up. Now, you will have to deal with whoever financed your car, as now they can ask for full payment of the vehicle as you did not follow the terms of the lease, thus, ending all terms of it and are entitled to the full payment for the vehicle or return of vehicle without compensation.
Old 05-10-2002, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Astroboy
it could always go missing.
You mean "stolen?"

"wrecked" is also a possibility
Old 05-10-2002, 01:43 PM
Advanced

moomaster, can u reword the last few sentences of your thread where u talk about the financing co. i couldn't understand what you were saying. thanx

Quick Reply: WARRANTY VOIDED!! need advice!