UR SS Pulleys & Comptech Cat-Back Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
UR SS Pulleys & Comptech Cat-Back Exhaust

Well with the weather being so nice today I was finally able to get around to taking some pics of my car with the new mods. I had the UR pulleys and CT exhaust + b-pipe installed at PAA on Jan 26. So after about 2 weeks and a half of driving with this setup here are my impressions:

First off I really do love the sound the exhaust makes. At startup they make this wonderful growl that lets everyone know what’s up. Even with the windows down and accelerating they make themselves known but they're subdued enough to were they don't sound like a "fart pipe." The moment you let off the gas, no matter at what speed, they instantly cut out and when your coasting they make basically no sound at all. While I remember Jim saying they’re still borderline rice, they really don’t come close to some of the civics with those insanely loud exhausts. However a Mustang with flows it is not.

Now at highway speeds when your cruising at say 60 with the RPM's down the exhausts do drone. No doubt about it. However its really not enough that it becomes a nuisance. 20 days or so since they've been on and i no longer even notice it anymore. Also if you keep it in D4 while cruising about 75% of the droning is gone. So if you really don't like the noise you can incur the gas penalty.

I've heard the Exhausts on a CL-S without the b-pipe and to me w/ the b-pipe it sounds basically no different. I'm gonna have to hear one again with just the CT exhaust now that i've been exposed to the b-pipe for this long to make a better call.

As far as performance goes from 0-150 I expectantly don't feel any difference. Some people have said there is a loss of low end torque but off the line it feels no different. This exhaust is not known for its hp/$ ratio and i knew that going in.

While some people have said the tips and exhaust as a whole look to small on the CL I for one think they fit and look perfect. I prefer the rounded tips to the more oval ones that come stock on the 03's. From any angle they just look sweet. The b-pipe as well offers a much better appearance from the rear as the rust covered stock b-pipe is now long gone.

In the end I’m very happy with em and i'm glad i ended up doing this mod.

Next up is the Unorthodox Racing SS Pulleys. I ended up getting the entire set at a great price so all 3 went in. Park Ave Acura supplied the new belts for the two pulleys that needed them.

In the past i've heard people say how much heavier the stock pulleys are vs. the UR ones. I for one can definitely verify this as after i held both in my hands i was amazed how much heavier the stock crank pulley really is. I mean it was freaking heavy.

Under the hood you can really only see the crank pulley but it looks good nonetheless. Performance wise I really feel the pulleys doing their job in the upper RPM ranges. On the highway this bitch snaps so quick now its great. Not as night and day as the headers were but enough to make the butt dyno get the . Off the line it is also quicker with shifts happening quicker now as well.

So that’s basically it. I'm glad i ended up doing these 3 mods and while i know the possible problems replacing the crank pulley could cause to me they’re worth the risk.

Only a few performance mods left to go with the S/C probably not a possibility. Next up is gonna have to be replacing the stock rubber as they don't do all that power coming from under the hood any real justice. Enjoy the pics:

Old 02-11-2004, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous

we gotta get a meet going and takes some pics and possibly some runs
Old 02-11-2004, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
btw the pulley you show in the pic is the power steering pulley...the crank can barley be seen ...but still glad you like them...light weight wheels and rubber will help compliment your new power
Old 02-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Race Director

Yeah lou you were over seas for the last meet so we're due for a race.

Originally posted by typeR
btw the pulley you show in the pic is the power steering pulley...the crank can barley be seen

Your 100% correct my bad.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Audi S4 driver

Excellent review chap Looking at your car is like deja-vu .. it looks just like mine. tint, drop, exhaust, wheels color etc .. all the same hahah. Now it looks like I'm in for the bpipe and pulley mods, and the unichip so we can run at acura wars .. I'm sure neither of us will have the unichip by then tho .. so we'll see if my track times with light wheels offset your pulleys\bpipe. anyway car looks amazing chap you definetly did everything right

BTW, IMO .. lose the "Powered by Comptech" plate frame It just reminds me too much of those AEM ones I see on all the ricers. Acura makes a really nice classy looking chrome one that looks great on my anthracite says "ACURA" outlined in black

PS- lou and chap I'm up for a meet just let me know
Old 02-11-2004, 06:00 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great review chap, i just got my pulley on a couple hours ago
Old 02-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Thanks for the awesome review. Car looks sweet.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

very nice...
Old 02-11-2004, 07:28 PM
Burning Brakes

hey chap how much did u get the exhaust for and from where?
Old 02-11-2004, 07:53 PM
///M POWER

i love the look of the ct exhaust but 600 for 2hp is a no no in darrins book
Old 02-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by niz181
hey chap how much did u get the exhaust for and from where?
I bought the exhaust & b-pipe from Juniorbean over at http://www.c-c-c.net/CustomCarCreati...Page/index.htm

$948+ shipping.

Great prices.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Pro

Nice!
Old 02-12-2004, 12:02 AM
///M POWER

did u hand wash ur car in this cold weather?
Old 02-12-2004, 12:08 AM
Got a Job!

Chap, the car is look great!! I just love the charcoal gray cl's

I got a question on the stock 03 mufflers...well more so about the tips. Are the tips welded on or screwed on?? Secondly, would you by any chance want to sell them, or know where I could buy then, because I prefer those tips over the '01s. Thanks alot!

Btw, what exactly is the B-pipe?? and the y-pipe, or whatever other pipes there are.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Sold but not Forgotten...

Excellent Review Chap... descriptive, to the point, with pro's and con's...
Old 02-12-2004, 08:29 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Very nice review! I am very pleased with the pulley as well!
Old 02-12-2004, 09:15 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

fuggin sexy
Old 02-12-2004, 09:46 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by Dem1K
I got a question on the stock 03 mufflers...well more so about the tips. Are the tips welded on or screwed on?? Secondly, would you by any chance want to sell them, or know where I could buy then, because I prefer those tips over the '01s. Thanks alot!
Nah unfortunately the tips are welded on making the muffler and tip basically one piece.

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/ has the stock 03 exhaust for sale and their prices are very reasonable. However I’m not sure about the part #.

Originally posted by Dem1K
Btw, what exactly is the B-pipe?? and the y-pipe, or whatever other pipes there are.
The B-pipe I got basically just replaces the stock b-pipe that came from the factory. It runs from the cat all the way to back to where it splits and then connects to the exhaust.

Originally posted by darrinb
did u hand wash ur car in this cold weather?
It actually got up to 50 here earlier this week so i made it through a was with little or no frostbite.