Under Carrage Carwash and CAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under Carrage Carwash and CAI

I know I havn't been posting her for the past days but I thought of a good question.

Usually when I get a car wash I get underneth my car washed and sprayed w/ water. Wouldn't this get the CAI filter wet and thus let water into the engine?? I know during normal rain and snow water wouldn't be able to get to the filter but what about when water is sprayed straight up to your car from underneth??

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 02-28-2001, 01:10 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
good good question...

anyone have an answer?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 02-28-2001, 04:12 PM
Racer

Ok, first, when you get into the carwash and they spray water under the car shooting up.... YES, this would wet almost everywhere under the car.... But where our filter is hanging at, it's like a little room with windows. So instead getting the filter soaked, it will get it wet....

According to what I know, plus I used to have CAI on my other car.... Wetting the filter will NOT cause engine damage, cuz it will be only tiny vaper drops when it's being suck into the engine... and this will be totally fine, cuz by the time, those water vapor get into the engine, it will be pretty much dry up...

As long as your filter is not INSIDE the water and revving, you will be safe... So yes, you can say these cold air are pretty much safe for 90% of the times, and the only danger will be flooded streets with water higher than ur exhasut tip, which you wouldnt drive into it anyway.... Correct me, if I am wrong in anyway... Thanks

------------------
Edward
99TL, 01 CLP with stuff.
Houston(Sugarland),TX
Old 02-28-2001, 05:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Buy the bypass valve just in case. I live in the Northeast and need to drive through wet stuff often. $39 peace of mind....

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
-Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Prolarg M-6 lamps
Planning: Comptech Headers, Sways, CAI
Old 02-28-2001, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

When I checked the opening on the bottom had a big enough hole to allow alot of water in also, The water is like high pressure water shooting up into the engine.

Thanx for the input. I can now get my AEM CAI w/ peace.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.

Old 02-28-2001, 09:12 PM
Adult Supervision

Can the airfilter survive this type of water treatment or heavy rain splashing? I understand that the engine won't get watered but can the filter handle it?

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no money!
Old 02-28-2001, 09:29 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
why not just turn off the engine? with the engine off, the CAI isn't drawing any air/water in at all, right? a by-pass valve is most definitely a inexpensive insurance policy

------------------
Don't hate...intoxicate!

Satin Silver Type S w/ Nav
Old 02-28-2001, 09:35 PM
Adult Supervision

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmark:
why not just turn off the engine? with the engine off, the CAI isn't drawing any air/water in at all, right? a by-pass valve is most definitely a inexpensive insurance policy

</font>
Duh! Now I feel dumb due to this obvious answer!

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no money!
Old 02-28-2001, 11:21 PM
Ult
Instructor

also keep in mind that if the filter is a K&N filter, it's coated in oil (red oil). Last I heard oil and water don't mix. Thus, it shouldn't wick up the water as much as if it wasn't coated.

------------------
-Ult
Old 02-28-2001, 11:44 PM
Banned

Nova,

I include the bypass valve in Xephyr Performance CAI for a few reasons. Albeit it may be overkill for many individuals there are some circumstances that make it necessary much more so then just as a cute option. Often while driving on various freeways/highways I find myself coming upon puddles of unknown depth. When traveling 50+ mph it is difficult to determine the depth or length of flooded sections of road, even more so to slow down and try to avoid in traffic. Prior to installing the Bypass in my own car I had quite a few close calls with deep puddles as well as other cars while trying to manuever around them. The inclusion of the valve alleviates many of the concerns I had while installing my own CAI. In my opinion a $30+ dollar option does not seem to be heavy on the wallet in light of the thousands of dollars in un-warrantied repairs. The valve is certainly a "peace-of-mind" feature for many people, and a necessity for others. I continue to ship with the Valve primarily because of the liability concerns that are introduced when I as a vendor sell my products. AEM does not ship any intakes with their Bypass Valve for a multitude of reasons, the predominant reason is cost. AEM has greater financial resources to adequately deal with any legal issues or disputes that may arise with a customer that hydro-locks. This is a situation I would prefer not to ever address in a court case, so for me $30 for a valve included that affords me the protection and peace of mind that my customers are protected out of the box - like it or not

Chris Koncur
Xephyr Performance, LLC.

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black CLS Type S - Xephyr Performance Cold Air Intake, PIAA 19173(Yellow) Road Lamp Upgrades, Full Wood Trim, Spoiler, Best GTECH Sprint 6.05 Xephyr Performance Intakes

[This message has been edited by Xephyr2K (edited 02-28-2001).]
Old 02-28-2001, 11:49 PM
Team Owner

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmark:

</font>
You can’t do this because the undercarriage spray is something you drive over when entering the wash.
The nozzles are mounted at the entrance of the garage door.
They are stationary and you need to drive slowly over them.
At least the “Touch Free” place I go to is like this.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 03-01-2001, 06:26 AM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
As someone stated above it will be fine. I use to have an AEM on my hybrid. And going thorough the car wash will not hurt the fabric filter or engine. I had mine for over a year before I sold the car. Your engine isn't revving when it is going through the wash so it won't suck up enough water to cause damage. Also incase some people didn't know, some people actually install a system that sprays water into the air intake. It helps with detonation, but it mostly for turbo guys. But a little bit of water is good for the engine. But after having an AEM for a year, I've learned my lesson. Those things aren't called the vaccum cleaner for nothing. Even the mechanics down at my acura dealer laugh at those things. They usually get at least one integra after a heavy rain that has blown up their engine. I have stalled my engine before because I drove through a normal sized puddle and somehow it managed to suck up enough water to kill the engine. So you people with aftermarket lowering springs need to be more catious.
Old 03-01-2001, 12:19 PM
Suzuka Master

thanx everyone, Shawn, exactly what I was going to say, the car washes around my area you have to drive through or leave your car ON and let it go through a rail. I'll get the bypass w/ the intake for peace of mind.

------------------
CL-S