two quasi-races on same ride home.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 02:03 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
two quasi-races on same ride home.......

My car was stock with like 2 gallons of fuel in the tank:
BMW 325 or 330 and a Porsche Boxster ?s type?

I was flying on 76 west leaving Philly on sunday night( had to rush home to catch the end of the Sixers game) and some dick in a BMW was parked in the left lane and wouldn't let me pass. I have a natural animosity towards BMW owners for obvious reasons. Most that I have delt with are real snobby. Anyway, as soon as i have an opening in the left lane I punch the pedel at like 75mph----i'm in 5th----and accelerate slowly right past the dude. The BMW let the car drift to right trying to scare me. It would've work if he was going the same speed as I He had that thing giving everything it had and I went right past the guy in 5th gear and the tach was relatively low at like 3.
Then I'm on 476 and I'm flying past most people and I see the lights of a Porsche Boxster. Not sure if it was a s-type or not. As I fly past him i slow just to give him a look. As soon as i go past him, he gets on it and flies past me. I had it floored and couldn't do anything. I had it in 5th so i really could'd pull on the guy with any speed. The car had a couple of car lenghts on me. Then same car gets off at the same exit. The ramp goes into this huge U-turn type thing to get to the toll plaza....Must have been doing atleast 65 and and didn't slow down at all. Meanwhile, I tried the same thing and I thought the back end was going to fly out and so I braked really hard. I got spanked but it was fun.

Can out car hang with the Boxster? It weighs like 700lbs less so i don't think so but anybody else race those things?

------------------
'01 Silver CL-Type S
!BEWARE THE SILVER SWORD!
Old 06-05-2001, 02:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One word for ya: downshift

There is no way you could pass by people in 5th

Switch to SS and downshift to 4th or 3rd to really go after them. I think you should have deffinetly given the porsche a better run for his money if you downshifted.

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...513&a=12224080
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:22 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

i think so too, i just really excited and nervous being that it was sorta my first race and it was a porsche.

------------------
'01 Silver CL-Type S
Old 06-05-2001, 03:37 PM
Banned

5th @ 75mph and your pulling on a 330? Sorry, try again...

As for the boxster, no, you can't out handle that car. In a 1/4 you can probably come close, but not to the Boxster S.

------------------
'98 Dakar Yellow ///M3
Surprise @ Forums atwww.BMWExperience.com
0-60 5.53 sec G-Tech
Picture here
Old 06-05-2001, 04:46 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

See this is the shit that i'm talking about these BMW guys think that they are King Shit and the world revolves around them. Apparently, unless you have a car that's more than 50k then you can't HANG with them. I'm telling you what happened, if you don't chose to believe me then put your head back up your ass. I didn't even down shift and I still kicked the shit out of him. Had i dropped it into 3 he would've seen a silver streak blow past him. What fucking purpose would I have to lie about what happened? So i get the praise of people whom I don't even know? To win some award? NO!!!!!! Hey buddy, GO RACE A LIGHTING! How does it feel when you roll up to a truck think you can beat it and then it beats you and you are left wondering what happened????

------------------
'01 Silver CL-Type S
Old 06-05-2001, 05:14 PM
Pro

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zapata:
I punch the pedel at like 75mph----i'm in 5th----and accelerate slowly right past the dude. The BMW let the car drift to right trying to scare me. It would've work if he was going the same speed as I He had that thing giving everything it had and I went right past the guy in 5th gear and the tach was relatively low at like 3.
</font>
You wouldn't even be able to pass a 325 auto if it was racing if you stayed in fifth gear. 5th gear has a ratio of .47:1, that's pretty damn tall. BMW's have direct 5th gear ratios. You can beat a 325 but not without downshifting out of fifth. If you you passed him while staying in fifth, then there is no way that he was racing. NO WAY!!
Old 06-05-2001, 05:30 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

You people must be either illiterate or ignorant. I'm telling you what happened. When two cars are against each other they don't break out the numbers from magazines and what the manufacturer says.......they go against each other. I'm not saying i'll beat every 325/330 out here but i beat this one.

------------------
'01 Silver CL-Type S
Old 06-05-2001, 05:30 PM
Safety Car

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by someguy:
You wouldn't even be able to pass a 325 auto if it was racing if you stayed in fifth gear. 5th gear has a ratio of .47:1, that's pretty damn tall. BMW's have direct 5th gear ratios. You can beat a 325 but not without downshifting out of fifth. If you you passed him while staying in fifth, then there is no way that he was racing. NO WAY!!</font>
Yep, what he said, NO WAY.

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...513&a=12224080
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.
Old 06-05-2001, 05:46 PM
Pro

You people must be either illiterate or ignorant. I'm telling you what happened. When two cars are against each other they don't break out the numbers from magazines and what the manufacturer says.......they go against each other. I'm not saying i'll beat every 325/330 out here but i beat this one.

