Uni-Chip Explained

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
the unichip will work w/ n20 as well. it can advance and retard timing.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by swt-cls
Just for clarification, the Unichip would be more useful for N/A cars right?
We will soon determine the answer to this, it is unknown right now.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:23 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was all ready to schedule some time off to go up to Oregon next month to get the UniChip installed. However, I've come across two things that I believe need to be addressed and fully explained by UniChip:

1) As per a phone conversation yesterday with Jack from UniChip, he claimed that the 5AT and 6 speed CLSs will use exactly the same PnP wiring harness. He also said that the complete wiring harness design is in his computer and ready to be sent out for production. So all we would need to do is get together a group buy for at least 20 people with 5ATs and 6 speeders. However, according to an earlier post in another thread, the connectors and pin outs on the stock wiring harnesses for the 5AT and 6 speed ECUs are different.

Originally posted by scalbert
Not to throw a wrench into this but it is very obvious they have not looked into a PnP harness in depth. The 5AT and 6-Speed ECU connectors are different. ...
If this is true, then it will be even more difficult to get a group buy going.

2) In the same phone conversation, he said that the UniChip will handle SC'd CLSs and didn't mention anything about any additional stuff needed. However, according to another post, SC'd CLSs may required addition injectors.

Originally posted by scalbert
IMO, I would not look at that. They claimed to be able to do the SC'd cars but after I spoke with the tech there he said, after I filled him in on our specifics and the limitation in the ECU reading boost (hence the need for the ESM in the Comptech kit), that they would need to add additional injectors.

Just FYI, the e-Manage has been in my car for over two months now without a problem. The original concept was that the UniChip would be for the NA cars and the e-Manage would be for the boosted cars. This was based on the abilities and shortcomings of both system and which could best satisfy the requirements. This may still be the case but it is unknown but will soon be tested. But, without a doubt, the e-Manage is still a preferred product for boost application as it does pull timing and can directly extend the injector pulse width. However, on NA vehicles the jury is still out.

I'm may be willing to pay the extra money to have the harness built just for myself. However, since I plan on adding a SC later this year, I'm not too keen on the idea of having to add addition fuel injectors for the UniChip. IMO this would negate the need for a PnP harness and would definitely violate my warranty.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by cls6sp03
1) As per a phone conversation yesterday with Jack from UniChip, he claimed that the 5AT and 6 speed CLSs will use exactly the same PnP wiring harness. He also said that the complete wiring harness design is in his computer and ready to be sent out for production.

2) In the same phone conversation, he said that the UniChip will handle SC'd CLSs and didn't mention anything about any additional stuff needed. However, according to another post, SC'd CLSs may required addition injectors.
At first I thought they were credible but this is now disturbing. Anyone with the '03 Helms manuals can see that there are different connectors used and the pin-outs are different. One connectors is the same number of pins but have different pin-outs. Below are links to the e-Manage harness diagram which shows the factory pin outs:

6-Speed 24P Connector
6-Speed 31P Connector
5AT 25P Connector
5AT 31P Connector

About the SC ability, how are they going to added fuel?? According to them they would alter the primary airflow signal which is impossible with the blower. It needs to be clamped below the current barometric which is well below the boost level. Meaning there is nothing to do but lean it out which is not what you want to do in this case.

It is obvious that the person discussing these matters is not well versed in this application. You cannot alter a signal that is already or needs to be clamped. Otherwise they need to control the actual injector output signal which according to them was not being done.

It appears they are making claims without knowing the facts. This is glaringly obvious with the two above claims in which there are hard evidence to refute it. This is what is worrisome.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:39 PM
Suzuka Master

In addition, this does not account for the NEP signal (Engine Speed Pulses) which is on another connector. I'll find out the actual connector and pin out for it tomorrow. But I beleive it is on A for the 5AT and C for the 6-Speed.

IMO, assumption are being made without knowing all of the details. This is not uncommon for marketing or sales; they just rely on engineering to make it work.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:41 PM
Suzuka Master

After thinking about this I need to make a correction to the above statement about the NEP signal. Since they are picking up the CPK signal they should be able to derive the RPM from that.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:22 PM
Instructor

I think we should all just say screw Unichip, and have Scalbert build us one .
Old 01-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Revving at 9K...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cls6sp03

1) As per a phone conversation yesterday with Jack from UniChip, he claimed that the 5AT and 6 speed CLSs will use exactly the same PnP wiring harness. He also said that the complete wiring harness design is in his computer and ready to be sent out for production. So all we would need to do is get together a group buy for at least 20 people with 5ATs and 6 speeders. However, according to an earlier post in another thread, the connectors and pin outs on the stock wiring harnesses for the 5AT and 6 speed ECUs are different.

If this is true, then it will be even more difficult to get a group buy going.
cls6sp03,

I don't think Jack actual made that claim, cause the last time I spoke with, he hold me one of the reasons why they would like to to a 6 speed in their shop is because they have to verify the connectors to make sure they can build a harness for that too.

As matter of fact, several month ago when I was going through the process of getting my car tuned, I've mention it to them that the connectors for MT is different than the AT.

I for one can't wait to see the results from E-manage.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:18 AM
One who Laps

Jack didn't make that claim with me, he simply stated they would move forward to do a plug n play with 20 CL buyers, six speed or auto.
If Scalbert can produce some nice numbers for the auto, it will make this scenario very interesting regarding the Greddy.
I like what I have seen from the unichip thus far and with having the option to buy it now, I have been tempted to do so.
I don't see enough people seriously interested in the unichip to even hope for a plug n play, so I just may wait to see what Scalbert's achieves first.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:49 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by CLS2001_97124
cls6sp03,

I don't think Jack actual made that claim, cause the last time I spoke with, he hold me one of the reasons why they would like to to a 6 speed in their shop is because they have to verify the connectors to make sure they can build a harness for that too.

As matter of fact, several month ago when I was going through the process of getting my car tuned, I've mention it to them that the connectors for MT is different than the AT.

I for one can't wait to see the results from E-manage.
I beg to differ... and are you calling me a liar?

He said "the PnP harness will be the same for the Auto and 6sp...". Now what he may have meant by that is that the layout and number of wires in it was the same for the harness and was only speaking in general terms, not specifics regarding pin outs and connectors. But I took it to mean the PnP harnesses were the same.

I will call him up again for clarification about the PnP harness.