V1 broke AGAIN!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 12:24 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
V1 broke AGAIN!!!

Maybe I just have really bad luck with the V1, but this is the second time it has crapped out on me, for the same reason!!!

It basically loses its mind. For example, I'll be driving along and see the cop on the side of the road, radar gun pointing right at me. The V1 picks up the signal no problem. But, it shows the signal via the directional arrows coming from th REAR or SIDE and a bogey count of 3, sometimes 4, 5... It should be from the front, with a bogey count of one.

It has lost its sense of direciton, and it can't count anymore.

Same thing happened to me in July 2002. It seemed to be fixed... Guess not.

They're going to reimburse me for the overnight shipping and overnight it back to me. They said they'll probably just give me a new inside and keep the case the same. Lucky for me that it happened this week. My warranty runs out on the 10th.

The V1 is a great product, but damn... I'll be really pissed if it happens again.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:41 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recall, Recall.. You get what you pay for!!!
Is that the only time it goes haywire (when boogy is close and pointing right at you? Does it happen on more than one band? Could it just be a reflection within your car?
Old 02-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Happens in all bands...

I don't know why it'd be a reflection in my car. I guess it could happen. But the V1 is facing the source, yet the directional arrows are saying it's coming from the back. So if it were a reflection issue, I'd also think the front would show up too???

I just hope it gets fixed this time!!!
Old 02-06-2003, 01:05 PM
Grammar Police

Um, well I'm not sure how severe your problem is compared to the norm, but it can happen if you're around big trucks, or big freeway signs, or any other large, flat piece of metal (it acts like a mirror). It's perfectly normal to have the forward arrow blinking (meaning that's the most important threat), and have the bogey counter go from 1 to 2 to 3 to 1 to 2 to 1, with flickers from arrows on the side, back, etc., ESPECIALLY if you're so close to a cop that even a reflection is a really strong intensity signal!

Here's a quote from Mike on www.valentine1.com:

Remember too, that radar beams are easily reflected. Buildings, overhead signs and passing traffic are all good reflectors. When you have a strong signal from one direction, don't be surprised if the Radar Locator shows brief flickers from another direction too if you're driving by reflectors.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Team Owner

Your window tint isn’t Metallic is it ???
I heard that certain brands of film can cause strange behavior from RADAR detectors.

Shawn S
Old 02-06-2003, 01:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
How about quamtum's...do they do that, I have quantums on my car and I am thinking of getting a v1
Old 02-06-2003, 02:18 PM
At least it's not Jersey

I've been point blank to radar and very far and it only points in one direction, never multiple counts. There's something wrong fellas.

When I come point blank to a radar trailer, I get a 2-count b/c it’s picking up the local oscillation from the trailer as well.

The algorithm measures strength from both antennas and can determine if those readings are more than one and what band they’re on. If you know there’s only one X band in particular area and you get a 2-count with 2 or 3 arrows lit, you need to send it back. The first level person who answers the phone at Valentine might say it’s due to reflections but state you want to speak to a tech and they’ll confirm there’s a problem. What would be the point of having the counter if counts wrong?

Reflections shouldn’t be an issue if the unit is operating properly.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:18 PM
At least it's not Jersey

Oh and I had metallic tint on my car too. Still worked properly.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:14 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Mine will give me one reading w/ a front arrow if i'm a good distance from the cop. But once I start getting close it'll start giving off more readings and sometimes the arrows will flutter. I believe it's because the radar may be bouncing off different elements in your surrounding. I don't think there is anything wrong. But maybe.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:48 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by Shawn S
Your window tint isn’t Metallic is it ???
I heard that certain brands of film can cause strange behavior from RADAR detectors.

Shawn S
Tint isn't metallic. Just plain 'ol 30%.

I understand all your concerns but something is definitely focked.

After thinking about it for a while, if I know the radar is behind me, it works fine; always shows a rear arrow.

The problem is when the radar site is ahead of me. I NEVER get a front arrow, always rear or side and the counter goes nuts. I can't really explain it any other way than that.

The detection part still works like a champ, but the V1's GPS is all outta whack.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Racer

Exact same thing happens to my V1. My first V1 didn't even give me a warning. I got worried about it being so quiet so I pulled out my old Bel 855Sti and had both on at the same time. Well, my Bel fell off the windshield while I was driving and ended up in the passenger seat. What happened next really surprised me. The Bel (still on the passenger seat) warns me of a K band well in advance. Nothing from the V1. This is the most surprising part for me....V1 gave me NO warning whatsoever (not even one beep!)

My warranty was over so I just sent it in for an upgrade. I didn't want to bother with complaints. Now I'm getting the exact same symptoms as Scrib. At least I have a slimmer case now. Looks like I'll definitely have to give V1 a call. Hopefully my warranty isn't gone yet.

Scrib, keep us updated with what Valentine is doing about your case.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:02 PM
Administrator Alumnus

I certainly will... Maybe we got a bad batch or something. I know this isn't Valentine Research's style... To send out bum detectors.

I should have mine back early next week. Monday or Tuesday I'd guess.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:05 PM
Racer

Great!! How are the customer service reps? Did you have to go through anyone else or were the reps really good about this?
Old 02-06-2003, 06:51 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Customer service is REALLY good. The first time this happened, it was "Ok, send it back. We'll take a look." Got it back within a week, No questions asked.

Today, I spoke with a technician, he looked into my past call-in, read the notes and asked me some questions. Told me to send it in.

I got transfered back to someone, who told me to overnight it, they'll look at it ASAP and overnight it back to me. Oh and they're gonna reimburse me for the shipping charges.

Totally cool people there...
Old 02-06-2003, 07:12 PM
Race Director

I think this might be a known issue. Mine was doing this once before I returned it the first time. But not exactly but something similar. Arrows blinking every else but in the front.

Just an FYI, old moving radar use to have two radar beams, a long range for tracking cars and a short range to get the speed of the cop car. Sometimes they would be on different frequencies, too. But that was in the old days.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

So which tint brands give the V1 problems? I've got Solargard HP Charcoal.