Turbo for the CL

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 08:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Zapata
Ah ok so I understand the concept just didn't phrase it correctly Many pardons sir
It wasn't meant to be a knock on anyone but more of an expression of details. Corky Bell wrote a great book called Maximum Boost which gives a great description on this matter.

In the book he talks all about turbocharging along with a build of a custom system. This build up helps to illustrate the various aspects the the entire system from intake manifold, exhaust manifols, turbo sizing, intercooler selection and sizing, etc. But the bext part is the subject vehicle, an NSX. After the build up which was meant for pump gas and reliability, they ended up making about 400 HP.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:13 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
ahh, thanks 4 the words of enlightment scalbert and wires

last thing, I noticed that now superchargers are available w/intercoolers now, would that help an s/c just as much as it does 2 a turbo? thanks
Old 10-16-2002, 08:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by unsure
last thing, I noticed that now superchargers are available w/intercoolers now, would that help an s/c just as much as it does 2 a turbo? thanks
Without a doubt. It is not the aspect of having a turbo that warrants an IC, it is the Ideal Gas Law, Boyles Law, that and IC comes into play.

Whenever you compress a gas it heats. The amount it heats depends on the amount of compression and the efficiency of the compressor. But in either case air is being compressed and therefore, heated. If you can take heat out it will help power as cooler air is denser.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:44 PM
Who Needs a Type-S?

Originally posted by scalbert
Huh?!?!?

An automatic doesn't close the throttle when the brakes are applied either.

It has nothing to do with throttle opening as most ECU's will open the wastegate control solenoid when no load is detected. It is the very load that increases the boost stacking in the engine. Without load the exhaust flow is not significant enough to generate boost in most applications. Add to that the ECU opening the wastegate and there is no boost.

Of the several turbo vehicles I have owned I would never look at the stock boost gauge, an aftermarket unit was the only valid reference.

So you are saying that you would hold the brake and apply the gas while driving?? Wouldn't you be further down the road and moving faster it you bypassed this method and just downshifted and floored it??
Some automatics DO.

My Supra has a HKS electronic boost gauge, and a GReddy Type-S wastegate with EVC EZ and VPC

And my method is for a good launch from a roll...i dont know how you launch but when we line up at a roll, we're goin about 25MPH and one car honks three times to signal the start, so I brake-boost and at the third honk i'm out while the other guy is in 2nd gear waiting with his foot off the gas.

if you still dont understand then drop it cuz im tired of restating my words so you can comprehend
Old 10-17-2002, 06:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by tuRb0mikEy
Some automatics DO.

My Supra has a HKS electronic boost gauge, and a GReddy Type-S wastegate with EVC EZ and VPC

And my method is for a good launch from a roll...i dont know how you launch but when we line up at a roll, we're goin about 25MPH and one car honks three times to signal the start, so I brake-boost and at the third honk i'm out while the other guy is in 2nd gear waiting with his foot off the gas.

if you still dont understand then drop it cuz im tired of restating my words so you can comprehend
The only way for an automatic to close the throttle when the brake is applied is if it is a throttle-by-wire system. The throttle is a cable linkage with no connection tot he brake system. In fact, this would be the most ridiculous thing to have considering what it would do on the road course.

On a road course in an automatic you often use the brake and throttle at the same time. This mechanism would negate any benefit and seriously hurt lap times.

Please show me some pictures of a system that does this. Because as you have described it, this defies basic mechanics...