UniChip Possibilities

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by blxmjx
you might want to do a search on the subaru forums about the Unichip. They really aren't the best solution IMO. check out nasioc.com and do a search on unichip problems. I personally had one on my wrx, I had it tuned also. It never ran perfectly. There was stumbling and hesitation at particular throttle points. Why not take a look at the Greddy emanage.
The e-Manage is nothing more than the VAFC as it intercepts input signals and alters them:

Basic functions will allow the user to slightly alter factory injector duty-cycle(± 20% at 5 preset RPM points), by intercepting and altering airflow or MAP sensor signals. For VTEC cars you can adjust the VTEC shift point
Those of us with the SC can't alter the MAP signal for fuel adjustments as the ESM would negate and changes.

Furthermore, the e-Manage does not allow for ignition timing adjustments; it is fuel only.

However, thanks for the insight on the matter. I wonder if the fact that the WRX has forced induction from the factory and hence a completely different map might have some insight as to why it wasn't too successful on that application. From what I have read so far it has enjoyed some success in racing, etc. And since it is the only game in town for the CL-S we might as well see what it can do for us.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by CLS2001_97124
Also, they did perfer manual, but I don't recall seeing any around our area that is on this board that has one.. except for Kalin.. who is in CA now..

But he thinks auto should work just fine, just easier if it was manual.
I think the auto will be the best choice to start with.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ModAddict
I think the auto will be the best choice to start with.
Well, it makes sense, start out slow and move on to the faster crowd second. :P
Old 10-10-2003, 06:29 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Smitty
Yeah do report back since Mattg and Zapata will need dyno numbers before they spend some money..

wow how'd i get sucked into this?

proof is in the pudding!
Old 10-10-2003, 06:39 PM
foolio at heart

Originally posted by scalbert
The e-Manage is nothing more than the VAFC as it intercepts input signals and alters them:

Those of us with the SC can't alter the MAP signal for fuel adjustments as the ESM would negate and changes.

Furthermore, the e-Manage does not allow for ignition timing adjustments; it is fuel only.

However, thanks for the insight on the matter. I wonder if the fact that the WRX has forced induction from the factory and hence a completely different map might have some insight as to why it wasn't too successful on that application. From what I have read so far it has enjoyed some success in racing, etc. And since it is the only game in town for the CL-S we might as well see what it can do for us.
I don't think you fully understand the full capabilities of the emanage. Please read the emanage faq's, then you can comment further.http://www.mohdparts.com/emanage/EmanageFAQ.htm

In its most basic form it is similar to a vafc. But there are additional harnesses available for fuel and ignition control.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well, it makes sense, start out slow and move on to the faster crowd second. :P
If they do the manual first, they'll never get around to the auto. If they do the auto first, the manual will allready be 90% + done. Seams like a good buisiness decision to me.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by blxmjx
I don't think you fully understand the full capabilities of the emanage. Please read the emanage faq's, then you can comment further.http://www.mohdparts.com/emanage/EmanageFAQ.htm

In its most basic form it is similar to a vafc. But there are additional harnesses available for fuel and ignition control.
You are right, and thanks for that correction. I only read the blurb they had and did not realize about the add-on features. That is intriguing and certainly worth looking into as an alternative.

I'll probably call Monday to discuss this with them. Thanks again...
Old 10-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by mattg
my fellow cl'ers, i will do whatever is necessary for the cause.

Brian, did you already call?
You da man . .

Ruf
Old 10-10-2003, 08:48 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

so wat u talkin about?
Old 10-11-2003, 01:18 AM
Pro

hey i started the damm project with the unichip
Old 10-11-2003, 04:16 AM
Suzuka Master

You dropped the ball Eric (types1967)..
Old 10-11-2003, 05:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by types1967
hey i started the damm project with the unichip
Yea, way to contact the wrong people...
Old 10-11-2003, 05:49 AM
Suzuka Master

BTW, I am really intrigued now about the Greddy e-Manage if this doesn't pan out with the UniChip. I have got to get more details about both but it appears that they can accomplish about the same thing. I just want to find out the methods employed.

The one thing I see advantageous about the UniChip is the larger map available. This would provide more precise tuning over the entire range. But it may not be necessary.

I’ll be in contact with both to gather the details on Monday.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Shouldn't cost more than $5k, more than the price of a stand alone DFI with expert tuning.
Someone developed, and sells, a new stand alone for the Honda Turbo Aquatrax F12X PWC. HOLY $$$$,....$4-$5k to control a $9k jet ski!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2003, 08:32 AM
Revving at 9K...

BTW, I am really intrigued now about the Greddy e-Manage if this doesn't pan out with the UniChip. I have got to get more details about both but it appears that they can accomplish about the same thing. I just want to find out the methods employed.

The one thing I see advantageous about the UniChip is the larger map available. This would provide more precise tuning over the entire range. But it may not be necessary.

I’ll be in contact with both to gather the details on Monday.
Steve is right, one of the things they showed me was the advantage of having a huge map to plot on (I think it will be over 50000 points that they can plot on across the entire RPM band) the result is a very fine tuned map that will allow our cars to have a very flat air to fuel ratio across the entire power band.

