Vids of driving event last week in Nevada

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vids of driving event last week in Nevada

Awhile back I was hoping that some Acura's would decide to try the Quattro Club Drivers event in Nevada. Alas, none showed. We had a slew of BMW's show, couple of vettes, WRX, Saab 9-5 Aero, SS Camaro and some rental cars too! : )
Was good fun and a great learning experence. In the future if anyone is interested let me know, there might be an event (So Cal) at California Motor Speedway in the next 2-3 months, plus an event at Sears Point later this year. Here is a quick video of the track riding in my A6.

"Also posted TL forum"

<a href="http://www.digitalfields.com/ming/short clip ming.mpg">short clip ming video</a>

<a href="http://www.digitalfields.com/ming/mingpahrump.mpg">ming at pahrump video</a>
Old 04-18-2002, 03:06 PM
Pro

I went to the track last weekend as well!

Took a lot of tread off my tires and a life off the brakes. Probably less than 5K miles on these pads :o
Old 04-18-2002, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Nice pic. But the tire wear and brakes are worth it if you learn the limits of your car.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:31 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
i went to buttonwillow in So. Cal last friday!

it really wore the shit outta my tires, heated them up ALOT, and my brakes too!

after only two laps, my car started NOT shifting!!!! the tranny got heated up soooo much, that it wouldnt shift outta second it did that about 10 times throughout the day the only way i could get it to switch gears was to slow down for about 20 seconds before i could finally drive hard again, until the next time it would repeat. really pissed me off.

PLUS , during the second session, my VSA snd check engine light came on!!! so i had to drive the rest of the day on the track with no traction control.

my car is at acura right now, there are two error codes, one was the O2 sensor, and the other they don't know yet, but it has to do with the VSA.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:49 PM
Pro

Originally posted by TypeSDragoon
i went to buttonwillow in So. Cal last friday!

it really wore the shit outta my tires, heated them up ALOT, and my brakes too!

after only two laps, my car started NOT shifting!!!! the tranny got heated up soooo much, that it wouldnt shift outta second it did that about 10 times throughout the day the only way i could get it to switch gears was to slow down for about 20 seconds before i could finally drive hard again, until the next time it would repeat. really pissed me off.

PLUS , during the second session, my VSA snd check engine light came on!!! so i had to drive the rest of the day on the track with no traction control.

my car is at acura right now, there are two error codes, one was the O2 sensor, and the other they don't know yet, but it has to do with the VSA.
Overcooked your tires? I hear that the Kuhmos tend to do that. My S-03s were great the whole day, but the edge of the LF tire is nearly smooth :o

Are you sure that your tranny overheated? Maybe there was fluid starvation That can happen with gas and oil when there is a lot of lateral force. I would recommend leaving stability control off though, it will allow you, the driver, to have full control of the car.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:51 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Ming 2.7T
Nice pic. But the tire wear and brakes are worth it if you learn the limits of your car.
For sure
Old 04-18-2002, 08:06 PM
on bin laden

Originally posted by someguy

Overcooked your tires? I hear that the Kuhmos tend to do that. My S-03s were great the whole day, but the edge of the LF tire is nearly smooth :o

Are you sure that your tranny overheated? Maybe there was fluid starvation That can happen with gas and oil when there is a lot of lateral force. I would recommend leaving stability control off though, it will allow you, the driver, to have full control of the car.
our cars dont fuel starve for sure ... i ran it with the gas light on

never had any problems with any other fluids either ...
Old 04-18-2002, 08:10 PM
Pro

Originally posted by fbazakos

our cars dont fuel starve for sure ... i ran it with the gas light on

never had any problems with any other fluids either ...
No, no, there is a big difference between running with low gas on the street and on the track. Having less that a 1/4 of tank on the track can easily cause starvation after lots of turns with no time to settle on a staight. The fuel gets pushed to the sides of the tank and the pump can't suck it up. If you are driving normally, even with almost no gas, the pump can pick it up since it is at the bottom of the tank. Try driving on a skidpad with 1/2 gallon of gas. I had some fuel starvation coming out of a long series of fast turns in my final sessions on Saturday when I had around 1/4 tank, but when I had more gas, there was no problem.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:20 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
my gas was still more than 1/2 tank.

and my tranny fluid was just changed/replaced a few weeks ago and it was very full.

it was the tranny heating up and not shifting. i know this because i ran it REALLY hard on the track, shifting hard, full throttling.

acutally, if i revved too high, that's when it wouldn't shift gears. it would stay up high, and every time i pushed the throttle, it would just bounce off the fuel cut off. so i would have to NOT gas it for at least 20 seconds, until it finally shifted to the next gear on it's own. the only way i could remedy this was to really pay attention and to shift way before the cut off. if i got it too high, it wouldn't shift.

it did this so many times really ruined my day.

i'm looking at installing the tranny cooler soon
Old 04-18-2002, 08:20 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the vids, looks like fun.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:42 PM
Pro

Originally posted by TypeSDragoon
my gas was still more than 1/2 tank.

and my tranny fluid was just changed/replaced a few weeks ago and it was very full.

it was the tranny heating up and not shifting. i know this because i ran it REALLY hard on the track, shifting hard, full throttling.

acutally, if i revved too high, that's when it wouldn't shift gears. it would stay up high, and every time i pushed the throttle, it would just bounce off the fuel cut off. so i would have to NOT gas it for at least 20 seconds, until it finally shifted to the next gear on it's own. the only way i could remedy this was to really pay attention and to shift way before the cut off. if i got it too high, it wouldn't shift.

it did this so many times really ruined my day.

i'm looking at installing the tranny cooler soon
It shouln't be doing that