</font>
He wasn't racing if you passed him without downshifting. If you don't shift out of fifth, a 325 auto will beat you. When racing go into the lowest gear possible. Passing a car does not equal a kill.
Old 06-05-2001, 05:56 PM
Pro

Meanwhile, I tried the same thing and I thought the back end was going to fly out and so I braked really hard. I got spanked but it was fun.
</font>
Oh, BTW. That is extremely dangerous. Braking hard while turning hard is a recipie for wrecking a car. Oh, and how does the backend of a CL get loose, it should understeer hard at the limit. I suggest you study this, and don't go outside the circle on public roads:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...nter_popup.xml

Old 06-05-2001, 06:14 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

i agree with you on the braking. I usually don't make that mistake but I only had the left lane of a two lane road that was turning the the right so it was a bad mix. Normally i would've taken i the inside line and pushed hard through the slingshot but there was another driver in the right lane blocking my path.
One more time, anybody bother reading the subject of my post QUASI-race. Shit man does everything need to be qualified around here? Kill or no kill, i passed the guy and didn't really have to get on the car I didn't know everything was going on the record for eternity. And when did i ever say KILL?????? NEVER!!!!!!!

------------------
'01 Silver CL-Type S
Old 06-05-2001, 06:18 PM
6 speed...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by someguy:
Oh, and how does the backend of a CL get loose, it should understeer hard at the limit. I suggest you study this, and don't go outside the circle on public roads:

</font>
actually, just lifting off the throttle while taking a turn can get the rear of a front wheel drive car squirrely (ask a 1st gen probe gt owner) even when the car is designed to push at the limit. this effect can be exacerbated by applying brakes and/or performing the maneuver on pavement with an incline or which has an odd camber (or fuel or coolant spillage). in addition, because the cl has such enormous disparity in weight distribution, bumps or other pavement irregularities can easily unweight the rear while the (heavier) front remains planted in medium speed turns.

[This message has been edited by tankmonkey (edited 06-05-2001).]
Old 06-06-2001, 04:22 AM
Suzuka Master

My car was stock with like 2 gallons of fuel in the tank:
BMW 325 or 330 and a Porsche Boxster ?s type?

I was flying on 76 west leaving Philly on sunday night( had to rush home to catch the end of the Sixers game) and some dick in a BMW was parked in the left lane and wouldn't let me pass. I have a natural animosity towards BMW owners for obvious reasons. Most that I have delt with are real snobby. Anyway, as soon as i have an opening in the left lane I punch the pedel at like 75mph----i'm in 5th----and accelerate slowly right past the dude. The BMW let the car drift to right trying to scare me. It would've work if he was going the same speed as I He had that thing giving everything it had and I went right past the guy in 5th gear and the tach was relatively low at like 3.
Then I'm on 476 and I'm flying past most people and I see the lights of a Porsche Boxster. Not sure if it was a s-type or not. As I fly past him i slow just to give him a look. As soon as i go past him, he gets on it and flies past me. I had it floored and couldn't do anything. I had it in 5th so i really could'd pull on the guy with any speed. The car had a couple of car lenghts on me. Then same car gets off at the same exit. The ramp goes into this huge U-turn type thing to get to the toll plaza....Must have been doing atleast 65 and and didn't slow down at all. Meanwhile, I tried the same thing and I thought the back end was going to fly out and so I braked really hard. I got spanked but it was fun.

Can out car hang with the Boxster? It weighs like 700lbs less so i don't think so but anybody else race those things?

</font>
If your talking about a stock CLS with those POS tires, forget about even staying close to the Boxster or Boxster-S in turns.

Now, if is running some really worn out tires and is a really bad driver *and* YOU have light wheels, (Max performance rubber), with header, intake, other goodies, then you can hang in there.

Too many variables to comment on a question like that with particulars.

As far as a quick stop light to stop light play session, I could hang with a Boxster-S until about 70 (with light wheels, headers, CAI, sticky tires...). I could get a bit ahead, but after 2nd gear (around 70), he pulled better.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 06-06-2001, 01:47 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

EricL,
That's what I thought. After looking at the weight difference, I thought the CLS would have a hard time keeping up in an out and out race. Thanks for the info.....

------------------
'01 Silver CL-Type S
Old 06-06-2001, 09:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes we can hang with the Boxster, not the S though, unless you run 14.0 in the 1/4...like EricL said, just change your stock POS Michelin's, that's already a world of difference

Patrick

------------------
'01 Black/Tan CL-S w/ Navi & spoiler
AEM CAI
Comptech headers & sway bars
Toyo Proxes T1-S 235/45ZR17 tires
15% tint, Infinity Perfect sub/PPI amp

'97 Acura Integra LS

"You don't need a shopping cart wing to go fast..."