The E-Manage does seem very interesting also. I love having options!!
Old 10-11-2003, 08:52 AM
Revving at 9K...

So here is the plan:

1. I take my car to their shop on 10.20.2003, and they will keep my car for about a week to collect all of the data they need to come up with a map for the CLS with Headers.

2. When I get my car back, they will have a prototype chip hardwired to my ECU for me to test drive around town. So they get collect more data on how the car is reacting to their mod.

3. I would bring my car back into their shop so they can try out new maps to collect more data. I would continue to do so until they are happy with the chip.

4. Once the map is finalized, they would provide the dyno data to the forum, so we can see the actual % gain from their Chip.

5. At this point, if the gains (hp to dollor ratio) is worth it, and we will have some kind GroupBuy, and depending on the turn out, it could mean a better price.

Again, they are very nice and willing to work this out for us. I think we are for sure on the right track with them, because they are willing to invest the R&D (no money up front needed) to come up with a map and plug and play harness for our cars, and also show proof before we need to commit on buying this unit.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Bagged hybrid

That sounds awesome! Great job dude

Now for the second option just in case: the e-manage w/ ignition & injector harness + software runs about $450, but I think I may be able to get a discount.

EDIT: $415 is the lowest I can find it.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:05 PM
Not Fast Enough

Sounds great guys !!!
Old 10-11-2003, 05:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
sounds good Brian. hopefully if this all works out they can dyno my car too.

i have a feeling that one way or another we will have a chip soon.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:19 PM
Suzuka Master

The difficulty here will be to have set programs based on the needs.

Upon consideration for this we need to determine popular configurations which will allow for true plug-n-play operations.

After my discussion with Brian we both agree that a stock tuning map is worthless. In other words, who wants the UniChip and not already have and Intake and Headers? So the first map should be for those vehicles with headers and intake. This will consist of the largest market segment.

IMO, the next map should be for the supercharged owners. I am unsure if non-intercooled and intercooled maps will be needed but I suspect they will; particularly when it comes to the ignition timing. This we will need to work with them on as the market is more limited.

But regardless, custom tuning is not something which should be attempted unless absolutely nessesary.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
i guess they really wanted to start w/ a stock car. but like you just said, who's gonna buy the chip before intake and headers? not likely.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:53 PM
A-CL Member

I wanna get in on this too count me in!
Old 10-11-2003, 06:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

But regardless, custom tuning is not something which should be attempted unless absolutely nessesary.
You better know what you're doing to try this at home, but Steve, you might just be the one who does! I'll send you my wideband if you need it.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

You better know what you're doing to try this at home, but Steve, you might just be the one who does! I'll send you my wideband if you need it.
I appreciate that...

But I'll just go to the dyno and get on the roller to be sure.

BTW, there was a good article in the recent Turbo about the need for proper tuning. On an MR2 Turbo they went from 168 WHP to 188 WHP with just altering the HKS electronics they had installed. That is a 10% improvement that would not have been realized if not for the proper tuning equipment; in this case a good wide band A/F monitor at the dyno.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

I took my son's blown Si over to Payne Tech last week, to see if the other tuner left anything on the table when he re-mapped with Hondata. They picked up another 5-10% across the board. This is the third time the Si was re-mapped.

The 02 SS I had done with LS1-Edit with only bolt-ons and picked up 10-20 hp across the board. They had done hundreds of these before, and were involved in the beta testing for the program with the manufacturer.

My wideband is more of an a/f ratio gauge for me. I'll leave the tuning to the experts!
Old 10-12-2003, 04:27 PM
BC
nearsighted visionary

This is cool! Something local. I've got the 2001 CL Helms service manual if that'll help. Let me know.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:27 AM
Drifting

So here is the plan:

1. I take my car to their shop on 10.20.2003, and they will keep my car for about a week to collect all of the data they need to come up with a map for the CLS with Headers.

2. When I get my car back, they will have a prototype chip hardwired to my ECU for me to test drive around town. So they get collect more data on how the car is reacting to their mod.

3. I would bring my car back into their shop so they can try out new maps to collect more data. I would continue to do so until they are happy with the chip.

4. Once the map is finalized, they would provide the dyno data to the forum, so we can see the actual % gain from their Chip.

5. At this point, if the gains (hp to dollor ratio) is worth it, and we will have some kind GroupBuy, and depending on the turn out, it could mean a better price.

Again, they are very nice and willing to work this out for us. I think we are for sure on the right track with them, because they are willing to invest the R&D (no money up front needed) to come up with a map and plug and play harness for our cars, and also show proof before we need to commit on buying this unit.
That sound awesome man....so are you getting a before Dyno to compair to the after dyno???
Old 10-13-2003, 05:35 AM
2004 Euro Cup Champions

i wanted to thank 2001cls for donating his time and car to the effort.

what do you think the total eta for the entire project will be? i.e. the first chip installed.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:36 AM
Racer

If this goes through im buying for sure! i was dying for another affordable mod to come through!
Old 10-13-2003, 07:28 AM
Revving at 9K...

