type-R or type-S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2001, 02:10 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
type-R or type-S?

my dealer has a geuine type-R on the lot and since these are becoming a rare thing because the new rsx is coming out, (question) would you trade in your S for a type-R? another thing that crossed my mind is, i wish the type-s was as hard to come by ar the R, i mean my dealer has at least 10-12 type-s' and one or two CL-P's. I dunno, just wondering you imput, don't rip me a new one for asking.
Old 02-17-2001, 03:21 PM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

I never had a Type R, but I did have a GSR for about 5 years. It was great but I did get a little tired of it in the end.

The engine was great and the car was quick and agile. I got tired of the noisy suspension and buzzy motor. The car flat out needs better noise deadening. I like listening to the engine as much as the next gearhead, but it gets old on the highway. If you enjoy listening to music while driving it's a drag. The suspension is very sporty, as it should be. The suspension travel is too short though. I didn't like bottoming out so much.

I'm sure the Type R is more wonderful than the GSR with its hand-built engine and beefed up suspension. I totally understand why it would be worth sacrificing even more comfort and liveability for performance. It's a compromise I was unwilling to make, but I understand it.

The deal killer for me is the screaming-yellow, arrest-me paint job, and the stupid, stupid, view obstructing rear wing.
Old 02-17-2001, 03:24 PM
Race Director

get a type s, what the hell type R's dont even compare to a type S. maybe the acceleration compare, a cl-s takes a stock type r, the only thing I am not sure about is handling, twisties.

type s is a luxury sports car,
a type R is a pure race car that is slower than the type s.

make the decision.
Old 02-17-2001, 03:44 PM
Advanced

i must of mislead, i already have a type-s, i just wanted to get opinions on the R.
Old 02-17-2001, 04:53 PM
I love my G sedan

Hey ackinup, before you trade in your Type S, remember to test drive the type R more and carefully, because I know that Type R has a extremely hard suspension that would make you vomit if you are not used to it. I mean it's very very uncomfortable as if you are sitting in a box that has nothing to filter out the potholes of the road surface. It has absolutely no comfort at all. But it's handling is even better than some FR cars.
Old 02-17-2001, 06:42 PM
Racer

Well, I had a type R up until about 4 months ago, and got a type S. I did WAY too much work, and spent WAY too much money on it. You can get a look at it on www.downivlife.com under Chris C. I have to say though, I don't feel as if the S is as fast as the R. Maybe it's because of the mods I did, or maybe because of all the noise? These cars are about the same 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile from what I read. The only thing is the handling, it was stiff (extremely compared to the S) but it was barable (even after the springs). BUT the S is a luxury car!!! If I could do it all over, I would just forget the R and get an S from the beginning! What it all comes down to, is do you want performance or luxury with almost the same amout of performance? I think the choice is obvious! When that RSX comes out with the type R though, watch out!

------------------
Why buy a special edition car and not drive it like it was meant to be driven
Old 02-17-2001, 08:29 PM
Race Director

i personally always feel that manual cars are faster then an auto car.

maybe its just me, but when you drive manual you feel like you are driving a lot faster than you really are.
Old 02-17-2001, 08:51 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by badazzS:
If I could do it all over, I would just forget the R and get an S from the beginning!
</font>
I had both a gsr hybrid and a R hybrid, and I feel the same way you do. I just wish I had the money back then to get the CL. Oh wait, I did damn. I just wish I was more mature back then i guess and if the type S was out maybe I would of realized my mistake earlier. I probably spent well over $25k on my civic. The Type R is a fun car to drive but it isn't a daily driver that is for sure. It sucks having to redline your car to get any real power out of it. Also I hear my old hybrid is up for sale again if anybody wants it. The riceboy is trying to sell it for $1k more then what he paid for it($10,500) and all he did was put on clear tail lights!!