Warpped Rotors not covered?? WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone explain exactly what is covered?

I have a 2001 CL-S (48K Miles, 100K Warranty - Bought the car w/22K Acura certified) and my brakes were pulsating on heavy braking. I took my car to my local shop and both the front and back rotors needed to be resurfaced and the pads changed. I had the front one's done, was waiting on the rear. Would I be covered under this TSB? Refunded money I already spent?
Old 02-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
The TSB does not guarantee free service. It's merely a group of instructions telling the dealership what to do regarding a common problem on a specific vehicle, regardless of whether or not it's covered by the warranty.

It depends on the dealership. Some do it on a good will, others won't do it, simply because they are not obligated to do so. Again, the TSB merely tells the dealerships how to solve a problem. TSB does not mean free service under warranty.

Best method now is to find a dealership. If that's not possible, go back to the dealership and talk to the Service Manager. Tell him/her that it is a known common problem on our cars, and that you would really appreciate it if they could do it on good will.

I've talked to www.RacingBrake.com. They are working on slotted and drilled rotors for our cars right now. ETA spring of this year, so another month or so. I strongly suggest contacting them and showing interest. I've heard nothing but good things about their rotors, and it's only about 350 bucks for a whole set. OEM spec, a direct bolt-on.

My stock rotors are warped as hell, too, but since the dealership is an hour and a half away, I can't really just go. I'll probably have my brother get it done during Spring Break. After that, I'm getting the RB rotors as soon as they come out. They look cool, don't warp, perform excellent, and they are affordable. I've done some research for rotors, and I think these are the most affordable, best alternative.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:02 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotors cut once at 20K
then rotors replaced at 30K
same old pads

Last week, at 48K, I put on new Brembo rotors and new "non-Acura" premium pads. Original pads were worn out.