Originally posted by dets
i wanted to thank 2001cls for donating his time and car to the effort.

what do you think the total eta for the entire project will be? i.e. the first chip installed.
From what I understand, it all depends on how soon they can solve the 5K RPM issue that our cars have. But judging from what they told me about other project life cycles, it will be at least 3 - 4 month.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:41 AM
Acura TL-S

From what I understand, it all depends on how soon they can solve the 5K RPM issue that our cars have. But judging from what they told me about other project life cycles, it will be at least 3 - 4 month.
it's worth the wait! some of us waited for the SC for over 2 years, and it was worth the wait to finally get it. now if we can actually optimize the performance, what's another 3-4 month
Old 10-14-2003, 04:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Just FYI, I may have received incorrect information in the past from one of the previous resellers, The Racers Group. I will confirm this later today when I talk to Tony at Dastek NA but it may not control the injectors directly.

If so then it would still work great for the NA guys but us supercharger (or turbo) would be left out.

Which is why I am looking at the e-Manage more in depth. I have the manuals printed out and it can certainly do what we need. But I am researching it further to see what the potential problems might be.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~ecg/products.htm

The SMC was designed for 4 cylinders but the technology may be able to carry over to the 6 cylinders. They use it to control injectors instead of using Hondata.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:38 AM
Revving at 9K...

Just FYI, I may have received incorrect information in the past from one of the previous resellers, The Racers Group. I will confirm this later today when I talk to Tony at Dastek NA but it may not control the injectors directly.

If so then it would still work great for the NA guys but us supercharger (or turbo) would be left out.

Which is why I am looking at the e-Manage more in depth. I have the manuals printed out and it can certainly do what we need. But I am researching it further to see what the potential problems might be.
That's interesting.. When I spoke to them, they told me that one of the features is to allow people run bigger injectors. Plus, one of their biggest market is for FI cars, mainly TRD S/C kits.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:40 AM
foolio at heart

correct. the unichip is an intercepter type unit. Depending on the actual tuner they will actually tap in to either the map or tps signal and tweak the signal for fueling. Another drawback is the end user is not able to make any adjustments on their own. All adjustments must be done by a unichip dealer. That's how I remember it being on the wrx. I'm not sure if they'd do things the same on the cls though. As far as a preprogrammed unichip being good for everyone, that was the problem w/the wrx. That preprogrammed chip wasn't cutting it for everyone. Most people required a fine tune of the unichip for the driveability issues to be ironed out. My suggestion is be very wary and make sure that they make an actual harness so you won't have to hack up your existing ecu harness. Otherwise, any dealer warranty work will go straight out the window.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:43 AM
Suzuka Master

http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~ecg/products.htm

The SMC was designed for 4 cylinders but the technology may be able to carry over to the 6 cylinders. They use it to control injectors instead of using Hondata.
It would be fine if we had larger injectors. That is pretty neat though and certainly more cost effective than the VAFC (which is what it is similar to).

The e-Manage taps into the injector control wires and will keep the pulse on (extended the pulse width directly) as specified. In order to back off on fuel at places it will modify the MAP signal. It also intercepts all six ignition control signals to give +/- 20 degrees control from the factory tuning.

Both fuel and ignition control have 16x16 maps.

More on this later but I envision with either the Unichip or e-Manage that we will have specific programs for the J32A2 with intake and headers, both auto and 6-Speed. One for the SC with HBP, again for both auto and 6-Speed. And one for the intercooled SC for both the auto and 6-Speed. Of course all will be lug and play.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:45 AM
Suzuka Master

That's interesting.. When I spoke to them, they told me that one of the features is to allow people run bigger injectors. Plus, one of their biggest market is for FI cars, mainly TRD S/C kits.
You could run larger injectors. One reason why other applications would not be impacted is becasue they have a true air flow device in a MAF sensor. We use speed density where air flow is derived from the MAP and IAT readings.

I will be talking with them soon and will confirm the information about their system.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:53 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by ZodiakTL
it's worth the wait! some of us waited for the SC for over 2 years, and it was worth the wait to finally get it. now if we can actually optimize the performance, what's another 3-4 month
Just in time for the Spring races . . . and to save some money after all the holiday expenses.

Then again, it could have been a Christmas present. :P

Ruf
Old 10-14-2003, 07:27 AM
Revving at 9K...

You could run larger injectors. One reason why other applications would not be impacted is becasue they have a true air flow device in a MAF sensor. We use speed density where air flow is derived from the MAP and IAT readings.

I will be talking with them soon and will confirm the information about their system.
Good deal Steve. Keep me posted, because if there is another system out there that will work for both n/a and FI better than what the UniChip can, then I think we should make that decision in advance. Because I would hate to let them go through all the R&D for our cars, and then sell only maybe like 2 or 3 units.

Keep us posted.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:17 AM
Bagged hybrid

e-manage has also been used a lot with the Dodge SRT.

http://www.exhaustdepot.com/srt4/E.D.srt4dyno.JPG

Quick Reply: UniChip Possibilities