The Truth and Your Parents are good things at times

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 01:17 PM
Silver Bullet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Truth and Your Parents are good things at times

Listen to my great luck. I took my parents out for dinner at Castaway in Burbank. Then we checked out Hollywood and Highland Mall where we saw Harry Potter. Well, on my way home on the 101 near the Van Nuys exit, I see some lights coming up quick. I slowed down but it was too late. I was going around 83 mph. So the cop pulls me over. I rolled both windows down before he got out of the car because of the tint (illegal in california). He comes up and tells me if I knew I was exceeding the speed limit. I said yes. The he asks me if I have been drinking. I say no and then he tells me to follow his finger without moving my head. I passed. By this time, I think he might let me go but then he takes my license and walks with his partner to the car. Know I get that "Fack Me" feeling you get when your pulled over. A few minutes later he comes back and tells me he is going to let me go with a warning. I almost didn't respond. I was sooo shocked. I drove home with the biggest slime on my face. I was sooo lucky. I think they let me go beacuse I told the truth and have my parents in the car and maybe because its close to Christmas. Thank god!!! Anyone else get a warning? How did you get out of it?

Old 12-03-2001, 01:37 PM
'Cooter

i've only been pulled over once for doing 54 in a 25 zone, but i got it knocked down to a moving violation and an $87 fine.

what did your parents say afterwards?? did they tell u to slow down before u got nailed?? downshifting helps bring down your speed fairly quickly without "giving away" to the cops that u're braking b/c u know u're speeding...kinda like cheating
Old 12-03-2001, 01:46 PM
Darth Chocolate

Warnings? They can do that? Heh. I always get the ticket. But, all the tickets I've gotten were at speed traps, so the cop basically had the ticket written before he pulled me over. No chance for me to charm my way out of it.

Congrats on your good luck.
Old 12-03-2001, 03:04 PM
Silver Bullet

Ya, I did shift down, thanks thou. I have had like eight speeding tickets throughout my driving career. I think I know all the tricks. I just thought that this cop was sure to give me one. I usaually don't get out of them going around 83 in LA. As for my parents, they told me to slow down since we left the movies. Then when the cops went back to the car, they said "I told you so." But then when they let me go, I said "See, no problem" I am trying a bit slow today. Can't press my luck too much.
Hey scooter, so you went to court to see if the cop wouldn't show right? And when he did, you asked for it to be reduced right? I heard that in Van Nuys Court, if you do this, they won't let you go to traffic school if the cop shows. Is that true?
Old 12-03-2001, 03:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Truth and Your Parents are good things at times

Originally posted by madmax-cl
I drove home with the biggest slime on my face. I was sooo lucky.

Did you give the cop a bj? That might be why.
Old 12-03-2001, 03:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
In NJ you get warnings. I had 7 warnings in my glovebox piled up from a years worth of driving and for some dumb reason they just sat in there. Then I get pulled over by a state trooper and when I go to get my credentials they are sitting right there. Needless to say nothing makes you look better than 7 yellow slips (all of them for speeding) sitting on your lap WHEN you get pulled over for speeding
Old 12-03-2001, 03:11 PM
Silver Bullet

Originally posted by eclipse23
In NJ you get warnings. I had 7 warnings in my glovebox piled up from a years worth of driving and for some dumb reason they just sat in there. Then I get pulled over by a state trooper and when I go to get my credentials they are sitting right there. Needless to say nothing makes you look better than 7 yellow slips (all of them for speeding) sitting on your lap WHEN you get pulled over for speeding
1 out of eight is pretty damn good for my book, 8 out of 10!
Old 12-03-2001, 04:04 PM
Instructor

I've been pulled over my fair share. I was coming over a hill at (apparently 81 in a 70) and saw the cop right when I hit the top of the hill. The cop had it in drive before I could react, so I hit the brakes and had pulled over before he even got his lights on. I think that must have pleased him. So he walks up to the car and sees my radar detector and says, "Did the thing work?" Sure, it screamed bloody hell but when he hits you with the radar gun there's nothing you can do. So he runs my license, comes back and says, "OK dude, slow it down." No ticket, no warning.

About a month before that I had been pulled over in the same place (I know, I'm an ass) doing 94 mph. The guy wrote me up for 85. I went to court with my dad (I was 19 at the time) and told them that if I got another ticket, Illinois would suspend my license. That was complete BS, but it got me out of the ticket.

I don't speed much anymore.
Old 12-03-2001, 07:00 PM
Race Director

I've received a good number of warnings, mostly from cops who were unable to clock me on radar (wasn't in position, inteference from trucks, etc) but saw me obviously speeding since I was blasting passed all of the freeway traffic.

Once I was doing over 100 on the freeway 55mph (long time ago when the limit was 55) and I was passing a line of trucks when I got hit with the instant on. The Minnesota Trooper put me in his front seat and proceeded to explain that he could pick out the high pitched whine from the doppler radar (that was my car) but he couldn't get a lock on my vehicle (for the few seconds I was within the antenna's cone) since I was in the #1 lane and there were about 3 18-wheelers that I was passing. He was sure I was speeding but without some numbers, I got the warning.

Warnings are common. But so are the tickets.