upper grill question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upper grill question

I took off the upper grill hoping to do something similar to farabeast and some other members grills. the black plastic piece that supports the wings has been cut and bondo'ed to be flush all around. and its the bottom of this piece thats causing a problem. i like the look where the mesh is setback instead of up front with the bend. anyway in test fitting it doesnt fit flush because of a metal piece thats attached to the hood. im debating whether to cut it all off, cut just the middle off and leave some on the sides for support, or forgo the effort alltogether. ive attached a pic to show you the piece im talking about, its circled in red. anyone have any ideas about how to get around this?
edit: couldnt get the pic to post, i;ll play with it later, but here is a link
pic here
Old 02-23-2006, 11:40 PM
Forgot I had a CL in

Your pic looks familiar? I just cut out the part of the support that bulges out, leaving the sides for strength. I wouldnt risk cutting out the support unless you reinforced the entire surround. And of course I painted it flat black so you cant see it through the mesh, besides my cutting is sloppy. Cut as little as possible and keep test fitting it, I cut a hair too much out. I removed the grille last weekend to start fabricating a different look, so the support was allready exposed for a pic!

Post some pics of your progess, Im curious to see how other people do this stuff and maybe I'll learn something.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:03 AM
Intermediate

man thats exactly what i need to see and hear, thanks alot. most of the grill is going very similar to yours, cut the plastic out with a dremel, sanded, then bondo and filler the gaps, sand some more and repeat. i found your cardomain pics when i was toying with the idea of a grill, im borrowing my girlfriends camera and hopefully i can get some pics up here over the weekend. now that i know how to do this last step it shouldnt be too much longer till it gets put on, it was the only thing that was really holding us back. oh and sorry about using your pic, but hey it showed excatly what i needed, thanks alot man i'll keep you posted.