V1 did not help me. Got nailed with laser

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V1 did not help me. Got nailed with laser

Driving home from work yesterday I got nailed with laser. V1 never went off . I was going 60 in a 45 so its only a 75$ dollar ticker and I get supervision for 90 days.

Cop asked me what the remote display was on my dash. I told him it’s a part for my car. He then asked what part. I told him it was a radar detector. That made him mad and he immediately asked if I would be using my driver’s license as bond. I guess next time I will make something up.
Old 07-28-2001, 06:19 PM
Race Director

Even though I have beat the laser several times, there are many times when the V1 doesn't go off at all, too. But I haven't been ticketed for laser.

It is a bit disconcerting that we don't know the exact reason as to how we can actually drive thru and active laser trap and not even get a peep out of V1 but other times it appears to go off rather easily. I know laser is difficult to detect.

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: kensteele ]
Old 07-28-2001, 06:19 PM
'Cooter

o no!!!! f'in police saying sh!t like that..it's like their way of rubbing your nose in it...that royally sux, bud...u bring up a very good point, tho...if u're getting pulled over, how can u hide your radar?? even if u manage to hide it, cops aren't dumb...u know they gotta b looking for suction cup marks on your windshield
Old 07-28-2001, 06:26 PM
Kill the Chicken heads

i dont have to hide mine b/c its legal. but when ever im hit with laser it goes off, but by then its too late
Old 07-29-2001, 12:33 AM
Burning Brakes

in all of the radar test web pages, they all say laser detection is useless. None of the models were able to pick up a laser signal from a car being hit some distance in front of you.
You are trying to detect an 18 inch wide beam aimed at the bottom of a car 1/4 mile in front of you. Just aint gonna happen.
Best defence from laser is to make sure you are not the lead car, and watch oncoming traffic for headlight flashing.

I don't know why he got mad about the detector, they are legal. You could say its for an aftermarket navi system
and hope he doesn't want to see a demo!

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: fast_daddy_car ]
Old 07-29-2001, 12:53 PM
At least it's not Jersey

Also watch for traffic ahead of you braking! That’s the best indication that something's up. Like I said, if this laser jammer saves me from one ticket, it's worth it but damn, your detector didn't even pick it up??

Is it sitting in the tint band at the top? Make sure it sits slightly below it if so. That might have made a difference.
Old 07-29-2001, 09:14 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The way this cop reacted is the only concern i've had about having a detector. They look at it as war, and you have the audacity to fight back ! They're legal and we shouldn't have to worry, but the wrong cop could decide you were going faster than he thought, AFTER he sees your detector. to me, that's the downside.
Old 07-30-2001, 03:37 AM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

I used to think the laser detector was only useful for telling you that you've just been had. Now, I'm not so sure.

The first time I got popped for a laser ticket the detector didn't go off. I was going too fast in a place I knew to be a common speed trap, not paying good attention and a motorcycle cop standing without his bike by traffic signal nailed me up close and personal.

Two weeks ago, I'm driving late at night in a different highly patrolled zone; I'm probably doing a little more than 10 miles over the limit in a 35mph zone. I get the warning. I slow down almost immediately and spot a slickback, lights off, on the opposite side of the street, facing me directly a quarter mile away. I get a second alert by which time I'm pretty near the correct speed limit.

I don't really know if the officer didn't get a good read the first time or if he was feeling generous or what, but I'm pretty sure that slowing down for the second pop didn't hurt any.